HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
Discussion
Rules for UAV / RPAS operation

Hi I am trying to get information for everyones benefit on the rules for flying UAV's or any RC aircraft used for commercial purposes each country.

I think there is a clear misunderstanding of what is allowed an not. It usually comes down to if money or benefit is involved in use of the RPAS, ie are you charging for anything, if it be photography or research. It most cases I know the rules are very different at that point. For example you can no longer use the HAM bands for video transmission and all transmitters need to be certified, this is just one of many rules that need to be followed. Specific flight testing from the manufacturers need to be documented and submitted to the authorities. This can include electrical systems as well as flight characteristics.

I know ICAO is working on this any currant information would be helpful

I think there could be an overwhelming lot of information posted here, so i would like to suggest a format.

First a bullet point quick reference. Followed by a link to the appropriate document.

For example

CANADA RULES:

Canada does allow RPAS operation rules are ongoing but presently they require an Special Operations Flight Certificate (SOFC) for any commercial work, (and any insurance I know off also require an SOFC)

Key points:

Insurance mandatory

20 day lead time for each flight

Accurate description of aircraft and control and transmission systems, flight test information from manufacturer.

Accurate flight plan for operation

Emergency procedures in case of problems

Communication systems and ability to alert Air Traffic Control. (radio ops licence required )

Pilots with aviation training prefered.

here is the information on what is required to submit an SOFC

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...23-001-972.htm
flyingbiscuit1 is online now Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:05 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,291 Posts
Thanks FB.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
Edmonton
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
The SFOC is not only required for commercial work but for all flight using RPAS/UAV using an autopilot so even if you want to test your AP on a MACC field you need a SFOC.

You don't need to specify a detailed flight plan, just a detailed description of the area(s) where you want to operate.

for the PIC, just take the ground school, you learn how to read an aeronautical map, make a flight plan, contact the ATC, ....

Don't forget the risk assessment parts in your SFOC , it's different than the emergency procedures and safety plan and by the way you should also describe the standard ops.

Writing a SFOC take time, don't expect to do this on few hours if it's the first time you doing one.

the 20 days delay is a joke, it depend on the number of applications at a given time and since they use a FIFO procedure don't expect in summer time a short delay, it could be 2 months (there is few TC inspectors - yes they take some holiday - and usually there is a lot of submissions). If you can try, submit 6 months before

And don't forget to make a NOTAm before the flight well at least 2 days before but 7 days is better. Contact your regional FIC to do that.

And FYI , there is a lot of change coming in the next year(s) see the link below
http://www.unmannedsystems.ca/content.php?doc=193
Strathcona is offline Find More Posts by Strathcona
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:41 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jul 2012
22 Posts
Rules for UAV / RPAS operation

Edit
AVMEDIA is offline Find More Posts by AVMEDIA
Last edited by AVMEDIA; Feb 08, 2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
Edmonton
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
Yes TC inspectors are very friendly. Make contact with them before applying for an SFOC, they can give you advice and answer to any questions you can have (you also can do the same with IC inspectors for the technical part of the submission to verify if your electronics is certified or not or complying with the IC regulations - mostly for the wireless video parts)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strathcona View Post
Yes TC inspectors are very friendly. Make contact with them before applying for an SFOC, they can give you advice and answer to any questions you can have (you also can do the same with IC inspectors for the technical part of the submission to verify if your electronics is certified or not or complying with the IC regulations - mostly for the wireless video parts)
Funny because the one I was talking to was less than friendly,and not helpful, sent me a stock email that didn't really explain anything. Sounds like different and inconsistent responses through the Country.
Why isn't there a template set out for filling these i?n. It's such a waste of everyone's time not to have a set example of an SOFC application that TC want you to copy. It would streamline the process for all.

I also the issue from autopilots seem different from autonomous, my reading of the information seems they have a more of a problem wiht autonomous than any autopilot (for example RTH on the WKM, would be an autopilot, not autonomous flying)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
First Person View Association of Australia (FPVAA)

Hi Gang

A group of us in Australia are looking at getting together and forming an organisation to represent FPV flyers. Currently CASA and private operators are determining the future for us while we sit back and hope for the best. We would prefer a more proactive approach where we are represented at these discussions. I encourage any Australian FPV flyers to check out the following and lend a voice.

First Person View Association of Australia (FPVAA)

Cheers

Jason
WhiteNite1971 is offline Find More Posts by WhiteNite1971
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:14 AM
Edmonton
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1 View Post
Funny because the one I was talking to was less than friendly,and not helpful, sent me a stock email that didn't really explain anything. Sounds like different and inconsistent responses through the Country.
Why isn't there a template set out for filling these i?n. It's such a waste of everyone's time not to have a set example of an SOFC application that TC want you to copy. It would streamline the process for all.

I also the issue from autopilots seem different from autonomous, my reading of the information seems they have a more of a problem wiht autonomous than any autopilot (for example RTH on the WKM, would be an autopilot, not autonomous flying)
Well so far I the two TC Inspectors I deal with are very friendly and helpful

Well if there is no template is only because each SFOC is different, and my SOP, Risk assessment or emergency procedure will be different than ours. They want you to think about what you are going to do not just copy and paste other people stuff.

I put an sample of SFOC on DIYdrones.com in the canada group, just check. It's not my work, it's not so good work for me but it's an example.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
I don't think a template is copy and paste, I am thinking of an application with directed questions, it's not difficult to build one, It would help the inspectors tremendously.As well as making it clear to applicants. This free for all approach is not the way to go.
I don't think the process has a clear understanding of the technologies now available and the benefits they have. For example return to home being an obvious one. GPS position hold being another.
They need to understand when such technology is available in low cost small UAV that users will try them out regardless, it's better to work with the users in coming up with a safe application of the technology, which I think they are trying to do.
For example in an emergency situation, such as loss of LOS, wouldn't it be a good thing to let the helicopter fly back to the takeoff point?... I am not such in the present situation they allow this automatic flying.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:17 PM
Edmonton
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
The questions you have to answer are in the PDF for the inspectors :
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/.../623-001_1.pdf

For your question about the loss of LOS, it depend on the AP performance, the failsafe you have installed with the AP, .... For some of my UAV it's a FT, for some it's a RTH or to a specfic waypoint and the TC inspectors have so far always approved my SFOC.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:15 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,252 Posts
Just curious who the other Canadians are using for their liability insurance. I'm just going through the process now plus compiling a list of providers o be interested to hear of any contacts you may have.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor