HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:38 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,237 Posts
As a missle crew commander once told me "I'm an urban engineer, I redesign cities" (this is refering to himself, not me)

With 20 years of military service, I've built quite a few targets...

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:25 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
My first "best flying" plane? A Top Flite(?) Combat Kitten. Was finally able to begin learning to do stunts with one. (Previous couple of planes were "plank wing" type trainers.)
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
My first "best flying" plane? A Top Flite(?) Combat Kitten. Was finally able to begin learning to do stunts with one. (Previous couple of planes were "plank wing" type trainers.)
I still have the (double) kit in the kit stash, must build "someday".
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG97322 View Post
As a missle crew commander once told me "I'm an urban engineer, I redesign cities" (this is refering to himself, not me)

George
With an ICBM, you have roughly 30 minutes between the launch and the big boom. The SLBM's it depends on where the boomer is located relative to you.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:03 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,630 Posts
A Goldberg Shoestring Stunter with a Fox .35....and then I got hold of a Midwest Magician and put the Fox .35 on it. THAT plane was really FUN!

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:04 AM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,237 Posts
My favorite plane was a flite streak without the wingtips powered by a modified McCoy redhead 29. I omitted the landing gear infavor of a wire skid, so hand launch was required but it sure was fun. I kept it out of the ground for several years (to my surprise). That was back in the mid 70's

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
A Goldberg Shoestring Stunter with a Fox .35....and then I got hold of a Midwest Magician and put the Fox .35 on it. THAT plane was really FUN!

Soft landings,

Joe

What were the flight characteristic differences between these two planes?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
Magicians with and without coupled flaps flew far differently than one another.

The unflapped one was the better flying one, if the finished weight was reasonable. I had a couple of each back when Midwest first kitted it. The kit wood was typical for that company, hard and heavy, but less heavy than a Sterling selection.

A heavy Magician, coupled flaps or not, might not fly as well as a Goldberg Shoestring. Both were good fliers when built at good weights for their sizes.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
1st Good flying ?

Self designed Mono Boom ... Mono booms were hard to come by in Oz , as we mainly flew Euro / British designs ..

So obviously I had to have one :

Voodoo - Great flying wing ! Loved mine

Anyone have a plan ?

A combat wing makes for a great flying machine , especially when enough power is used to pull it around ..
A well balanced Voodoo with a stunt engine = 1 great flying plane. The Voodoo would take a trouble free 31/2 Oz surge tank, and perfectly balanced should turn a 1 1/2 foot loop. I like the looks of John Jo's Super Voodoo but it's designed around a pacifier.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:40 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,305 Posts
Ringmaster Jr with Hope19, Veco Warrior (60's style) with McCoy 19 and Stallion 35, Magician (Midwest) with Fox 35 and Stallion 35.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:56 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,630 Posts
tigreflyer, that was a many years ago LOL, however, as Kiwi noted, I recall that the lighter Shoestring was the more agile and smoother flying model. The Magician that I flew did not have flaps and it was a "heavier" CL model with a much bigger "eyecandy" impact. The model was just fun to fly and I enjoyed it. After 45 years it is a bit hard to recall actual traits other than the enjoyment we derived from flying these CL planes when we were younguns.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:40 AM
muncheyboy
Joined May 2011
57 Posts
c/l

out of the box the best flyer for me was the cox crusader. plastic fusl. & foam wings. at first i wasnt sure about the foam, but after a few flights it was my best flyer, not my favoret looking cox. that would be one of the later cox stukas. it had a 3rd string in the middle of the handle, when you pulled that string it would bend a pice of plastic over enough to release a bomb. & the canopy slid on both pilot & rear gunner. it also had the small props on the wheel skirts witch on the real ones charged up the electronics. ... larry
muncheyboy is offline Find More Posts by muncheyboy
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:21 PM
Glider Guider
United States, CA, Lomita
Joined Dec 2007
73 Posts
Hi All, what a trip down memory lane. Built my first CL plane in about '54, a
Veco Tomahawk covered in nylon with buterate dope. Had a Johnson 35 which
had a nasty habit of kicking back. Taught to fly myself on it and it survived over
200 flights. Next was a Flite Streak with a Torpedo .29 covered in silkspan, which I'd say was my best flying plane due to it's light weight. Could do 6 foot inside loops going full throttle. Graduated to a Zilch X-pendable which looked like a ringmaster with a built up fuse, then a Veco Smoothie, a Thunderbird, a scratch built Ruffy, and finally a Nobler which was the smoothest of them all. Think I was about 11 years old when I flew the Nobler in the NATS at the Los Alamitos Air Station in Calif. A club called the Harbor City Barnstormers had just formed and I was very fortunate to fly with some very talented fellows who shared their skills and taught me alot. There was a hobby shop near Western and PCH operated
by a chap named Clarence. Am now thinking it may have been THE Clarance Lee who later became famous as an engine guru. Would love to know if anyone was around then and could confirm if it was the same Mr. Lee.

Smokin Joe
smokinjoe22 is online now Find More Posts by smokinjoe22
Last edited by smokinjoe22; Nov 09, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:08 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG97322 View Post

George
Happily.. That level of Moron never got do do anything other than sit on his enlarged Ass and babble incoherently ..:-)
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:02 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
Quote:
Los Alamitos Air Station in Calif.
Smokin' Joe:

Would that have been in 1963?

If so, my control line "Mentor", a pint-sized fellow by the name of Bill James, placed 3rd in Open Combat there. I have a couple of pics of him at that event.

If you were there in '63... did you go watch Open Combat? If so, do you remember any particulars?

Thanks.
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming