HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gnats82, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:53 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,654 Posts
Discussion
FMS1700mm aircraft propeller failure

..... to: Aros

"

O.K. It's in the hands of FMS now and I wish them the best to process this to the best conclusion.

This is a 'golden opportunity' to get such issues resolved for the ongoing benefit of everyone including future users, new folks to the hobby, and to the industry. This event has brought this aspect of the hobby into intense focus and I want to add what I can so that the treatment is as thorough and accurate as possible.

I can't recall an incident where one of these devices, internal combustion or electric, where the blades from the propeller were flung from the unit to become projectiles and capable of danger to those nearby like this has been.

Whether contact was there against the cowl or not, these units meed to be constructed with the objective that if such contact were to occur, a breakup like this would absolutely not be the result. Blade strikes on the outer parts are another thing - grinding forces against the hub like you're suggesting should not do this. My concern was also piqued when there began some comments of construction issues with the 1400mm range of planes. In short, if there's a pattern here with FMS, or any other maker for that matter, I wish it to be 'nipped in the bud' as one might say. It's the most opportune moment.

I don't feel like I'm overreacting. I hope I'm not. "

This was my response to the affair with the 1700mm FMS propeller breakup. I truly hope they get it worked out 10/12/12

Jack
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:08 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,654 Posts
It's baacckk...! 2/14/13

The FMS propeller assembly is again a serious topic on the 1700mm Corsair thread due to the failure of one set of "improved" parts and I've felt encouraged to insert some views.

While some are wont to let this slide a bit, I'm taking the tack that the manufacturer needs to thoroughly review their operation regarding these and make improvements.

The big electric airplanes put out a lot of power and it's deceiving with the comparative non-violent application of force to that of an internal combustion engine which gives off sound and fury. The results are the same though and the propeller can't be taken for granted.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Feb 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: insert "electric"