SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jmpdgs, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:30 PM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Build Log
The Dynam ME-262 Project

Last updated on 12/14/12:

I've been a big fan of the 262 for years and have built several GWS foamies with varying degrees of success over that period. When I saw that Dynam had released a 262 I immediately jumped on the first one I could find in stock. I quickly discovered that I wasn't the only one in line. Although it took me a while to get my hands on the plane this turned out to be a blessing instead of a curse. By the time it had arrived there were already a plethora of folks posting and boasting about what a wonderful flying model Dynam had created. In no time at all the knives, glue, spackel and paint emerged as folks began to modify and improve that which Dynam had created. The results have been spectacular as everything that could have been improved seems to have been by one enthusiast or another. Naturally I took full advantage of this and compiled a list of mods that I knew I wanted to implement. Below you'll see the list and the pictures of the progress I've made.

This post is ongoing and will be changing from time to time as I experiment with new mods and techniques on version II. Most of the updates will be in the form of pictures. Each photo will have details of what it depicts. Great models deserve a great journey and this ones been a blast so far. I hope you enjoy the ride. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about any of the mods.

* Version I & II - Sanded off all of the injector marks on the tail feathers and undersides of the wings
* Version I & II - Moved tail feather servos to the tail surfaces and removed the unsightly factory installed push-rod tubes.
* Version I & II - Installed bisected flaps.
* Version I & II - Moved the ESC to provide adequate cooling.
* Version I & II - Installed Gun tubes to provide better battery cooling.
* Version I & II - Installed a CC 10amp UBEC.
* Version I & II - Opened up the battery compartment to allow room for two 2650-3300 mAh packs.
* Version I & II - Statically balanced the fan blades to minimize vibration.
* Version I - Installed .05watt 150ohm resistors into the LCD lines.
* Version I & II - Replaced the post struts with Oleo struts.
* Version II - Gear doors - (Nose door, and Mains)
* Version I - Apply vinyl appliqué to reinforce the bottoms of the nacelles.
* Version I & II - Fill, repaint and WBPE the entire plane.
* Version I & II - Install a high quality pilot figure.
* Version I - Fabricated a 50mm Canon for ME-262A 1/u4as conversion. (version specific)
* Version I & II - Nacelle intake modification.
* Version II - Leading Edge Slats & Flaps ( - click the link to see the video. While these are historically inaccurate, they are the only practical and reliable setup I've been able to find.)
Below are three links to short slat concept videos none of which I felt could be done reliably.
*weighted slats
*weighted slat - air pressure retraction
*drooped L.E.S.
The nacelle mod was originally done beautifully by Stacker. My version although slightly different drew directly off of his so kudos to you Dave (Stacker), on the gorgeous job you did there!
jmpdgs is offline Find More Posts by jmpdgs
Last edited by jmpdgs; Dec 17, 2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: updated - added content
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2012
1,078 Posts
NICE job!
Loukhan is offline Find More Posts by Loukhan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fleet
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,482 Posts
I'd pretty much written off the 262 but your blog has me sold again. like you I had the GWS 262 but had nothing but problems with it.

Great work
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:49 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Looks super!

--Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,482 Posts
Have you noticed any difference in performance with the reduced diameter on the intake? Stock power sys?

Thanks
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:51 PM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Nacelle mod - Any performance change?

Quote:
Have you noticed any difference in performance with the reduced diameter on the intake? Stock power sys?

Thanks
Alan
I've noticed very little if any performance loss since the nacelle mod. The stock power setup has more than adequate power for the model and the modification resulted in no noticeable loss of power or speed. The V1 modified nacelles are noisier than the stock units, but I expected that and I actually liked the quality of the new sound better as it was less whiny.

I have since redesigned the nacelle mod to make it easier. Versions 2 & 3 (V3 is destructive where-as V2 is non-destructive to the nacelles) now use a 22oz. styrofoam drink cup as the main intake former around which the rest of the nacelles nozzle is built. Steak & Shake drink cups just happened to be the exact right size. I've posted a new set of mod pictures which actually shows the two new & different modification techniques on my blog under EDF Nacelle modifications. a few posts under the ME-262 modifications entry.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,123 Posts
Very nice mods.
Could you post drawings for the ESC covers?
What paints did you use?

Thanks,
Victor
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:36 PM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBolt View Post
Very nice mods.
Could you post drawings for the ESC covers?
What paints did you use?

Thanks,
Victor

Hi Victor:

The ESC covers can be seen in two photos.

The paints I use are Createx latex airbrush paints. The colors are custom mixes.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:21 AM
scaleguy
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
Where to put esc's according to the mfg?

Where does dynam think you should place them without doing anything special like you did?

Ed
edfurche is offline Find More Posts by edfurche
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:28 AM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Factory ESC Placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfurche View Post
Where does dynam think you should place them without doing anything special like you did?

Ed
It' s been a while since I looked at the instructions but I believe they are meant to ride directly behind the battery in the fuse.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Mar 2012
17 Posts
* Version I - Installed .05watt 150ohm resistors into the LCD lines.

Could you explain this installation in more detail for a newbie like me? I would like to get the lights on my ME-262 working but have no clue as to how.
zorkahn is offline Find More Posts by zorkahn
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:30 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Looks super Joe.

Take care -- Dave
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:51 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,025 Posts
The nacelles mod looks nice, but aren't they too short still?

Not that it can be done like this quite, but it would need the amount of the new piece you added ONTO the front of the existing nacelle. Of course there is not enough 'face' to do that, so you would really start from where you did.. but end up that extra 50mm (or whatever it is) longer.
Plus the whole Dynam nacelle is too 'fat'.... but not much can be done about that viably - maybe 3mm to 5mm off the surface (circumference) could be done.
When they are made longer that would possibly help 'hide' a bit of the over-size.

I can also see a possible issue that the Dynam wing is a bit long in chord, so how far forwards, with respect to the fuselage, a longer nacelle would go... might be noticable. But I think the longer nacelle look would be better than any 'it is too far forwards' aspect.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 01:47 PM
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
It looks great!!! Where did you get your oleo's? I fly off a grass field and could really use the extra shock adsorption. Me being a noob to jets has nothing to do with it!
captainjerry96 is offline Find More Posts by captainjerry96