SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:27 PM
Registered User
3flyguy3's Avatar
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevs View Post
I got the Cheetah 7.4V 2S 450mAh 35C batteries today. So far they look good. They barely weigh any more than the Twisted Hobby 360mAH

TH 360mAh:
27.2 grams
27.3 grams

Cheetah 450mAh packs:
27.3 grams
27.9 grams
28.0 grams
28.4 grams

There is some variation in the weights, but I think they are advertising these fairly accurate at 28 grams. I measured them each several times and got within .1 gram on each reading.

I also calibrated my scale prior to reading these since I just got my calibration weights in the mail today also.

The Cheetah packs fit just a tad looser in my foam hole, but I think they are still tight enough to work without falling out. Since the weight is so close I should be able to use all 6 batteries and maintain nearly the same balance.
The cheetah packs may fit but what's the quality? I thought about picking up some.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:14 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
The cheetah packs may fit but what's the quality? I thought about picking up some.
They look as well made as anything. They are nice and flat. I cannot say on their performance yet. I just charged up all 4 packs and will need time to be able to fly them. I have to admit I never use my timers LOL. I just land when I feel some power loss. I will have to time them at some point and compare the TH 360's to the Cheetah 450.

I am aggravated by my CYL landing gear. The one side has broken 3 times now (just landing, not crashing). It just breaks wherever there is no splint already. Other than fitting against the center plate easier, I am not sure why the flat CF was chosen. The round CF on my Fenix was way tougher and no heavier. My friend crashes that thing several times a day and lands very rough constantly. The flat stuff also vibrates like crazy rolling across the asphalt. It might have made better since to orientate it where it is rolling against the long part of the cross section, but as is, it breaks too easy (at least one side of mine is). I am pretty sure I am going to redo the landing gear at this point with round CF. I may even switch to some larger diameter wheels while I am at it.

This hobby is too addictive. I am looking at building an FPV quadcopter now....
jevs is offline Find More Posts by jevs
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
Can't get enough
jabsten's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevs View Post
They look as well made as anything. They are nice and flat. I cannot say on their performance yet. I just charged up all 4 packs and will need time to be able to fly them. I have to admit I never use my timers LOL. I just land when I feel some power loss. I will have to time them at some point and compare the TH 360's to the Cheetah 450.

I am aggravated by my CYL landing gear. The one side has broken 3 times now (just landing, not crashing). It just breaks wherever there is no splint already. Other than fitting against the center plate easier, I am not sure why the flat CF was chosen. The round CF on my Fenix was way tougher and no heavier. My friend crashes that thing several times a day and lands very rough constantly. The flat stuff also vibrates like crazy rolling across the asphalt. It might have made better since to orientate it where it is rolling against the long part of the cross section, but as is, it breaks too easy (at least one side of mine is). I am pretty sure I am going to redo the landing gear at this point with round CF. I may even switch to some larger diameter wheels while I am at it.

This hobby is too addictive. I am looking at building an FPV quadcopter now....
My left side broke...it was the small CF rod holding the wheel. It wasn't from a crash. I landed and heard a snap. I had a spare parts bag, and was good to go in 5 min. I agree though, it isn't a very smooth landing set-up. It vibrates a lot.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:53 PM
ride hard and fly low
H.D.'s Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
I like to hover catch these planes.
No need for gear, but it does look cool.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:03 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
I like to hover catch these planes.
No need for gear, but it does look cool.
It is preference of course, but I disagree. I love landing gear on my planes Part of the fun for me is taking off, landing, touch and goes, etc. If I was doing combat or something I may not want it, but for my bashing I love my gear.
jevs is offline Find More Posts by jevs
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
ride hard and fly low
H.D.'s Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevs View Post
It is preference of course, but I disagree. I love landing gear on my planes Part of the fun for me is taking off, landing, touch and goes, etc. If I was doing combat or something I may not want it, but for my bashing I love my gear.
These planes were sold without landing gear for years.
I just don't think the landing gear was built with heavy use in mind.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:56 PM
Registered User
David Kyjovsky's Avatar
Prague Ruzyne, Czechoslovakia (former)
Joined Jan 2003
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevs View Post
They look as well made as anything. They are nice and flat. I cannot say on their performance yet. I just charged up all 4 packs and will need time to be able to fly them. I have to admit I never use my timers LOL. I just land when I feel some power loss. I will have to time them at some point and compare the TH 360's to the Cheetah 450.

I am aggravated by my CYL landing gear. The one side has broken 3 times now (just landing, not crashing). It just breaks wherever there is no splint already. Other than fitting against the center plate easier, I am not sure why the flat CF was chosen. The round CF on my Fenix was way tougher and no heavier. My friend crashes that thing several times a day and lands very rough constantly. The flat stuff also vibrates like crazy rolling across the asphalt. It might have made better since to orientate it where it is rolling against the long part of the cross section, but as is, it breaks too easy (at least one side of mine is). I am pretty sure I am going to redo the landing gear at this point with round CF. I may even switch to some larger diameter wheels while I am at it.

This hobby is too addictive. I am looking at building an FPV quadcopter now....
Jevs, where exactly did the LG break? It puzzles me, because I have been punishing it as hard as possible, for several months in a row. No damage at all. Can you snap a pic please?

Thx, David
David Kyjovsky is offline Find More Posts by David Kyjovsky
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:31 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kyjovsky View Post
Jevs, where exactly did the LG break? It puzzles me, because I have been punishing it as hard as possible, for several months in a row. No damage at all. Can you snap a pic please?

Thx, David
1st break was right by the fuselage where you would expect if it was going to break

2nd break was below the first

3rd break was between the two repairs

each repair is backed by a piece of round CF wrapped in thread and CA'd.

I flew today with no breaks with several landings.

I am prepared for the next break if I decide to redo all the landing gear. I picked up some 2mm round CF some 2" GWS wheels and some small fuel tube to make wheel stops. Since I have what I need it probably won't break again.
jevs is offline Find More Posts by jevs
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:18 AM
Extremely Twisted
cwojcik's Avatar
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevs View Post
1st break was right by the fuselage where you would expect if it was going to break

2nd break was below the first

3rd break was between the two repairs

each repair is backed by a piece of round CF wrapped in thread and CA'd.

I flew today with no breaks with several landings.

I am prepared for the next break if I decide to redo all the landing gear. I picked up some 2mm round CF some 2" GWS wheels and some small fuel tube to make wheel stops. Since I have what I need it probably won't break again.
That's bizarre as I have crashed mine hard a few times on the gear and broken nothing. I'll bet you got a scored or poorly pultruded piece of carbon stock...sorry! The 2mm rod will indeed make a bulletproof landing gear arrangement but it will add some weight.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:04 AM
Registered User
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
That's bizarre as I have crashed mine hard a few times on the gear and broken nothing. I'll bet you got a scored or poorly pultruded piece of carbon stock...sorry! The 2mm rod will indeed make a bulletproof landing gear arrangement but it will add some weight.
Yeah, it is a bit suspicious that it has all happend on that one and the other side is still perfect. I have had some thoughts that it could just be a problem with that piece of CF. All in all, it is pretty minor though. The great thing about these planes is how fast and easy it is to repair something if you do break it.
jevs is offline Find More Posts by jevs
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:35 AM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
I love the look of the landing gear, but since I fly inside I wouldn't put it on just to save weight and just hover catch. Keep me posted on the build H.D. and next time remember foam is recyclable so don't put it in the trash, be green my friend!


FWPMF

(Fly without points my friend)
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
3D Hack
JC Spohr's Avatar
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,908 Posts
Keep in mind that the LG only weighs 3.5 - 3.75 grams for the complete assembled pair.

The design is unique and incredibly crash resistant. I have stuffed mine quite a few times and even had my flight box tip over on the nose of the plane. No damage from improper landings and the flight box only caused the from leg to come loose at the fuselage pass-thru. I find no issues with the strength or durability of the LG.

However, nose-overs are far too common and the wheels vibrate while rolling.

Caveat - this is my plane and your mileage may vary.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:01 PM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Keep in mind that the LG only weighs 3.5 - 3.75 grams for the complete assembled pair.

The design is unique and incredibly crash resistant. I have stuffed mine quite a few times and even had my flight box tip over on the nose of the plane. No damage from improper landings and the flight box only caused the from leg to come loose at the fuselage pass-thru. I find no issues with the strength or durability of the LG.

However, nose-overs are far too common and the wheels vibrate while rolling.

Caveat - this is my plane and your mileage may vary.

JC
if the general concensus is that it weighs next to nothing and its very durable, then I may just put it on.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Stark's Avatar
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
....landing gear arrangement....
Hi Cody!

Will we see a more forward landing gear on all models like the one jevs has?
It's way too easy to tip the plane on the nose, even on a hard floor.

/Richard
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:24 PM
Extremely Twisted
cwojcik's Avatar
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,629 Posts
Richard, I believe that in the future we are transitioning to having the gear farther forward, yes.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Twisted Hobbys Crack Pitts 12 Build and Info Thread! cwojcik 3D Foamies 3262 Sep 14, 2014 10:18 PM
Cool Twisted Hobbys - 32" Crack Yak - Build Thread (Lots of new pics!) hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 6439 Sep 14, 2014 05:57 AM
Wanted Twisted Hobbys - 32" Crack Yak Wanted Moparbob Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 32 Jul 10, 2012 06:36 PM
Sold Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak isenbed Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Apr 16, 2012 10:43 PM