HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:31 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Discussion
Is it Safe to Charge Lipos with 2C?

After I fly and I know I wont be flying for a few days I try to put all my lipos in storage mode. I keep reading you can extend the life of batteries if you put them in storage mode if you aren't going to use them for a few days or longer.

That's all fine and dandy but... There are times when I want to go flying and my batteries are in storage mode and it would take a little too long to charge them using 1C on my charger. My question is: Is it safe to charge most 3 cell (and 2 cell) batteries beyond 1C and up to 2C?

The battery I use the most is a 3 cell 2200mah lipo. I usually charge that at 2.2 amps. Would it be OK to charge it at 4.4? I also have a little 3 cell 800mah battery that I want to charge at 2C. Would it shorted the life if I did charge it at 2C?

Most of my batteries have come from Value Hobby. I know many batteries say they can be charged at a higher rate, but is it really safe?

Thanks
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,960 Posts
I wouldn't try unless it's printed on the battery that it can do it.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Generally depends on the cells IR. So if you are using 20c+ packs generally you are safe doing that. The lower the IR the faster you can go.

It likely does decrease their life a bit, maybe.

That said - I like 1c charging in parallel, doing more than one pack at a time.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
What I did instead was get a charger that charges 4 batteries at once. That way I can head to the field with 4 charged batteries in the time it takes to charge 1.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:25 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
All you need is a parallel charging board. Then any charger can charge multiple packs at once.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:04 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
All you need is a parallel charging board. Then any charger can charge multiple packs at once.
you got that right...best $$ i've spent lately
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:02 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Could you charge multiple batteries from one output from the charger? In other words, say, 2 or 3 batteries off a parallel line from a single output at 1c? I ask because I have a 2 and 3 way parallel plug to run multiple batteries in my plane...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
Could you charge multiple batteries from one output from the charger? In other words, say, 2 or 3 batteries off a parallel line from a single output at 1c? I ask because I have a 2 and 3 way parallel plug to run multiple batteries in my plane...

Absolutely. As long as all the packs have the same voltage (capacity does not matter) and are discharged to near the same level.

Works great!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
They are. I run them in parallel in my plane, and their voltage(s) are nearly identical. Sweet! Cut my chargin' time in half!
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue