HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,189 Posts
Discussion
OSM OneSheetMulligan -OneSheeter #11

There is a bit of history to this build. I did the templates months ago in a fit of creative Onesheet passion, even got them laser cut, but didn't get around to doing the prototype build. About a month ago, as I was cleaning up the plane room I moved the laser cut sheets and got the bug to see if the pieces all fit together into the correct plane

Well, they almost did.... Once into it, I discovered several mismatches, and realized I would need a few more parts, etc. However the correct plane eventually came out of it all. I'm still trying to cram the extra parts into the single sheet, but am close enough and the plane is done enough to test fly so I'll go ahead and post.

So here she is, the Howard DGA6, Mr. Mulligan

30" span
24" OAL
targeting 9oz AUW

24gm 1700kv Blu Wonder motor with 7x6sf prop
HK SS 8-10amp esc
2s 850 battery
3 Hxt 500 5 gm servos

Work to be done is finishing the landing gear and wheel pants, the motor cowling and windows and trim.

She's all Readi-board, with paper removed, but as an experiment, having found some white package tape, I've covered her completely with the white tape, Nice shiny surface!

Here's the second flight vid:
OSM Mr. Mulligan - OneSheeter#11 (2 min 16 sec)
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:08 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,189 Posts
build log

Here's the beginning of the build: First the templates: these are for the 30"span version that requires about 1 1/4 sheets of DS foam. There is a single sheet plan, a tiled plan, a jpeg showing the parts numbered, and a text file explaining the numbered part locations. Still a puzzle, 30 unique pieces some of which became more complicated as I tried to fit them into a single sheet. I have a single sheet version, but the span is only 27". An expanded version takes the span to just under 36" for MPF 2x4 sheets.

One of the challenges of this plane is the round bottom fuselage. The Readi-board took the curve well even at the very aft end where I almost got a perfect 180 deg bend = had a small split that GG cured. I tried some tab and slots that really helped with alignment.

2-21-14 Update: finally remembered to upload the MPF size templates that I eventually got to correct file size pdf! Remember, if you guys find it too tedious to trace and cut the parts out, I do have laser cut foam only kits for this and the other onesheeters.....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Feb 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added MPF size templates
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,189 Posts
Wing buildup:

I typically make a KFM5a wing for the onesheeters as I like the floaty aspects of it. But this plane had a pretty flat wing, so I tried a KFM1, that has a well smoothed Leading Edge to give it a conventional wing look. It really simplified the wing saddle conditions.

In the pictures you can see the LE spar, which is a 3/16x1/4" piece of a wolmanized pine board that I cut a rabet into - this was the scrap!

I decided to mount the wing with a tab into a receiver at the top of cockpit windshield. The tab is a wide tongue depressor gg'ed to the spar and wing underside. I used a popsicle stick for the receiver piece which also serves to stabilize, straighten and strengthen the windshield top edge. We'll see if this proves to be a good idea once I doink it a couple times.

the last picture shows the underwing mounted aileron servo mounting. I made a 3 layer block of Readiboard for the mount, and added the popsicle stick strips for strength and screw mount. The wires are .025" music wire running in coffee stirrer guide tubes that I heat set around a cylinder (one of my weights). Ailerons are hinged with package tape, and use credit card horns. Seems to work well. I was concerned about adverse yaw with this set up as there is no differential in the throws. However, in the air the yaw isn't obvious and a bit of rudder kicks the tail around nicely. I found I needed high rates on ailerons to get authority, but low rates on ELE and RUD.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:34 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,189 Posts
Here's how the tail empennage comes together:

Elevator pieces are glued to a skewer, then tape hinged to the one piece H stab, which is glued into slot of fuse. V stab and rudder hinged with tape, glued to fuse

There is a fuse extension that forms the lower portion of the V stab and continues the thickness of the Rudder lower. The "tail wheel" is a tongue depressor cut about 2" long and laminated into the "pant" . When glued into the fuse, the tongue depressor extends into the fuse cavity. Made for a strengthened tail.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Oct 12, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:34 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,189 Posts
Windshield and fwd fuse details here. I massaged windshield and fitted it to the fuse. found I had to recut the top edge to fit the wing location and add wedges at rear of Windshield (since added to the templates). You can also see the tongue depressor top of windshield stabilizer. I eventually added a bit more balsa (! heresy!) to improve the fit to the wing LE.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Oct 12, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:36 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,189 Posts
Cowling: I'm going to try a couple of ways, heat shrunk bottles and built up foam. Turned the wood form today and did a couple cowls. I can use both top and bottom of a 2ltr pop bottle with the form, although the best looking one was from the top (shown in these pictures). The foam inside will set the location and provide a base for the radial. Haven't decided whether to just paint it with sharpie or try to actually carve one. (probably paint...) I like the plastic cowls as when I doink the plane the prop just skids on the cowl rather than cutting into it.

However, another method would be to built up one from foam. the second pix shows that with three strips of DS foam; a 2" wide, 1.25" wide and .5" wide strip. I'll sand them down to approximate what I got with the plastic. Next will be figuring out how to put the 18 teardrop shapes on for valve cover simulation. Gonna be tedious no doubt. I'm going to try and put them on the mold and shrink them in, but not sure if that will work. we'll see.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:26 AM
Tualatin, OR
Joined Oct 2009
273 Posts
Nicely done, Mike. Looks like another great flying one sheeter.
gjalbert is offline Find More Posts by gjalbert
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:37 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
603 Posts
Waiting for the plans...this is a must build for me

rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:45 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,985 Posts
CUTE Plane !!! Always one of my Favorites ... SUPER job Springer .. !!!!!!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,189 Posts
Thanks guys!

I think I got the patterns down to one sheet with the additions i "discovered", but it cut the wingspan to 27.5" I think I like the 30" span better, have to ponder that. I'll probably post both versions in case anyone really wants to get it out of a single sheet. Gotta make the crib sheet first though as it's a real puzzle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:34 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,985 Posts
Really no reason to restrict a Great design to just One sheet ...

Just my $00.02 We found the 36” + wingspans to be the more favorable , because at that size you are not so affected by “scale effect” ... the old big bird , small bird thing .... just saying ...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,189 Posts
Yeah, that's part of my reluctance. I'll have to look at an MPF size too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
603 Posts
HHmmmmmmm....MPF....what span would you be thinking there ( I've got plenty of FFF from a nice smooth bundle I lucked into earlier in the year...very little distortion on the usual wavy side)
Now I'm really interested.

rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:07 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,045 Posts
Looks great up in that pretty SEMI sky. The Golden Age relived. Fantastic!
You could print a Wasp if you wanted...
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers