HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:34 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
Discussion
1/4 Scale Foam & Glass Spacewalker

Got this kit in a recent trade, and thought it would be a rather nice electric conversion. It looks to be a splash of the SIG Spacewalker II. In fact, I picked up a few scale details, and landing gear wire from SIG. It has a glass fuse, cowl, and wingtips, with foam foam wing cores. Wingspan is 84" & expected final weight will be around 11 lbs.
Been working on for a couple of weeks and here's a few pics of my progress so far. The tail feathers are scratched fron 3/8" x 1/2" balsa, with some 3/8" sheet. Cores are sheeted with 3/32" sheet and strips. Plan to power it with a Turnigy 6354-250kv on a 6s 5000mah pack.
tlh101 is online now Find More Posts by tlh101
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,705 Posts
tlh101,

Nice work so far. The big Spacewalker should be a really nice flyer. I like your method of partial sheeting on the foam wing panels - that will look nice covered.

Good luck with the project.

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:46 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
A few more bits and pieces done so far. I have finished sheeting both wing halves now. I made a tool to grove the tip of the wing so the fiberglass cap will fit flush.
I have also started on the motor and battery mount. I will be able to access the battery thru the front cockpit. Lots of room to get in and secure or remove battery. I built a tray that will be held in with a thumbscrew, and the battery will be velcroed to the plate. Saw this in another thread on RCG. Works slick in this set-up.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:39 AM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
OK, mount is glued to firewall and pinned with 1/8" dowels. I then made a cowl mount bulkhead, and the glued that into the cowl at the correct location. Three screw will hold the cowl on, and will accessed thru air intake openings on the cowl.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
Cut the ailerons from the wing and hinged them. They, and the wing cutout were faced with 1/4" and 1/8" balsa. I'm using large nylon hinges.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:58 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
Soldered up the landing gear also.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:39 AM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
Still working on it, but mostly boring stuff, so I have not been posting. I am now starting to cover it.
Now have the cowl ready for paint. Lots of pinholes, lots........ Prime fill pinholes, sand, prime, fill pinholes, sand, prime, fill pinholes, sand,etc. Did mention a lot of pinholes. Since I suspect the fuse had the same pinhole issue, I decided that I would see if, as I had read, you could cover glass with Coverite. The answer is, yes, with quite good results. Should finish covering the wing this weekend, and then on to finish work.
I think I will paint with a scheme I would use, if I had a full scale SpaceWalker. I really like the red/yellow scheme, but there are just too many done that way. I am going to use the same pattern, but I think I will use a cream base color, and a medium blue for trim. Maybe a green or orange pinstripe between colors. I am also going to checkerboard the bottom, I think.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:34 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
Finished covering the rest of the plane this weekend.
I have also decided to do a bit of detail, so I am putting some rib stitching on. It's not exact scale, but the "look" is there. I put some chart tape on coverite , then cut 3/16 wide strip and iron it down on the rib. Next I cut 3/8" strips and ironed it over the first strip. It's not "pinked", but scale pinking would barely show anyhow.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:25 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
Finally had some decent weather, that was not windy, cold, or humid, so I got the base color painted on the airframe. Hopefully it I will get the trim on in the next couple of weeks.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:15 PM
Walking with the Lord
United States, OH, Tipp City
Joined Apr 2012
312 Posts
Looks nice. Hey, just wondering. I see 3 spacers over each bolt to hold the motor out from the firewall. Do you think those will rattle loose? The bolt looks smaller in diameter than the inner diameter opening of the spacers. Have you done this before on other setups and it wasn't a problem? Just wondering. It seem from the photo that it may not be a positive solid mount. Maybe just an illusion though. Good work so far.
GravyBones is offline Find More Posts by GravyBones
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:21 PM
United States, IN, Grabill
Joined May 2004
1,519 Posts
Very nice looking airplane!
One of these days after I finish up some already started projects, I have a NIB 1/3
scale SIG Spacewalker awaiting its turn on my work bench.

I have a set of Jim Messer 1/4 scale Ercoupe plans that I have thought about getting a fiberglass fuselage and go with foam wings and do the detailing like you have.
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:19 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
The spacers are nylon and the hole thru them is just slightly larger than the bolts. I have used this same set-up on a lot of large power systems. This motor was previously used with the same spacers, nearly 3 times as long, so it will be plenty strong. The spacers are available from the harware bins in the local big-box stores(Lowes, H-D, ACE, etc). They are available in various lengths, daimeters, and with an assortment of hole sizes as well.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:51 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
I spent a couple of evenings this week laying out the trim scheme on the wing and masking. I was able to paint the wing today with Rustolium Real Orange, and I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I ponied up the bucks for some 1/8" 3-M Fineline tape to to mask the pattern. I used it for the straight lines, and cut circles of Frisket Paper for tight bends. The fine line tape leave a beautiful crisp line, and seal really well, as can be seen in the close-up of the paint on the rib-stitching.
Now it's time to mask the fuse and tail feathers.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:00 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
A little contrasting color.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:40 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
Getting closer.
Spent all day Sunday masking and painting the fuse and tail feathers. Now it's down to the deatails and finish work.