HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by critter1340 View Post
That is right we will just build our own, and the Shoestring Stunter is one of top shelf models. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PPHmzOpBys&feature=plcp
Nice.

Quote:
But we should have bought a lot of Cox planes and put them away, I flew all mine...
Who would have thought 40 years later, they would be worth so much? That goes with just about everything from that era. Remember the GI Joe soldier dolls of the 1960's? Who said guys didn't play with dolls? Those now command a premium.

With Bernie at Cox International and a few others selling Cox .049 engines, Black Hawk and Brodak selling kits, Outerlimits.co.uk, AMA and a few others making plans available, one can still recreate at least the balsa kits and plans in all their glory.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
2948 scale Combat
Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
I will tell you that the Flite Streak is a good flyer too with the OS.25LA
I have been away from these to long

Don's Control Line Flite Streak.mp4 (1 min 57 sec)
critter1340 is offline Find More Posts by critter1340
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by critter1340 View Post
I will tell you that the Flite Streak is a good flyer too with the OS.25LA. I have been away from these to long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEkJK3JT0KU
Fantastic flight speed and elevator action. Yes, the Schneurle increased output allows one to use a smaller displacement motor. Also enjoyed watching
Doug B Ringmaster 5th Annual Fly a thon (4 min 52 sec)
with the Ringmaster. Just watching your videos urges me to complete the repairs to my Ringmaster Jr. with OS Max 15FPS.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinTX View Post
The Cox Spook was earlier and flew well, but it was at the wrong time and place to sell well.

For decades I've always wondered do those 3 blade props perform differently from a regular 2 bladed prop? IMO that ME 109 is the best looking RTF Cox ever marketed.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:28 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Hmmm

1st Good flying ?

Self designed Mono Boom ... Mono booms were hard to come by in Oz , as we mainly flew Euro / British designs ..

So obviously I had to have one :

Voodoo - Great flying wing ! Loved mine

Anyone have a plan ?

A combat wing makes for a great flying machine , especially when enough power is used to pull it around ..
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:19 AM
2948 scale Combat
Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
This is going to be my next best flyer, at least till I get the new S 1 Ring finished.
critter1340 is offline Find More Posts by critter1340
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:46 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,688 Posts
C/L? Cox peewee powered pitts.. it flew. Its survived crashes,. The engine started and ran. All of these things made it unique in my experience.

Later on others flew better, but that was the first.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2008
1,069 Posts
My first serious CL was an SV12 with an OS45VF. When I first flew it I was going OMG what a joy to fly it. It was a wonderful experience. Motor run like nothing I had before that time the plane would do anything. Finally I could focus on the flight instead of worrying.
Traian is offline Find More Posts by Traian
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:51 AM
NOT SCREWED UP
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2011
359 Posts
1/2a Mirage with cox black widow .049 built from plans from outerzone website. This thing has a 33 inch wingspan, built very light and is absolutely mental. Does it all extremely well.
Although i have to say my favourite is the Flitestreak with OS25FP.
Alf
alf.g is offline Find More Posts by alf.g
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alf.g View Post
1/2a Mirage with cox black widow .049 built from plans from outerzone website. This thing has a 33 inch wingspan, built very light and is absolutely mental. Does it all extremely well.
Although i have to say my favourite is the Flitestreak with OS25FP.
Alf

What does that Flite Streak weigh, how's it fly, what kind of fuel system, how much elevator movement do you use, do you sweep back your lead outs, add outboard tip weight, use any engine offset, what do you use for covering/dope and what plans did you build from?

And, how do you think that 1/2 A'd run with a Killer Bee?

And that OS 25FP, does it 2 4 2?
Last edited by tigreflyer; Oct 19, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
1st Good flying ?

Self designed Mono Boom ... Mono booms were hard to come by in Oz , as we mainly flew Euro / British designs ..

So obviously I had to have one :

Voodoo - Great flying wing ! Loved mine

Anyone have a plan ?

A combat wing makes for a great flying machine , especially when enough power is used to pull it around ..
Barry Baxter has it on his list:

http://www.controllineplans.com/frameset2.htm
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I used to fly with John Jo and the Sky Burners out side of L.A. in the mid 70's. His Super Voodoo is fine looking, is a study in light construction design, and one of the best balsa FC plane designs. And that has be considering changing my 1/2 A plane plans and building one of my single boomer Nemesis. I originally ordered enough weight graded wood to build 4 planes but I built 3 and that primo wood that's been sitting unmolested for 32 years in warm, safe environment is beginning to talk to me. I'd built around a dozen modified Voodoos before deciding to build 4 planes that'd fly far better than anything I'd ever built. Nothing was faster than a Voodoo but the Nemisis was better in turns. I hoped the very light plane would hit around 107 MPH on 10% nitro without a streamer. With my best engine, set very lean the plane would do 123 MPH. Where a Voodoo would do around a 3 to 4 foot loop, my plane would turn a foot and a half one in a 120+ MPH blur. Also, with the smaller sprinkler head insert the plane will fly well at 1/2 that speed.
Last edited by tigreflyer; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
from mem , I found a Kit [ Voodoo - old stock ] in a hobby shop .. As it was gathering dust , I made them an offer , and went home with a box of balsa ..

Since we dont fly much open combat here [ Oz ] I built mine to take 2.5cc engines , and I think the first engine to go in there was either a Fox 15BBsch , or a Super Tigre G20-15 ..
Either way , there is a long list of engines that pulled that Voodoo all over the sky for quite a few years . [ Was my Sunday flyer ]

One of my favorite combos was the Voodoo with a Rossi 15 RV diesel for forward momentum ..

I thought the Voodoo just about right with a 2.5 up front for power [ FAI set up ]

A few years latter I built another mono boom , this time I went for the lightest possible air frame , it was powered by a fox 15BB sch on 20% nitro and it was hauling , and would turn inside of 1 meter and lose very little if any speed , it was really a lot of fun to do a few laps and then pull 5 or 6 consecutive loops and then pull out of the loop and have barely lost any speed ..

After doing this a few times , I did it one last time and on about the 4th loop the model exploded into confetti , it was quite amusing to see the motor still screaming and attached to the dummy slowly descending to the ground [ attached to the lines VIA safety wire ] among'st the falling left overs of what was possibly the best mono boom I ever built ...
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
My first prototype exploded spectacularly at 120+ too! I'd never used such light wood to build and was unaware about how much Coverite would move balsa.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:32 AM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
135 Posts
My first planes were Scientific "Hollow Logs" - but they flew as good as I could.

Then came some Ringmaster Juniors and Junior Flite Streaks - they flew as good as I could. I guess most of them flew better as I flew better.

My first plane with flaps was a scratch built scaled down Ruffy with a Max-I .15 for power. It flew very well. I built several of them.

But backing up a bit, I would say my first good flying plane was a Scientific Little Devil powered by a Space Bug Junior...but landing, that is another subject.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb