SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Discussion
Cleveland's Edgewater Park

Just came back from what I'm pretty sure is my best flight ever with my Chrysalis, not that there have been a whole lot... maybe thirty or so.

This spring I took it to Lump Overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and had a blast, but the lift was always a good distance away in spite of the excellent site. Late this afternoon, though, I took the plane to Edgewater Park with Hopkins reporting 030 at 14 knots or so...

Man, what fun! I was able to keep the plane right in front of me and soar almost until sunset... of the twenty minutes or so I was able to tolerate the cold breeze (hey, I'm from North Carolina), I ran the motor about thirty or forty seconds. The setting sun to my left made the plane really pop, too. What a great time....

The few passersby thought that the plane was cool, but I was the only one out there on what were almost perfect conditions. Does nobody soar there anymore? Did I just happen to dodge the authorities, or is there just not that much interest here?

Anyway, I hope that there's no local rule I broke, because when the weather's warmer and my FIL has his Chrysalis finished, I sure would like to come back and spend more time here.
EightOhMike is offline Find More Posts by EightOhMike
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:21 PM
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
625 Posts
Yes and yes! We do fly there when conditions are right. There is a pretty strong group of about 10-15 pilots who fly when the conditions are good. It does get a bit chilly around this time of year and we wait for mostly SW winds and fly at CityVIew mall in Valley View/Garfield Hgts.

And yes, you lucked out because the rangers in the state park frown upon powered aircraft. Gliders no problem just be careful with the power; hate to see us all get banned from the park. It is a great venue and we have been flying there since the early 70's.

Look up SlopeSlayer .com for some contact info!

Jim
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Thanks, Jim--

Yep, it was almost completely silent flight... just enough motoring to get out into the lift. I'd hate to do anything to cost you guys a site. Man, it was a blast....

I'll check out the site and see if it has info on Cityview mall... winds are south tomorrow and I'd love to get in another flight (or a few) before heading back to NC.

Edit- Didn't see anything on the site about how to get there. Any gps coordinates or quick and dirty directions, please? Might get to see some of you guys out there tomorrow!
Last edited by EightOhMike; Oct 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
JimN8UAY
Joined Oct 2004
625 Posts
Sorry, Mike...near I-77 and Transportation Blvd...behind the Giant Eagle store facing into the valley. We had 5 guys early, I had to leave for work, and a couple more showing up throughout the day. Great conditions. Hope you can make it or next time when you're in town. I'll try to post coordinates some time soon.

Jim
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:47 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
I went to Edgewater Park a few years ago when I was just getting into soaring. It was January and there was a bitterly cold north wind blowing off of the lake. But there were about seven or eight guys there and it was fun to watch. But it got so cold that day that a plane froze solid in mid air! It took a 30 foot ladder and an ice pick to get the plane out of the air!!!

Hi Jim!! PP
planepainter is online now Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:43 AM
west suburb of cleveland oh
Joined Nov 2004
197 Posts
Mike
where in north caraloina do you live?we have a buddy that is in tennesse has several moutian site he flys at maybe we can get you hooked up with him. we went to vis him couple of week ends ago and flew 2 sites Lake city and roan moutian. check out our club site for some pics of the city view site in the back ground of the flying dragon
don
dvk44039 is online now Find More Posts by dvk44039
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:34 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planepainter View Post
I went to Edgewater Park a few years ago when I was just getting into soaring. It was January and there was a bitterly cold north wind blowing off of the lake. But there were about seven or eight guys there and it was fun to watch. But it got so cold that day that a plane froze solid in mid air! It took a 30 foot ladder and an ice pick to get the plane out of the air!!!

Hi Jim!! PP
Hi PP,

The phenomenon you witnessed is a rare sight to see, you should consider yourself lucky. It takes a very specific set of conditions for it to occur and the areas around the great lakes are prime for it. Basically what happens is very cold, dry arctic air picks up excess moisture while it is passing over the unfrozen portions of the lake. Most people don't know that some of the larger great lakes don't completely freeze in the winter and have open water in the middle of them. The cold air passing over this open water becomes almost supersaturated with moisture.

Normally this is not an issue as the moisture can dissipate into the surrounding air, but if this super moisture laden air reaches shore before it can dissipate odd things can happen. Heavy whore frost is probably the most common thing that is seen. If this super moist, wind driven air should hit a slope then it gets even more compressed as it hits the slope and it doesn't take too much to get the moisture to come out of the air. Think of a grain of dirt seeding a rain cloud, well that plane did the same thing. The plane hit the compressed supersaturated air and triggered the moisture to come out of air in the form of ice crystals. These ice crystals form almost instantly and build up so quickly it appears as though the plane freezes in midair. We occasionally have the same thing happen here in Minnesota on slopes around Lake Superior. It is really sad when birds get trapped by it, but usually by that time of year most of them have moved inland away from the shorelines.

If my memory serves me correctly I believe the phenomenon is referred to as bsification. That might be Latin for something, i'm not sure.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Oct 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:43 PM
JimN8UAY
Joined Oct 2004
625 Posts
Excellent post, Wayne. That's exactly what I tell people here when they see us flying in all kinds of weather! Bsification!

Don (PP), nice to hear from you! I understand your life is a bit more complex these days and probably why we haven't seen your avatar up as much! I can relate, being in a new relationship myself for the past couple years. Hard to find time for play things and toys!

You should check out our friend Kaan in Tennessee for some awesome slope flying. You could fly the big Oly in some great "Alpine " lift!

Jim
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Hi Guys--

I live in Greensboro, which is so far a difficult place to find any slope lift, though I'm always open to suggestions....

I found the place at Cityview, and flew for a while, but the winds were from 130 or so, almost parallel to the face, so I gave it up after a short while. I'm in New Orleans right now, but hope to be back in Cleveland on Wednesday, and with the winds forecast to be more southerly, I hope to give it another shot.

By the way, the coordinates from Google maps are as follows, for the south corner of the parking lot overlooking the ridge: 41.408281, -81.619232

Edit: Maybe that's the reason that the Lat/Long thing is still in beta (I think)... when you plug those coordinates into Google Maps, it drops you away from where I originally put the marker. This one seems to work better: 41.40362, -81.61201

South winds won't be ideal, but better than I had the other day, and since I don't get up here often with a plane to fly, I'll probably give it a go anyway...
Last edited by EightOhMike; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: A quest for accuracy....
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Nov 2004
197 Posts
eightomike hit me with your email and i will have or slope weather wizard add you to our slope email alert system and give you my number i am retired now and can go pretty muchany time.
dvk44039@windstream.net also hook you up with Kaan the live in tennesse
don
dvk44039 is online now Find More Posts by dvk44039
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Nov 2004
197 Posts
here is address for the giant eagle at the city view strip mall

View Normal HoursHoliday Hours

Sunday

24 Hours

Monday