HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
crack yak...its still plenty light enough to fly indoors if need be but great for outdoor
I would agree!!! i would do the V1. for your perticular needs.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
The sexy woman next to that plane just seems... incongruous. Yes, that's the word.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
I see congruity. Hot girl and hot plane!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:38 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Gents, I was "this" close to getting the reg CY, now I see this. Can't get em both at the moment, so gotta decide!

I'm 3D all the way (heli's & fixed)...so the question is which to get...Cwojcik, thx for the comparison.

The reality is, just ain't no good indoor places to around here fly that are accessible ...so outdoor flt is a must.. Now I know, and I've seen, that the reg CY handles a light breeze well.

But my mantra is "build light, fly light; fly low, fly slow"...so which one to order?? I mean I know the reg CY rocks, everybody does...but when I see CY "lite" I flip my proverbial wig!

Help me!!! CY or CYL????
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
crack yak...its still plenty light enough to fly indoors if need be but great for outdoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott View Post
I would agree!!! i would do the V1. for your perticular needs.
Having flown this thing for a while, I'm not sure the answer is so clear.

The Lite version with the power combo and digi servos is just plane sick! It is the ultimate in EPP performance. If you are a great 3D pilot and appreciate a very high level of performance and capability you will enjoy the Lite more. I really do not think you can match the Lite version for performance without going to a competition depron or even a milled competition depron.

However, If you crash a lot or really appreciate total plowability then the standard CY is going to be the one. Yes, the Lite is still very durable but thin EPP will tear easier and after time the tons and tons of glue will sap the added performance of the lighter plane. Whereas the standard CY flies great on 3S long after you have added an ounce of glue.

Wind is a smaller issue. You can fly both in wind. The standard CY might be a little better in the wind but in light winds and in the evening or night when a lot of us fly these things I think the Lite is just fine!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
First post updated with more build photos. More to come!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Jan 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Gents, I was "this" close to getting the reg CY, now I see this. Can't get em both at the moment, so gotta decide!

I'm 3D all the way (heli's & fixed)...so the question is which to get...Cwojcik, thx for the comparison.

The reality is, just ain't no good indoor places to around here fly that are accessible ...so outdoor flt is a must.. Now I know, and I've seen, that the reg CY handles a light breeze well.

But my mantra is "build light, fly light; fly low, fly slow"...so which one to order?? I mean I know the reg CY rocks, everybody does...but when I see CY "lite" I flip my proverbial wig!

Help me!!! CY or CYL????
I share your mantra 100%. Light is always right....As you describe your situation, I believe the standard Crack Yak will serve you well. With a careful build and a well chosen lite gear setup, the result will be a machine that can be flown low and slow, yet crisp when necessary. However, all that said, am looking fwd to seeing really how lite the new Crack Yak Lite can come in at. Whatever your choice, am sure you will not be disappointed....cheers....
Nimbus Dave is offline Find More Posts by Nimbus Dave
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:52 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,003 Posts
I'm thinking about getting one of these. Was originally thinking about getting the original crack yak, but with the description by Chris above, I think I might go with the crack yak lite. I would be flying it outdoors.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2006
749 Posts
[QUOTE=nkhamlue;23003424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Yep, the rest of the build pics are going up tomorrow. I was finishing up the build and flight testing this weekend.

You had mentioned earlier, one build with Welders and the second build with CA. Any details as yet on weight difference?
As reduced AUW is a pertinant criteria for this new machine, I also would be very interested in the weight difference of the two builds....thanks
Last edited by Nimbus Dave; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:08 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
The weight..

My finished RTF Crack Yak Lite with welders build was 6oz even with gear. The CA build was .2 ounces heavier RTF. A couple guys on the team who really worked hard to keep it light got them down to 5.8 and 5.9. I built mine the same way I think most people will without a lot of attention spent on going light.

I think that is a pretty significant difference. Add to that the thinner EPP and fast digi servos and it makes a big difference in flight performance.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
The weight..

My finished RTF Crack Yak Lite with welders build was 6oz even with gear. The CA build was .2 ounces heavier RTF. A couple guys on the team who really worked hard to keep it light got them down to 5.8 and 5.9. I built mine the same way I think most people will without a lot of attention spent on going light.

I think that is a pretty significant difference. Add to that the thinner EPP and fast digi servos and it makes a big difference in flight performance.
Thank you very much.....good information.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:49 PM
Build em lite......
Joined Apr 2012
168 Posts
[QUOTE=hercdriver7777;23011793]

Appreciate the information...thanks
nkhamlue is offline Find More Posts by nkhamlue
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
I got a few flights on mine and wow is it impressive. I will weigh it tomorrow and see where it is, but in the air it feels just like a good depron airplane. I didn't think it was possible but I like it more than the standard Crack Yak.

It's not too floaty at all...in fact it flies very similar to the normal Crack Yak but with a much more pure response. The airplane it reminds me most of is Donatas' Sultimate. You can pull or push as hard and fast as you want and it will make perfectly square corners without losing energy or rolling out. It will float along like a butterfly if you pull the throttle back or whip around at silly speeds if you open it up. The light 2S system provides insane power.

Cant wait to see you abuse / fly this one Cody
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Last edited by Kris...; Oct 16, 2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: cos i can !
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:14 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
What is the best prop size for this plane, 8" or 9"?
I'm using 9" and 1480 kv on my Sbach, like it a lot, but snap rolls are hard to do compared to the Edge with 8" prop I own previously. Maybe it's the plane and not the prop?
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:23 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
What is the best prop size for this plane, 8" or 9"?
I'm using 9" and 1480 kv on my Sbach, like it a lot, but snap rolls are hard to do compared to the Edge with 8" prop I own previously. Maybe it's the plane and not the prop?
With a motor in the 1450 - 1500 kv range, prop as follows:

2S = 9" prop
3S = 8" prop

Basically the lower kv rating lets you turn a bigger prop - more torque.

The new CY "Lite" uses a 1700kv motor so 8" is the correct size. I am flying a 1700kv motor on my Extra Slick and use an 8" on 2S. There is a distinct difference between the 8" 1700kv setup and the 9" lower kv setup. The 8" is what I would call the rpm or revver setup and the 9" the torque setup.

Hope this helped.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:46 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
450 Posts
Anyone fly the CY lite on 2S with the new 19g motor and the 24g motor?
Am interested in the comparison of the 2 motors.

I generally prefer the way these foamies fly with a 9" prop and 2S over the 8" propand 3S.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R