Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
Swat Team Member
LV, NV
Joined Apr 2003
619 Posts
Discussion
T-38's at Ace in the Hole 2012

Both jets were damaged, and they can be repaired.
See you in California...

Las Vegas Ace In The Hole T-38's (11 min 39 sec)

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
P. Richards is online now Find More Posts by P. Richards
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
Awwww!!! man ....so sorry guys. That was rough to watch. The planes came out so nice you guys are masters. The nice part , if there is a nice part to crashing is you made them yourselfs so it's more the time than cost that was lost.

I would have loved to see them in person... they must look massive in the air. Andy's looked really dailed in... looks like it just stalled on final. I know Brents was new but Andy's looked to have more power in the air... Brent's seemed to struggle to get on step...

I know you guys were going for scale here but I personally believe that these huge planes need a bigger fan, you would have to over size the inlets. It's awesome that they fly and fly nice... but I think there is more perfromance that can be pulled out of these airframe on E power with a larger fan... maybe twin 120's or even 128mm....I'm sure you wouldn't like the larger inlet, but sometimes that's what it takes to get these babies to really roll out...

With all that said Andy's did look very scale in the air and I'm sure the really plane doesn't have much more vertical than his

All around great job guys and I really hope you both repair them and stick with E power on these huge airframes
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:38 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
WOW, both those planes looked awesome. At first I really thought they both were turbine powered. Brent, agree with Ron, your T28 looked like it was constantly on the verge of a stall, but you know, I'm sure. I know that sight very well. My self imposed nickname is watchmestallital.

P. Richards, I'd love to break your balls, with the name-Swat Team and all that hoopla, but man, that was a really good video. You made those planes look so real.

Andy, I learned to the larger RC jets from Russ, during the Tam Jets demo flights. All I remember is him yelling in my ear on base leg, keep the speed up, keep the speed up. 90% of RC Jet waant to stall on base, sorry it happened to you. You did some very tastrfull fantastic flying. I get bored easy but your flying was just great to watch. Hope the plane is fixed to fly again. Sorry man, I was sick watching, I felt the pain like it was mine.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:39 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,015 Posts
SCALEFAN crashes are explained here--

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...59834&page=176
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
I guess the other thread explains fully, all the problems are explained as equipment failure. Doesn't really matter, ending was bad.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,306 Posts
The t 38 is a super sonic trainer i think it has. an impressive rate of climb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_T-38_Talon
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Oct 13, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:08 PM
Ellington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,022 Posts
I'd say 33000fpm is a pretty good climb rate.
JimF is offline Find More Posts by JimF
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:09 PM
Ellington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,022 Posts
Falcon, C/N, absolutely the best aircraft I've ever seen, live or on the web!
JimF is offline Find More Posts by JimF
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
Quote:
The t 38 is a super sonic trainer i think it has. an impressive rate of climb

I stand corrected.... I took a shot in the dark... it's impressive indeed
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Hey I got my supersonic "dollar ride" in a T-38 and as soon as a good model of one comes along I am all in, but IMHO both of these models were basically underpowered and you can't run run these EDF power systems WOT. I think the ESC failures and battery failures were due to this. Beautiful models and nice flying, I mean they were freaking awesome, but the T-38 models need to be able to cruise at 1/2 throttle or the end result will be bad. Please rebuild them. Please put 110 to 127mm fans with tailcone mounted ESC's in them! And take a note from the heli guys and disable low voltage or current limiting on your ESC's because, well, as Niel Young would say, "It is better to burn out than fade away"!
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:26 AM
Jets fly goooood!
Italy, Lazio, Ariccia
Joined May 2004
569 Posts
I love the T38, their slick line make them look fast even when they are standing at the parking

The sound is great but definitely totally underpowered imho.
First impression I got looking at the video is a big kite flying, probably the wind was quite strong but I think they deserve more.

Big models look even slower compared to smaller one just coz of their dimensions and this also didn't help.
I think there would be quite some space there to install a 110 mm fan, isn't it?
They are big and could carry the weight without any problem plus get a more stable appearance in flight and more performance.

There is another one doing a T-38 and is Bob Fiorenze, of course quite smaller then those here:
http://www.rcaviation.com/fiorenze/

here's a video
Bob Fiorenze RC T-38 Flight Demo (2 min 51 sec)

just for the one who was asking...

Gianluca
felix72 is offline Find More Posts by felix72
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:25 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,306 Posts
I have seen the fio t38 fly numerous tims. it does not have impressive vertical either.
they are such cool jets too. rral shame
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,515 Posts
guys lets focus on the total effort it took to build and fly these beauties,they know they were under powered ,but they made every effort to do the best they could with what they could afford.they learned a lot and really pushed the envelope for HUGE EDF.building these T-38's is like building a home built plane .the logistics of moving them and working on them took alot of effort. both these planes were very stable ,they needed very little trim and the C/G was spot on .yeah i think some high powered 115 to 120mm fan would be better,but hey they built them and they flew .my hats off to these guys.way back in the day if you ever saw one of Tom Cooks F-4's fly ...yeah they were under powered but it was a total thrill to see one fly .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
Well said Air Sally.

Everyone can view the good videos that Mr. Swat posted and make their own opinions as to what happened. When chit happens to me I immediately say the cause was pilot error and it ends any further discussion.

Suggestion for the future:

Andy, Brent, might try to secure some sponsors for the rebuilds. Yes it would mess up the scale graphics to have Jr Radio printed on the fuse, or Gyro Hobbies, but if that is what it would take to secure the proper power system, do it. I would gladly be a Sponsor, seriously.

Actually, the maiden flights could be the noon time demo at an event, canopy, PA system, and sponsors get their names mentioned.

Turn your fun hobby into a part time business..... Just don't prostitute yourself, it's easier than you think.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:07 AM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Well said Air Sally.
...Turn your fun hobby into a part time business..... Just don't prostitute yourself.. it's easier than you think.
"it's easier than you think"
Which part are you talking about Al? The "part time business" or the "BUSINESS"

Oh yea; major league "well done" to you guys......those '38's looked superb!
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren