HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy Micro Quad V2 - As training quad?

Hi guys!

I'm currently scratch building a 550 quad(planing for FPV as well). I wish not to break it in the first flight so i was thinking:
would it make any sense to buy this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html
To start learning how to fly ?

I'm going to use the exact same control board for the big one.

And is this Turnigy micro quad durable or is it to cheap and break easily?

Thx.
DannerD3H is offline Find More Posts by DannerD3H
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
In the thread for that frame, there are a lot of users complaining that the arms break pretty easy right by the motor mounts. Other than that, I think the quad is supposed to be great.

Also, many suggest just getting one of the cheap small quads from BangGood to practice. That is what I did.
Porthos23 is offline Find More Posts by Porthos23
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
Well that sounds sad..

But the problem is that i would like to be able to use my own transmitter so i could get used to it.
DannerD3H is offline Find More Posts by DannerD3H
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:24 PM
Here hold my beer. Watch this!
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
428 Posts
That little quad will be an excellent training aid. If you want to get the product, make sure you CA some carbon or FG strip along to reinforce the weak points in the frame, where the motor wires pass through the arm. You will see where if you buy it.

They will pretty much break at the first light crash if you don't do this step.

That aside, it is arguably a better method to use a small brushless quad like the Turnigy or the Hoten-X or similar size instead of the tiny brushed quads like the Ladybird for training purposes.
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannerD3H View Post
Well that sounds sad..

But the problem is that i would like to be able to use my own transmitter so i could get used to it.
Yeah, I guess I could see wanting to use your own transmitter. I bought a Devo 7E for the quad I'm building, so a Ladybird V2 worked perfect for me to use as practice since it comes with a Devo 4, and the 7E works as well. There is a big difference in control though compared to the 4 and 7E. Using the 7E after programming it makes flying the Ladybird so much better.
Porthos23 is offline Find More Posts by Porthos23
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:34 AM
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
Lots of people say to buy a cheap Quad for training on but i personally don't think you need to, for me being new to RC i got a copy of the Phoenix Flight Sim, it has a Quad on it you can train on and it will help you get a feel for the real thing.

Now alot of people will disagree with me but iv'e now had my first quad in the air for 2 weeks now and have only broken one prop, iv'e been taking it real slow getting used to it and tuning it and i think by taking it nice and slow like learning to hover on a full battery pack and then moving on to something else i think you will be fine, a lot of people build it and try too many things when learning which results in expensive crashes.

Take it slow, learn the ropes and you'll be fine.
CH33ZEBURG3R is offline Find More Posts by CH33ZEBURG3R