SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Nov 2011
26 Posts
Discussion
Charging 6 individual cells in parallel

Hi. I am just wondering a couple of things about charging.

I have a MCPX helicopter which uses 1s 200mah (or 300mah) batteries. I also have a GT A-6 charger/balancer. I bought 4 additional 300mah batteries. So I have 4x300mah 3.7v lipos and 2x200mah 3.7v lipos. I am wondering firstly about charging them in parallel - what I am looking for basically is a cable that would connect up all 6 batteries possibly to my 6s charging port in my A-6 charger. Is this possible to do/get? I know when I am charging normal 3s1p I need to plug in the discharging connector before it will start charging (the deans connector total voltage). So is there a way to disable this requirement in the charger?

Also would there be issue with the differences in capacity? 300mah vs 200mah?

Another unrelated question, when I am charging my LiPOs and I am not in a hurry I often just set them to charge at .33C for example (very slow) or 1/2C. Is this of any benefit to the back to give them a much slower charge?

Thanks for your advice in advance.
aussiefly is offline Find More Posts by aussiefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Quote:
I am wondering firstly about charging them in parallel - what I am looking for basically is a cable that would connect up all 6 batteries possibly to my 6s charging port in my A-6 charger.
That would be Series not Parallel. In parallel six would be charged at 1S setting and only the charge rate would be increase by 6X.

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...-2-charge.html
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,959 Posts
Charge them in parallel, then there is no concern about the different capacities.

You need to buy (or make) something like this:
http://arkrc.com.au/hp-lgmcp6padap-m...-charge-board/
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=265

Charge current will be the based on the sum of all the individual cells.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
26 Posts
Thanks guys. WIth those cables you show they don't appear to be going to the balancing taps on side of charger. What setting would i select on the charger to charge the batteries using this? Because from what i remember if i connected only 1 of the 2 cables (i.e. did not connect either the main plug or the balance plug) then the charger would throw an error.

Thanks for your advice again.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Nov 2011
26 Posts
Also do the individual cell voltages balance themselves?

What would be the voltage if i connected a 3v and a 4v in parallel? (just for my own understanding). Would it be the average or the maximum? ( or neither!!)?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:13 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,959 Posts
I try to have the cells fairly close in voltage before connecting them.
This is easy with the MCPx, just fly them for a fixed time.

If they are different then the current will flow from the higher voltage pack to the lower voltage one till they come into balance. Some have said this current is not a problem, but I still like them to be close.

Can't help you with the charger question, all my chargers let me charge through the main power leads.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:06 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Most chargers will let you do an unbalanced charge especially for a 1S LiPoly.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer