HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Question
DH 9116 Motors Upgrade

I'm planning an upgrade to both motors on my unit. The front motor looks to be straight forward using the xtreme pro 180A & my reason for doing so is the replacable brushes. I fly on average 3x daily & am going thru motors in like 2 wks. With the available carbon brush sets selling for $2.70 for two pair it seems a worthy upgrade.
I do have a question regarding the rear motor. I'm leaning towards a direct drive unit. From what I already know about the 9116's finicky tail motor I'd like to go with something more robust. The Direct Drive Tail Ready Pack (For Honey Bee FP / CP) looks like the trick but I have no idea weather it'll fit so, can anyone tell me if I can use this pack. Go Here : http://bit.ly/UWtmde and take a look at this kit. If this works out it should really improve flight characteristics. Thanks
ironhorse99 is offline Find More Posts by ironhorse99
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:29 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. I just received two Xtreme Pro 180 motors in the mail today. Now I'm looking for a tail motor and a good Lipo.

I saw someone else went with a F45 tail motor. I was also looking at a 950 mah 25c lipo. Too big?

Sorry Ironhorse, don't mean to jack the thread, just figured these three upgrades go together.

By the way, where in Jersey are you? I'm in Woodbridge.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Last edited by Budasac; Oct 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,416 Posts
The Extreme 180 is a "hot rewind". It likes high rpms and low resistance. The high weight of the 9116 and shape of the blades may cause it to draw too many amps for the rather weak PCB. I would certainly be experimenting with trimming blades.

That direct drive unit is meant for 3 cells. It won't generate enough power on 2 cells and the PCB won't handle more. The 9116 is a pretty poor candidate for any upgrades.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The Extreme 180 is a "hot rewind". It likes high rpms and low resistance. The high weight of the 9116 and shape of the blades may cause it to draw too many amps for the rather weak PCB. I would certainly be experimenting with trimming blades.

That direct drive unit is meant for 3 cells. It won't generate enough power on 2 cells and the PCB won't handle more. The 9116 is a pretty poor candidate for any upgrades.
I've read that quote from your posts before (The 9116 is a pretty poor candidate for any upgrades.) and yet I read from others & have seen many video's of this very same "poor candidate" run quite well. As for the rear tail motor there may be another choice in the walkera N60 upgrade kit. Others on this site seem to have had success with that mod. Thanks for the heads up on the honey bee motor.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:33 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse99 View Post
I've read that quote from your posts before (The 9116 is a pretty poor candidate for any upgrades.) and yet I read from others & have seen many video's of this very same "poor candidate" run quite well. As for the rear tail motor there may be another choice in the walkera N60 upgrade kit. Others on this site seem to have had success with that mod. Thanks for the heads up on the honey bee motor.
As you wish. It's your time and money.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:33 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
I'm interested in this as well. I just received two Xtreme Pro 180 motors in the mail today. Now I'm looking for a tail motor and a good Lipo.

I saw someone else went with a F45 tail motor. I was also looking at a 950 mah 25c lipo. Too big?

Sorry Ironhorse, don't mean to jack the thread, just figured these three upgrades go together.

By the way, where in Jersey are you? I'm in Woodbridge.
I'm further south near woodbury, about 10minutes from philly. I bought for $8.00 & no ship cost a 1300 mah gravity 30c battery. its twice the weight of the stock battery. I modded my battery compartment and it fits just fine. I thought the weight would be a problem but I have no problems. I'm shocked how fast this "toy mini"(i know some call it a micro....guess the v911 is a pico)is. I'm a relative newbee so I fly without too much fancywork other than mild banks. The battery has a fairly good review & I get 10 minutes+ flight time. Just be advised that flying 3x daily you'll burn thru 2 motors a month which is why I'm going with the 180A. At least I can change out brushes for like $1.25 a pop. I'm going to order several more batteries if I can get them for that price. I'm having lots of fun flying this heli. I think its an excellent starter for outdoor flying at a low cost.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:49 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
As you wish. It's your time and money.
Yes it is. Its very enjoyable and at the end of the day, that's what its all about!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
I've read elsewhere that the Esky honey bee cp3/cpx tail blade set ek-002386 & tail motor ek-002445 is what can be used with slight mod in place of stock tail motor setup. Can anyone verify this. It looks to be a very cost effective upgrade.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
I've read elsewhere that the Esky honey bee cp3/cpx tail blade set ek-002386 & tail motor ek-002445 is what can be used with slight mod in place of stock tail motor setup. Can anyone verify this. It looks to be a very cost effective upgrade.
Looks like this will be whats needed for the upgrade. Walkera alternates are available as well. Seems to be exact same parts so its nice to have several places to go. Below are the links to this topic on this site. Have fun.

http://bit.ly/Tr85XL

http://bit.ly/Tr8Y2v

http://bit.ly/Tr97Tu
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:21 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Have you installed the 180 pro motor yet? I have around 6 flights on mine now and the stock tail is having no problem holding it (new motor, we'll see how long it lasts. If it burns out I have 1 more stock tail to hold me over so I can get an upgrade.) I'm using the stock batteries though. I'm gonna order a 1000mah lipo tonight and see how it handles that.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Last edited by Budasac; Oct 17, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Have you installed the 180 pro motor yet? I have around 6 flights on mine now and the stock tail is having no problem holding it (new motor, we'll see how long it lasts. If it burns out I have 1 more stock tail to hold me over so I can get an upgrade.) I'm using the stock batteries though. I'm gonna order a 100mah lipo tonight and see how it handles that.
My motor/brushes are coming from Hong Kong so I'm looking at a couple of more weeks however the rear tail set should be here tomorrow. I've been getting 2 weeks out of a stock motor but the last one only lasted 4 days. I'm on my last stock main motor. I wish I knew how to get them apart as I could salvage the good brushes and make use of them. BTW, the brush sets for the 180-a come in two flavors, silver & carbon. I opted for the carbon as they are suppose to last 30% longer. I ordered 4 sets( 2 pair come in one set) so I'm good for about 4+ months. I just ordered 2 more 1300mah battery's @ $8 each.I get 12+ minutes flight time. I'm having so much fun flying this Heli. I'll keep you posted as things progress.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:26 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Just installed the tail assembly with the N60 motor and though I only hovered & short flighted it I was very Impressed. I took out all rudder sub trims & it lifts off very nicely & without rotation. Once I get it up in the air I think I may be able to reduce the EPA to 70% with no Ill effects. It should run cooler as well however with only hovering it gets VERY HOT!! I wanted to slip the old plastic cage over the end to protect the wire connections & the cap but was afraid the wire casing might melt. I may pick up a heat sink for it.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
9116 upgrades

Hey Pilots!
All the above concerns about upgrading the 9116 from double horse are, or should I say were valid. These obstacles have been overcome. I am a professional RC tech and I love the 9116 for a fun no stress day of flying. I have developed a full upgrade package for the 9116. It consists of the 180 pro ball bearing motor with replaceable brushes so it will never wear out, an upgraded tail motor with pro heat sink with so much power you absolutely cannot get any wag in your tail even if you go from still to full throttle super fast, no problem. And to power this whole set up and make her purr like a kitten, a 850mAh 20C 7.4v lipo. I have the whole setup for $45. Hit up my website and check us out!

http://www.rchelicopterrepairservice.com/Upgrades.html
skullywack is offline Find More Posts by skullywack
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:30 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullywack View Post
Hey Pilots!
All the above concerns about upgrading the 9116 from double horse are, or should I say were valid. These obstacles have been overcome. I am a professional RC tech and I love the 9116 for a fun no stress day of flying. I have developed a full upgrade package for the 9116. It consists of the 180 pro ball bearing motor with replaceable brushes so it will never wear out, an upgraded tail motor with pro heat sink with so much power you absolutely cannot get any wag in your tail even if you go from still to full throttle super fast, no problem. And to power this whole set up and make her purr like a kitten, a 850mAh 20C 7.4v lipo. I have the whole setup for $45. Hit up my website and check us out!

http://www.rchelicopterrepairservice.com/Upgrades.html
Why are you spamming multiple 9116 threads with a 3times overpriced - "nobody needs it" - product searching for fools with more money than brain.
Please stop spamming like directsource4U - Offer it in the right category ONCE and wait.
regards
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:09 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
My motor/brushes are coming from Hong Kong so I'm looking at a couple of more weeks however the rear tail set should be here tomorrow. I just ordered 2 more 1300mah battery's @ $8 each.I get 12+ minutes flight time. I'm having so much fun flying this Heli. I'll keep you posted as things progress.
Motor came in earlier in the week & have several flights & for some reason this 180-a doesn't seem to have the punch of the original. The other thing I've noticed is it seems to loose altitude way sooner. I have a buzzer/battery monitor & have it set @ 2.70VOOPS- I MEANT TO SAY 3.70V and I'm loosing power way before the buzzer goes off. Should I replace the pinion gear with an 6T.
Last edited by ironhorse99; Nov 16, 2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: correction