HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:53 PM
Build em lite......
Joined Apr 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
I was really careful and used maybe 1/4 of a tube in my build.
Thank you very much......good information as it helps to quantify the expected amount weight attributed to glue.....appreciate your input. Would appreciate your further input as to your RTF weight and set up used. Thanks much......
nkhamlue is offline Find More Posts by nkhamlue
Last edited by nkhamlue; Oct 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:08 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
I was really careful and used maybe 1/4 of a tube in my build.
That's probably close to my build also. I started with a tube that was already ~ 1/2 used and still a bunch left. It takes very little glue to make a joint stronger than foam. I run a small bead down the center of the foam and then spread it with a paint knife, it also removes any excess.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:13 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardenflyer View Post
Only thing that really sticks out in my mind is the landing gear. Wish it wasn't extra with the original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
I agree, which is one of the reasons we went with the new gear design on the Lite series.
There's no reason not to use the "X" type gear on the standard CY. I prefer mine without LG, but the guys over in indy have been adding the "X" gear using 1.5-2mm round CF rod.

The gear on the Lite CY is really holding up well, I gave it a major test yesterday doing a vertical figure 8, the bottom was just a little too close. The use of the vertical ply piece in the bottom of the fuselage is just a great idea and something I hadn't seen before. Not only does it give a tie off point, but it distributes the force from a hard "arrival" instead of concentrating it at the crossover point.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Last edited by Azarr; Oct 18, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:03 AM
Prague Ruzyne, Czechoslovakia (former)
Joined Jan 2003
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
There's no reason not to use the "X" type gear on the standard CY. I prefer mine without LG, but the guys over in indy have been adding the "X" gear using 1.5-2mm round CF rod.

The gear on the Lite CY is really holding up well, I gave it a major test yesterday doing a vertical figure 8, the bottom was just a little too close. The use of the vertical ply piece in the bottom of the fuselage is just a great idea and something I hadn't seen before. Not only does it give a tie off point, but it distributes the force from a hard "arrival" instead of concentrating it at the crossover point.

Azarr
I believe that the 3x1 flat CF is ideal. Very strong for a normal landing, while able to flex back if the landing angle is very steep (aka crash). The optimal leg size for the CY is 18 to 19 cm.
David Kyjovsky is offline Find More Posts by David Kyjovsky
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:06 AM
Prague Ruzyne, Czechoslovakia (former)
Joined Jan 2003
480 Posts
Quote:
Is it possible for you to ask him about a 2mm prop adapter? That would allow using a motor like the Hacker A10-9L without having to machine a special shaft.

Azarr
Armin says sorry, no 2mm prop adapter...
David Kyjovsky is offline Find More Posts by David Kyjovsky
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
Build em lite......
Joined Apr 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
That's probably close to my build also. I started with a tube that was already ~ 1/2 used and still a bunch left. It takes very little glue to make a joint stronger than foam. I run a small bead down the center of the foam and then spread it with a paint knife, it also removes any excess.

Azarr
Thanks for your input as well Azarr....much appreciated. The Twisted folks and the RC Factory people have come up with some great concepts in this Lite version. I would like to match their diligence and take pride in building Lite......
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:44 AM
Joined Jan 2006
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhamlue View Post
Thanks for your input as well Azarr....much appreciated. The Twisted folks and the RC Factory people have come up with some great concepts in this Lite version. I would like to match their diligence and take pride in building Lite......
Well said....agree 100%. Good luck with the Lite build.....
Nimbus Dave is offline Find More Posts by Nimbus Dave
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:07 AM
Build em lite......
Joined Apr 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kyjovsky View Post
I believe that the 3x1 flat CF is ideal. Very strong for a normal landing, while able to flex back if the landing angle is very steep (aka crash). The optimal leg size for the CY is 18 to 19 cm.
Thanks David...good suggestion. Will give it a try.....
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:55 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,655 Posts
I've had about three hard crashes on the gear, enough to break a prop, and no damage. The gear design is great.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:16 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhamlue View Post
As weight reduction is a significant feature of this new Lite version, was hoping for a more detailed/informative answer.....thank you for your reply.
With welders you wipe away all of the glue that does not actually go into the joint. So, I could have used three tubes or a quarter of a tube and ended up with the same amount of glue on the plane.

I was thinking that you were trying to figure out how many tubes to order.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
With welders you wipe away all of the glue that does not actually go into the joint. So, I could have used three tubes or a quarter of a tube and ended up with the same amount of glue on the plane.

I was thinking that you were trying to figure out how many tubes to order.
Good point Chris and nice tip, that's great way for removing unnecessary weight.
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:22 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,655 Posts
Video is here guys!

Crack Yak Lite (3 min 45 sec)
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:28 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,953 Posts
Nice flying Cody.

Awesome plane!

Pilot might have something to do with it too...

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:30 AM
OSMBuddha
KC Mo
Joined Mar 2007
784 Posts
Awesome flight!
nagayama13 is offline Find More Posts by nagayama13
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:41 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,487 Posts
Nice video Cody! Looks like you were having a lot of fun with this one.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot