SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Azarr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,034 Posts
Discussion
More Foamy Crack

Foamies are definitely addicting. Here are three new ones, the orange/green version is the new Lite Crack Yak from Twisted Hobbies. 5.6oz ready to fly, great for indoor flight. I was able to get a couple of unprinted standard Crack Yaks from TH and Gary Pierson (flyboyz43) painted them for me. Unbelievable airbrush skills. The round thing started life as a Crazy Bird and I left off the beak & feathers.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,150 Posts
Oh man... that paint is truly awesome! Sick lookin Crack Yak bro! Love the white flames in the leading edge...
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The MXS-C MINI - IT'S BIG
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:51 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Great airbrushing. I am still amazed at how that is done.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
49 Posts
Can you post a pic of the landing gear please. Anyone know if the gear will be for sale separate from the kit?
craig1980 is online now Find More Posts by craig1980
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:42 AM
Pro Bro 209
Ashmore,Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
127 Posts
I painted the yaks for Azarr, and in the kit, I didn't see any wheels. I did see the plywood horns and spar, and a couple of CF rods for what could be the gear legs...
flyboyz43 is offline Find More Posts by flyboyz43
Last edited by flyboyz43; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Jan 2000
8,034 Posts
The standard CY comes without gear. The Light CY uses 3mm flat carbon stock with a short piece of CF rod that you wrap with thread and CA to form the axle. You don't need to buy it separately, a piece of 3mm flat stock and a piece of 1.5mm rod and you'll have enough for quite a few planes.

There's a piece of 1mm ply that's inserted vertically into the fuselage bottom piece. One landing gear goes in front of the ply piece and up into a pre cut slit in the wing. The other goes behind the ply piece and when you're satisfied they're level you wrap the ply center piece/gear legs and hit with CA.

Pretty tough to get a picture of it, but this should give you the idea.

I built this stock because that's what the kit had, but for most of my light builds if I use a gear I just use a piece of 1.5mm CF rod. If you quickly lay a soldering iron on the CF it will melt the epoxy matrix, hold it at the angle you need for the axle and hit it with CA, now you have a one piece LG as light as you can possibly get.

Azarr
Last edited by Azarr; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
49 Posts
Great info Azarr! Thanks for the response and ideas
craig1980 is online now Find More Posts by craig1980
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:02 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
If you quickly lay a soldering iron on the CF it will melt the epoxy matrix, hold it at the angle you need for the axle and hit it with CA, now you have a one piece LG as light as you can possibly get.

Azarr
That is a great tip I never would have thought of but it makes perfect sense. Have you tried doing it with a jig and heat gun? You know, sort of like a music wire bender with a heat accelerator/enabler? The 1.5mm is sturdy enough?

Jim
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Jan 2000
8,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
That is a great tip I never would have thought of but it makes perfect sense. Have you tried doing it with a jig and heat gun? You know, sort of like a music wire bender with a heat accelerator/enabler? The 1.5mm is sturdy enough?

Jim
I've never bothered with a jig because different planes require different gear placement and a different angle on the joint, but I suppose it would work. I put a piece of heat shrink over the joint. 1.5mm is plenty strong enough for ~ 6oz or less, I've never tried it for anything larger. For my outdoor stuff I generally don't use landing gear. For heavier planes I use 3/32 fiberglass kite spars/music wire & sharpie them black. the FG is much more forgiving than CF.

A lot of the cheap plastic kites use 3/32 FG spars. If you wait till the "marts" close them out you can get them cheaper than buying the spars from a kite store

Azarr
Last edited by Azarr; Dec 19, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:10 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
I've never bothered with a jig because different planes require different gear placement and a different angle on the joint, but I suppose it would work. I put a piece of heat shrink over the joint. 1.5mm is plenty strong enough for ~ 6oz or less, I've never tried it for anything larger. For my outdoor stuff I generally don't use landing gear. For heavier planes I use 3/32 fiberglass kite spars/music wire & sharpie them black. the FG is much more forgiving than CF.

Azarr
The jig was more a question towards production techniques than anything. I get a lot of questions about landing gear for my Yaks and feel I need to do something. My preference would be to make them removable by having them key into the plywood center support with a piece of CF strip glued to the shaft and maybe seat into a piece of fuel tubing in the wing?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Jan 2000
8,034 Posts
That would make sense for your stuff. I like the idea of the fuel tubing, serves 2 purposes, removable and shock absorbing. I really like the FG rod over the larger diameter CF, very little weight penalty and much cheaper. Last time I checked, the kite shops were selling it $1,75 for 48". Might make a good optional accessory package for your kits.

Azarr
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:09 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
That would make sense for your stuff. I like the idea of the fuel tubing, serves 2 purposes, removable and shock absorbing. I really like the FG rod over the larger diameter CF, very little weight penalty and much cheaper. Last time I checked, the kite shops were selling it $1,75 for 48". Might make a good optional accessory package for your kits.

Azarr
I'm doing good with my CF wholesale supplier costs but i hear you on the brittleness. One of the things a local guy had done was do a silicon tubing "y" to do the central joint also which adds to the shock mount aspect. I will have to play with this over the holidays. I might try a 2mm version but i realize the 1.5mm is a 1/16" axle. The key piece you provided was the concept of bending and that will move this forward more than it had.

Thanks
RCG Plus Member