SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:01 AM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
ive seen both but i have heard with an 049 the hmmer is a bit underpowered.

... Mine wasn't with a TD .049. It was pretty fast and I was very happy with it until the day I put a VA .049 on it and suddenly had unlimited vertical. The Hummer was designed for the TD, so you might be disappointed in it with a reed valve motor.
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:38 AM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
Covered and ready for maiden

Finally (after moving house) I've covered the Idol. Aside from some indiscretions on the compound edges of the wingtips, I'm pretty happy with it. I've tested the engine in situ and although it runs well, it doesn't provide much power. At best, I think this will be a lazy (but stable) flyer... stay tuned...
jgumley is offline Find More Posts by jgumley
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:52 AM
Fan of ultra Micro RC and FPV
India, PB, Jalandhar
Joined Jan 2010
39 Posts
Fantastic build there. Really Nice Detailing. Mine flies real docile and stable which is without aileron. You may consider adding nose weight as mine was tail heavy with Battery behind. I had to move the 800 mah 3S lipo right to the nose behind engine to get correct CG at 20%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaramvelar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaramvelar View Post
After some tweaking with the CG, which is now at 20% a quick flight video. The Cox runs for more than 14 mins with the 1 ounce fuel tank did a quick video since the ground was very small.
FIRST LASER IDOL TEST FLIGHT (1 min 41 sec)
sundaramvelar is online now Find More Posts by sundaramvelar
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:06 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Looking good guys!

jgumley - You will notice that power improves after you go through a few tanks of fuel and the piston beds in properly. You will find the starting gets easier, more power and the ability to lean it out a bit more for more rpm in the air.

Part of the reason I don't recommend throttles on Cox engines is that they rob you of power... try it without one and you might be surprised at how well she goes flat out.

I do like the muffler and cheek material removal though.,.. must run a lot cleaner like that - my little Cox powered La Stick I built from scratch always gets soaked in castor!

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
sundaramvelar and boingk - Thanks for the comments and tips. Stay tuned for the maiden!!
jgumley is offline Find More Posts by jgumley
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:34 AM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
As much as I like the Cox engines.. I bet the Idol would be awesome (and quieter) with a PAW .03 diesel.
The PAW .049 would be too heavy.
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Oct 2004
211 Posts
sundaramvelar...... Well flown Sir... On a lean run should fly well. I bet it will loop
skaliwag is offline Find More Posts by skaliwag
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:38 AM
India, PB, Jalandhar
Joined Jan 2010
39 Posts
Thank you.

Loop

I doubt it. Here at 1500Mtrs from MSL it is not picking RPM more than 12000/- even when lean it reaches just 13500. I might have to do a rather steep dive for it.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:04 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,506 Posts
Sunderamvelar, Are you using the Tee Dee head, or the Surestart one? That will make a difference in power for sure.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
India, PB, Jalandhar
Joined Jan 2010
39 Posts
I am using a Surestart head,
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:40 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,506 Posts
The TD head will give a few more revs, that may help up in the clouds where you live. The combustion chamber is more like a trumpet than a bowl, giving more compression and power. There are some conversion plugs that will work with a Nelson type plug, and a Merlin plug that will equal the power of a TD plug. It is a bit cheaper too. The Nelson plug may be a bit hard to find where you are.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Apr 28, 2013, 01:49 PM
India, PB, Jalandhar
Joined Jan 2010
39 Posts
Thanks will definitely try that