HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
tigreflyer, that was a many years ago LOL, however, as Kiwi noted, I recall that the lighter Shoestring was the more agile and smoother flying model. The Magician that I flew did not have flaps and it was a "heavier" CL model with a much bigger "eyecandy" impact. The model was just fun to fly and I enjoyed it. After 45 years it is a bit hard to recall actual traits other than the enjoyment we derived from flying these CL planes when we were younguns.

Soft landings,

Joe
Shoestring was better than a Ring' any day. More wing area and better moments.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:22 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
The Shoestring was a great flyer. And there was just something about building a Goldberg model that was more fun than building any other brand. Kinda like playing an old Gottlieb pinball machine, it was hard to say why but they were always more fun than any other brand of pinball.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:42 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
The Shoestring was a great flyer. And there was just something about building a Goldberg model that was more fun than building any other brand. Kinda like playing an old Gottlieb pinball machine, it was hard to say why but they were always more fun than any other brand of pinball.
For one, at least for me, they were well engineered, parts fit well without much need for trimming. The wood was of a decent quality. No additional engineering was needed, they flew well after building if one adhered to their instructional comments. They were "a builder's kit", all IMO.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
Glider Guider
United States, CA, Lomita
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Best flying CL models

Ming, if my memory serves me correctly, it was sometime in mid 50's
so can't be of much help with '63 event. Had moved on to hot rods,
and girls by then.

Smokin Joe
smokinjoe22 is offline Find More Posts by smokinjoe22
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:53 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
495 Posts
Rats. Wuz hopin' you'd have some recollections of my late friend Bill James.

Ah well. Thanks for the input, Joe!
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:15 AM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,043 Posts
Carl Goldberg Little Toni with McCoy .29 Redhead, about '67-'68. Built exactly to print, silkspan and butyrate, kit box-art red with supplied decals, 60 foot Sullivan lines, forget whose handle. As a teen with much Cox CL flying background, I found it the perfect introduction to what I called at that time "Real CL Flying". I'll find it someday as I'm clearing out the garage and post a photo.
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Balsabird, what is there to find, the handle? or Little Toni?

Similarly, after the half A's, the 42" span Sterling P-51 profile on 52' lines introduced me to real CL flying.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post
Balsabird, what is there to find, the handle? or Little Toni?

Similarly, after the half A's, the 42" span Sterling P-51 profile on 52' lines introduced me to real CL flying.
The first successful loop I ever did was with a Sterling Mustang with an ancient K&B Greenhead Torp .29 3-bolt case for power. The motor had been run so much that the bearing was egg shaped and it had little compression unless you used Fox Superfuel, once it started though it still ran great.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Sounds like the cure for a worn Torp was more nitro. I guess today's suitable replacement would be the OS ABN 25LA-S.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post
Sounds like the cure for a worn Torp was more nitro. I guess today's suitable replacement would be the OS ABN 25LA-S.
More oil- it bumped the compression up enough to get it started. Superfuel is 5% nitro and 29% castor oil (at least that is what it used to be). The OS is probably about right today.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
736 Posts
My first big plane was a Ringmast Jr with a Fox 15X. Next was a Sterling Mustang with a Fox 35, and it flew very well. I built another one a few years ago, and it is a fine flyer also. I always wanted to build a Magician, but the hobby shop never got one in. So over the last few years I have built four of them off of Midwest plans. The first one with a Fox 35, and the rest with McCoy 40 Red Heads. It really is a fun plane to build and fly.
Jim Kraft is online now Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft View Post
My first big plane was a Ringmast Jr with a Fox 15X. Next was a Sterling Mustang with a Fox 35, and it flew very well. I built another one a few years ago, and it is a fine flyer also. I always wanted to build a Magician, but the hobby shop never got one in. So over the last few years I have built four of them off of Midwest plans. The first one with a Fox 35, and the rest with McCoy 40 Red Heads. It really is a fun plane to build and fly.
Slick...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:28 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
878 Posts
While I was 14, my friends and I tried flying combat with almost all of our planes. The Yak-9 and P-51 were "supposed to be" for combat, it said so on the kit box. The closest we got to any cuts on each others' streamers was on the order of 20 feet apart. We mostly hit the ground with the first ones.

When we built from scratch using templates saved from the kits, they flew some degree better. With the second generation, maybe each one of us had gotten at least one cut. The third generation had the same wing and tail, but a Circus King fuselage, instead, and fixed flaps. Those finally were getting close to being capable of some respectable close passes, and occasional cuts, but by then, we'd either begun losing interest, or building better planes (Nobodies, Half-fasts, etc)

I built one from a kit when I was 54 or so, replacing a lot of the wood. It flew better than I remember any of the ones from my youth flying, but much worse than I'd consider as particularly "good". On the other hand, I never had a really "bad" Magician. They were all respectable, some just better than others.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
"I built one from a kit when I was 54 or so, replacing a lot of the wood".

I will never forget Doc Passen writing me one time and mentioning Sterling kits:

"You got one leading edge that was so light it almost floated away when you opened the box, and the other one was heavy enough to beat a grizzly bear's brains out with".

I still get a chuckle out of that one.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:00 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
495 Posts
Doc was a classic!

This is a fun thread.

Like your pics, Jim Kraft!
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming