Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Question
ESC Low Voltage Cutoff

Very new to all this and finding things confusing.
If a ESC specs state that it can be connected to 4 to 10 cells (NiMH) does this mean that the ESC auto detects the battery that is connected to it and sets the low voltage cutoff accordingly?
I have a cheap ESC thet was connected to an 8 cell pack but i have tried using it with a 6 cell pack on my new Easy Star and it is cutting this off fully charged.

Thanks
Butchers is offline Find More Posts by Butchers
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
Georgia
Joined Jan 2009
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchers View Post
Very new to all this and finding things confusing.
If a ESC specs state that it can be connected to 4 to 10 cells (NiMH) does this mean that the ESC auto detects the battery that is connected to it and sets the low voltage cutoff accordingly?
I have a cheap ESC thet was connected to an 8 cell pack but i have tried using it with a 6 cell pack on my new Easy Star and it is cutting this off fully charged.

Thanks
You probably have to program the ESC. What ESC do you have?
Mike81 is offline Find More Posts by Mike81
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
I dont know what make it is I got it with a cheap RTF plane which I have since destroyed learning to fly it. I was hoping to re-use it.
It has black plastic shrink wrap with the text "VW-1 H [16] E2".
I am wondering if it is a plug and play one rated at 9.6V therefore cutting the voltage of a 7.2V pack.

Thanks again
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,049 Posts
It's made for NiMH batteries, 9.6 volts. I wouldn't use for any LiPo battery of any size. ESCs are cheap. Just buy one suitable for your use. This isn't worth the chance. Even if it is programmable, you can't do it.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:52 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,604 Posts
Why don't you just get an 8 cell pack?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
The motors a permax 400 rated 6V 8 cells would destroy it, or that is what I have been led to believe? I am not so worried about buying another motor as they are so cheap its having to take the Easy Star apart to get the motor out.
I am buying a Turnigy speed controller from Hobbyking that specyfies 4 - 10 cells.