Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
370 Posts
Foam-Tac construction tips

Hello everyone, Over the years I have tried and used many different glues on depron, but most did not work very well . Then about a year ago Greg at WMPF toll me about Foam-tac WOW! This glue is fantastic! I hardly use any other glue anymore. Foam-Tac is what I used to design and build the Mako shark, and recomend it in the Mako construction guide. I like to use Foam-Tac and shrink wrap to glue the wire z bends to the carbon control rods (very light and strong). I used to use a lighter to heat the shrink wrap, but Foam-Tac is flammable. I now recommend a heat gun or hair dryer. What makes Foam-Tac so great for this? It can be softened up by reheating the glue so the wire can be moved, even months after it first dried. I can also salvage wire and carbon rods form old planes, just by reheating the glue. Thanks Beacon!
aircontrol is offline Find More Posts by aircontrol
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontrol View Post
What makes Foam-Tac so great for this? It can be softened up by reheating the glue so the wire can be moved, even months after it first dried. I can also salvage wire and carbon rods form old planes, just by reheating the glue. Thanks Beacon!
Oh, this is a great tip ! I usually use thin CA for that and it can't be repositioned once glued.

I also found that Foam -Tac works great repairing broken plastic cowls. Just spread a bread on the broken edge, touch the pieces together couple of times and then connect and leave them alone for a few minutes. Done.

Sergey.
SergeyK is offline Find More Posts by SergeyK
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:48 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Giorgiantonio View Post
Hi Joe, I appreciate what you are saying and I did not want this thread to be about what you do for a living or the construction business or anything other than Foam-Tac, what you don't know is what has been happening in the past where certain retailers have been dumping Foam-Tac as a lost leader, meaning at or below cost, this hurts retailers with real business overhead to cover as opposed to mail order sellers that don't have the overhead. These sellers diminish the value of any products they sell and are only out for a "quick buck" They offer little or no customer service and more often than not if you have a problem there is no recourse for the consumer. The real average street price of the previous version of Foam-Tac was $7.99 don't take my word for it you can look it up for yourself. I guess it would be like some one using substandard labor to cut cost making it difficult for you to compete in your field. We at Beacon are investing in our products and backing them up with advertising, customer service and our commitment to our vendors to supply the best product for the best possible price. We will also no longer sell to those that chose to "price dump" our products. When you consider that the equivalent amount of Foam safe CA plus the needed Kicker will actually cost almost twice as much and does not do all that Foam-Tac does, you will see that Foam-Tac is still a great value. Just think with Foam-Tac you can assemble your plane, hinge the control surfaces, glue your motor mount, landing gear and your servos, control horns, etc.etc, and you can build about 4 medium sized foam planes with one 2oz bottle, the value is exceptional and far exceeds that of other glues, and you can't do that with GG, or CA,
Thanks
Eric G
Beacon Adhesives
Sir you brought up your reason why you had to raise your price and blamed it on the economy ,i just told you what we did in that same economy and it was to not pass it on to our costumers. Good luck
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:11 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,276 Posts
if you cant afford the listed price for a bottle of glue which many have commented on how much better it is compare then using other glue, then stay with your favorite brand, no one is forcing you to buy it, this hobby is not a cheap hobby, even though prices of lots of electronic has came down in price that is making it affordable to us thats great, we save in certain area to make up for other areas'

now in my field box i only carry 1 bottle of field repair glue, and its foam tac
no more 5 min epoxy in field box
no more foame safe ca in box
no more reg ca in box
no more kicker in box
no more hinge tape in box

i bring both foamies and wood plane and that 1 bottle is all i need to do repairs and fly again within 30 min of repairs

wow, did i just saved like 40 bucks from not buying all that glue and just spend 13$ for 1 bottle of foam tac? now thats something to think about

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:18 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,276 Posts
came back from GA. and finishing up both my Xeno and BH F86 (both that i won from last weekend BCSF funfly)
both using foam tac and some quick grip
the motor mount for the xano i use foam tac to see how it hold up on that area, will report after maiden tomorrow

-pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:04 AM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac Contest

Hi Guys,
Just a reminder, the October contest is ending in a few days so get your pictures posted to be in the running, ie: builds, repairs,tech tips, scratch built or ARF assembly, just post the pics and you are entered. We will announce the winner next week, so get to "sticken and clicken" for you chance. BTW Aircontrol, nice tip on the pushrods, using a heat gun, what a great idea and thanks to you for showing us your great lateral thinking skills. You are in the running!!!!!

Thanks
Eric
Beacon Adhesives
Eric Giorgiantonio is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Oct 2004
519 Posts
My version of the Ultimate Bipe

Here is my version of the Ultimate Bipe, i just finished it and i used Foam Tac
of course. Hope you like it, haven't done the maiden yet but will soon as weather conditions are right.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
OD
olddog is offline Find More Posts by olddog
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:44 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam-Tac

Hey Olddog,
Very nice I love Ultimate Bipes and yours is beautiful. What type of foam is it made of? and how about posting some spec's. wing span and so forth. anyway nice job, and you are entered.

Eric
the Deacon of beacon
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Oct 2004
519 Posts
Ok Eric, here are the spec's
Foam is DollarTree 5mm
Wingspan 29inches
Length is 27inches
Motor is Emax CF 2822
I will use a 3cell Batt. 800mah 30c
Weight with Batt. 14oz
And here is another pic. for you

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
And of course i used FoamTac glue to build it.
OD
olddog is offline Find More Posts by olddog
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:55 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac

Hey OD,

I'll say it again beautiful job, should fly awesome, you guys are talented builders and very creative, Thanks for the specs, that's a nice size small enough to be light and nimble big enough to have presence in the air, nice, nice, nice....

Eric
Beacon Adhesives
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:46 PM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Michels

Hi ERIC: I bet if you get Michels to sell Foam Tac (They already sell the 3 in 1)your sales will increase a lot.I know myself I HATE paying shipping cost and anytime I can find a product local all the more better.I bought a bottle of 3 in 1 thinking it was good for all foam.It says acid free on the bottle.Well it eat the Dollar Tree foam.so I wasted my money on 3in1.Thanks Ken
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam-Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparken57 View Post
Hi ERIC: I bet if you get Michels to sell Foam Tac (They already sell the 3 in 1)your sales will increase a lot.I know myself I HATE paying shipping cost and anytime I can find a product local all the more better.I bought a bottle of 3 in 1 thinking it was good for all foam.It says acid free on the bottle.Well it eat the Dollar Tree foam.so I wasted my money on 3in1.Thanks Ken
Hi Buddy,
3 in 1 is safe for EPP and EPO foam only, no good on any other type of foam, Acid free does not mean foam safe, it's good for wood, plastic, metal glass, etc...
As for Micheals, I'll see what I can do where do you live? do you have a hobby shop you frequent? Let me know who they are and I will contact them to see if they will sell Foam-Tac
Eric G
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:03 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,276 Posts
birth of polaris # 32 for Sandy, no the storm, our club member thesandman!!!
he saw the 125% polaris i build and loves it so im starting his build
heres my maiden, use MPF and foam tac, doing the same again on this one

polaris 125% maiden (1 min 45 sec)

-pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:24 PM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Giorgiantonio View Post
Hi Buddy,
3 in 1 is safe for EPP and EPO foam only, no good on any other type of foam, Acid free does not mean foam safe, it's good for wood, plastic, metal glass, etc...
As for Micheals, I'll see what I can do where do you live? do you have a hobby shop you frequent? Let me know who they are and I will contact them to see if they will sell Foam-Tac
Eric G
Hi ERIC I live in southern Calif city Downey.I sometimes go to Hobby People HS in Lakewood.
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:40 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam-Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparken57 View Post
Hi ERIC I live in southern Calif city Downey.I sometimes go to Hobby People HS in Lakewood.
Alrighty then, I will call them and see if we can't get you some Foam-Tac..
How's that? Good for me, good for you...

Thanks
Eric
The Deacon of Beacon