SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:32 AM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac

Hi Guys,
Pics coming later tried to post and my camera died So I went to one of the big electronic store web sites because the gave me a $40.00 off coupon but for the internet only, Anyway got a nice digital camera, be here this afternoon and I will use it for my pics tonight. I am also feverishly working on getting everything ready for the Toledo show. Lots of prep for that and arranging all the activities, I'll be real busy when I get there, can't wait!!!!

So keep your pics coming please,

Thanks

The Deacon of Beacon

Eric
Eric Giorgiantonio is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:56 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2002
206 Posts
Hi Eric,

I am building my first depron foamie, a kit Polaris XL, and am having trouble adjusting to foam-compatible adhesives. The only Foam Tac that I could find was the blue label version at HeadsUp RC. Of course it worked fine as a contact adhesive, when following the directions. However I made the mistake of using it for fillets and for gluing in the servos, as I would have used a silicone sealer. I found that thick applications will melt the foam. Now, it has dried rigid enough to leave that way. So my question is, does the new formula in the yellow label do that too? And, where can I get some?
Zoomer-Ron is offline Find More Posts by Zoomer-Ron
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:43 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer-Ron View Post
Hi Eric,

I am building my first depron foamie, a kit Polaris XL, and am having trouble adjusting to foam-compatible adhesives. The only Foam Tac that I could find was the blue label version at HeadsUp RC. Of course it worked fine as a contact adhesive, when following the directions. However I made the mistake of using it for fillets and for gluing in the servos, as I would have used a silicone sealer. I found that thick applications will melt the foam. Now, it has dried rigid enough to leave that way. So my question is, does the new formula in the yellow label do that too? And, where can I get some?
First off, blue label is the new stuff, yellow is old.

Second, I've used it plenty of times for gluing in servos. You have to let it air-dry first, though. Apply foam-tac to the servos liberally, push it in and out of the mounting spot once or twice, let it dry for 20 seconds (shorter than usual, you still want some workability), then push it in. If you let it dry it won't melt the foam.

It shouldn't have done that for fillets either. Maybe it just needs a bit more ventilation.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:46 AM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,465 Posts
Quote:
Hi Eric,

I would use ultra lightweight spackle for fillets next time, as its very easily sandable and very lightweight. I've used it to glue in servos and had no problems at all though.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:49 AM
redwhskers
United States, NY, East Nassau
Joined Feb 2010
391 Posts
Su-27 fatty

Eric

Updated plans on post # 808.

Build Fly Fix

RW
redwhskers is offline Find More Posts by redwhskers
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:48 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,961 Posts
Quote:
Hi Eric,

There's no place where fillets are required on Polaris, except perhaps for very small ones to seal up any gaps in the joints. With Depron construction, there should be virtually no glue showing, as any glue outside the joint adds no additional strength. A good glue joint, whether Foam Tac, epoxy or other glue, is stronger than the Depron. Adding extra glue just adds useless weight, and may have other undesirable consequences, as you have discovered.

I generally use low temp hot melt glue for servos, as it allows me to remove them with a hot air gun.

I've just finished my first all-Foam Tac build (a Mako) and had absolutely no problem with melting foam (or anything else). The Mako instructions warn about not using too much Foam Tac.

Very impressed with Foam Tac and will be using it much more in my Depron and MPF builds. Just about to start my fifth Polaris (not counting the XL, Mini and AquaCats).
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:47 PM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
572 Posts
Here's my entry. All that is left to do is mount the electrics in her. Built entirely with Foam-Tac.

John
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:50 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac

Quote:
Hi Eric,

Hi Buddy,
Sorry you had a problem with the Foam-Tac. This is only the second time I have been told about this happening. I can tell you that the other person that had a problem glued in a spar then covered it with tape while still wet, in this case the glue did not get enough ventilation and the guy filled the slot with alot of glue. This should not happen with either blue label or the newer version of Foam-Tac.
One thing to remember with Foam-Tac is a little goes a long way, when I glue in servos I put a bead of glue on the servo, push it in place and then pull apart, I leave apart for about 20 to 30 seconds then push it back, this gives the solvent time to evaporate. As for fillets I don't have any experience using Foam-Tac for this purpose, I will give it a try and get back to you. We are working on a Foam-Tac filler for this purpose it will be out soon.

Eric

The Deacon of Beacon
Eric Giorgiantonio is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:59 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
641 Posts
Zr and eg:

I just goofed with FT in the way eg described. Too much, used to span a gap, used wax paper between the join and the weight I used to immobilize it. I will be first in line for a FT filler. Gorilla/pu glue is just too chancey. I may have flubbed (fixable) with FT, but I screwed up 2 wings completely with pu glue and had to trash them.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:02 PM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
641 Posts
Eg: how do you reclaim servos after gluing them with FT?
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:53 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post
Eg: how do you reclaim servos after gluing them with FT?
put the servo in thin clear heat shrink and glue them in....then whe you want them out just cut the heat shrink
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:16 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,602 Posts
Eric, is the neck of the new bottle thicker than the other one? The screw on tip isn't going on straight & tight. It looks like the inner lip of the tip isnt going inside the neck. Unless I just got an odd bottle...
Can post a pic if that doesn't make any sense
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:18 PM
United States, MI, Oxford Charter Township
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Eric, is the neck of the new bottle thicker than the other one? The screw on tip isn't going on straight & tight. It looks like the inner lip of the tip isnt going inside the neck. Unless I just got an odd bottle...
Can post a pic if that doesn't make any sense
Mine did the same thing.

Mike
Mikeofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Mikeofthenorth
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:49 PM
United States, MI, Oxford Charter Township
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Here are some before and after pictures of my OSF.

Mike
Mikeofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Mikeofthenorth
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:13 AM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.E View Post
put the servo in thin clear heat shrink and glue them in....then whe you want them out just cut the heat shrink
Capital idea. I have been using generous amounts a hot melt glue, so I could use alcohol and then reuse them.