HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:47 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
I've done the "paddle of shame" before:

Submarine Landing - RC Aerial (1 min 23 sec)

But sometimes a boat just isn't quick enough:

float plane down (RC aerial) (0 min 56 sec)
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:00 PM
Emergency landing expert
United States, CO, Vail
Joined Sep 2013
224 Posts
Icon

I'm cutting my teeth on the full sized Parkzone Icon. I own a Flyzone Beaver and couldn't be more impressed with the icon's water handling considering it has no water rudder. The Beaver likes to do 10ft circles while the Icon will do reverse powerslides like a jetski. Also helps the prop is in back so its a little harder to inflict damage. I like the earlier poster's idea of having a fishing rod and bringing the line out to the stranded plane with another RC. I could see any of my seaplanes being capable of doing the snagging. But its always tenuous when they lock wings and you suddenly realize you don't have the directional control to bring it all back. At least with the fishing line you are connected to the rescue craft and (hopefully) the stranded craft. Lets face it we don't all have canoes or boats at our disposal.
AlphaDeltaTango is offline Find More Posts by AlphaDeltaTango
Old Sep 23, 2013, 07:46 AM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,859 Posts
Surfing Youtube finds many idea that the boat guys have come up with,, from elaborate to simple

RC rescue boat, RCBSA, boat lift (3 min 26 sec)

Boat Retrieval Stl Thunderboaters Style (3 min 39 sec)

personally like this one, simple,

RC Rescue and Recovery Barge with on board wireless video camera. (7 min 3 sec)

I think it can be modified with a net that drops and lifts to catch the prop or tail, and cages around the props... A FPV system is a must too.
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:21 AM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Eh?
Joined Mar 2007
44 Posts
I fly at the family cottage and usually have a 9.9hp aluminum boat for recoveries. I used my cousin's 21' Baja once though. Fastest recovery ever.
Crazy_pilot is offline Find More Posts by Crazy_pilot
Old Sep 26, 2013, 04:02 PM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,859 Posts
Yeah, I have a 19' tracker with a 150 merc,, but I think the city officials would frown on me dropping it in the pond at the park,,
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:47 AM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
624 Posts
My Springer, rescuing a Wingo after a gust flipped it over.

RCBoater is offline Find More Posts by RCBoater
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:36 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,930 Posts
Recovery by Kayak

I've been the rescue boat guy at two float flys and four indoor float flys with my sit on top kayak, an Ocean Kayak Scupper. My outdoor float fly rescue boat career started with an 8 pm phone call from the event CD saying that he couldn't find the guy who was going to do rescue boat duty and asked me if I would bring my kayak to the float fly the next morning. My kayak had not touched water for a couple of years and I had to dig through the garage to find all of the parts for the roof rack and all of the kayak gear. By 11 pm I had it on the roof of my van and ready to go.

It worked out really well. They said I was faster in my kayak than the usual aluminum boat with an overworked trolling motor. One thing I didn't care for was recovering slimers. Since this was a spur of the moment event, I had not made any provisions for carrying the wrecks back except putting them in my lap. A very large fuel Seawind spiraled in from altitude and destroyed itself when it hit the water. All that was sticking out of the water was the tail, and I noticed later in the pictures that it had created a fuel slick around the crash site. I paddled up alongside it and grabbed the slimy tail and hauled it in and put it across my lap along with the wings and paddled it back to shore.

From this experience, I decided that I needed to put some sort of platform on the deck that I could pile the parts on and made one out of two plastic shelves that could be tied to the bow of the boat. I didn't get to use at at the last float fly because the only recovery I did was an airplane too big and heavy to lift. A very large Cub had splashed when it ruptured a float and all that was sticking out of the water was the tail. I paddled up to it and when I grabbed the tail and tried to raise it and it would not budge. I had tied a line to the stern of the kayak and tied a loop around the tail and slowly towed it in.
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Oct 12, 2013, 07:49 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,426 Posts
Towing is a good method, safer too for large electrics which would do damage if they came back to life onboard.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:45 AM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,930 Posts
The Cub was so large and heavy including the weight of the water inside it that it would have been very difficult to pull out of the water and get into a boat. I towed it in very slowly knowing that it wouldn't take much speed dragging it through the water to tear it apart. The airplane's towing angle worked out just right as I gently paddled the tail slowly rose higher in the water as the wings and most of the fuselage drained.

When I got to the shallows and the owner waded in and carried it to dry land, the electronics were hissing and sizzling until he popped the hatch and disconnected the battery.
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Last edited by Richard N; Oct 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 02:12 PM
Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
Joined Jun 2006
92 Posts
My flying friend and I have one simple rule - No rescue boat, no flying.

Admittedly we fly on big Scottish lochs that can get a bit wild, but even in the calm planes crash and they don't always stay in one piece. I've seen crashes where you almost need a seine net to gather the floating debris!

Dougie
deustace is offline Find More Posts by deustace
Old Oct 28, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Here is the one that i have used. Pink board special..
Montfly is offline Find More Posts by Montfly
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:49 AM
Emergency landing expert
United States, CO, Vail
Joined Sep 2013
224 Posts
Glad I had my rescue boat handy the other day. I was testing the CL415 without the water rudder (no diff thrust) and managed to get it parked nose first in some cat tails. (Too much to waid into at 35F). I used my boat as a leaf blower to push the CL back enough for it to drive away. It was just enough. Still have plans for a better designed RB over the winter.
AlphaDeltaTango is offline Find More Posts by AlphaDeltaTango