HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,839 Posts
Wow, $10.99 for 2oz of glue is pretty pricey. RC Foam has the old formula for $4.29. Is there really that much difference?

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:43 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,101 Posts
Yeah, almost three times more is not 'a little' more expensive. $11 seems like a lot.

J.P.
TheAeronut is online now Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:45 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam-Tac

Hi Guys, for those that do not have hobby shops local to them we are doing our best to get Foam-Tac in a store near you. In the mean time there are plenty of online sources for Foam-Tac.
To address the price issue, We have reformulated foam-Tac to last longer, dry faster and hold better than before, These are not things that are easy to see but you will when you use the product. and also please take into consideration that the cost of everything we buy everyday has gone up. the best way to look at it is this way, a 2oz bottle of Foam-Tac has an 11.99 suggested retail price, and if used correctly is enough to assemble 4 average sized foam airplanes, it is strong and it almost welds the foam together and it stays flexible and you can use it to glue everything on the plane ie: plane, servos , motor mount, landing gear, and make hinges, one glue for all those tasks, and it's foam safe for any type of foam, wood,plastic,metal Lexan, fiberglass, etc,etc. Now lets look at CA, an average price for a 2oz bottle of foam safe CA is around 16.00 to 22.00 then you need to get a bottle of accelerator for another 5.00 to 8.00 dollars bringing the total to around 21.00 to 30.00 dollars. CA is ok for foam but!!!! it does not bond as well. it makes noxious and dangerous smoke when you spray the kicker, it is very brittle, and hard, not so good for your flexible airplane , not as good as Foam-Tac for gluing motor mounts and landing gear, or servos, so you will need another glue for those things and you cannot make hinges with CA. How about Welders or other glues like that, first, those are only good for EPP and EPO, they will melt any other type of foam, they come in a tube and you should wear gloves when using them, and the tubes won't go as far as Foam-Tac will. So in the end the most cost effective glue is Foam-Tac.As for the old price the average was $7.99. So not quite 3 times more
If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Eric G
Beacon Adhesives
Eric Giorgiantonio is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
Last edited by Eric Giorgiantonio; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:58 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Giorgiantonio View Post
Hey Petey, Thanks so much for posting the hinge video, and for the planes you are building. I have to say it again you are the Don Of Depron, Emperor of EPP,
the F_____ of Foam, couldn't think of anything royal to go with "F"... I am amazed at how fast and how well you build, Beautiful work, Anyway Thanks again and I will see you Sunday can't wait,You are the Bomb Digiddy Yo Yo awsesome.
Eric
i dont get it, heheheh for real i dont get it

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:06 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbaby View Post
i dont get it, heheheh for real i dont get it

-pete
Hey Petey, I just mean you are the best in my opinion,
Eric
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,277 Posts
i dont work with beacon or for Eric, but i do love this glue!!! i might come to be talking like a saleman but im not, imho, this glue ( new formula) is the holy grail for us foam builders!!!

i agree with eric on his last statement, i build 2 100% polaris,1 mini drongo and 1 mini stingray with 1 bottle of foam tac, if i was to use my old glue for this, i would have gone through at least a 4 oz med foam safe ca and a bottle or close to a bottle of accel. per plane im ahead using foam tac, it can bond tightly within 20 sec after joining, releasing,joining after 5 sec of that then rejoin then wait 5 more sec then join permentlly, once the last joins it barely moves in 10 sec, its not fully cured but darn close, no need to spray accel on it, no need to apply tape on joints ( like gorilla glue from foaming out to outside joints) build goes MUCH faster and less messier then before. about sandable, yes and no, once you glue your joints, just run your finger by the excess glue with your finger on large globs, when it come to sand for the overall finsh of your model, it do sand pretty well, it wont clump up the sanding block but there is a little " rubber feel" when sanding those parts, if you doin a nose or canopy,with layers of foam, i use 3m77 for the lamination then it sands very easy for those parts.

i see where some of you are coming from on the price, but RD, testing, for the new formula do cost money and i think the price is well worth it.

for me, i will always have 1 bottle of foam tac on my table at all times now i know how it works and how i can work with the glue on building.

all this is just my opinion, im glad this product is out, me and quite a few of our club members are waitting for it to be on sale so we can stock up for the winter builds!

-pete
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by meanbaby; Oct 20, 2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: change much to less :)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Foam Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubCrafter View Post
Where can I buy Foam-Tac in the Columbus, Ohio area.

or where can I order it on-line.

Thanks,

Larry
Just a FYI check out Ebay for Foam Tac I found it (2) 2ounce Bottles for $14.95 and that is with FREE shipping. Happy Building !!!!
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:07 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,549 Posts
I was just moving some airplanes around in my basement and personally discovered the pitfalls of Welders..... The live hinges I made with welders were stiff and actually came off the airplane...... I've built a lot of epp and have used everything from Goop, Goop and Tuluene, Epoxy, CA and kicker, Gorilla Glue, Hot Glue, GWS Contact Glue........

There is nothing better than Foamtac...... At any Price!!!! Why would someone complain about saving 5 dollars on glue when building a 200.00 dollar foamie warbird....Meanwhile we spend 25.00 on a pilot but we skimp on the most important thing, the Glue!!!!

BTW: I heard that some internet sellers have been substituting Fabritac for their orders of FoamTac.... If thats so, it missleading and just wrong...

On another side note: Petey is The Fonz of Foam!!!!!
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Last edited by dr.E; Oct 20, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:22 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,549 Posts
Hey guys check this one out!!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1662128
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:08 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbaby View Post
build goes MUCH faster and much messier then before.
Did you mean to say much LESS messy? LOL

Bill
billbo1970 is offline Find More Posts by billbo1970
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
Eric did a pretty good job of addressing the price/value of the product, but he forgot one important fact... the shelf life (both opened & un-opened) is much longer than other types/brands of glue... especially CA!

Bill
billbo1970 is offline Find More Posts by billbo1970
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:47 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo1970 View Post
Did you mean to say much LESS messy? LOL

Bill
ops good catch Bill!!!

-pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:45 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.E View Post
interesting, might build one next week

-pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:51 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,443 Posts
This is my new West Michigan Park Flyer MX2. This was my first foam build with Foam-tac. Had previously used Goo. Foam Tac is much easier to use and much lighter than Goo. Love it!
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:39 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
This is my new West Michigan Park Flyer MX2. This was my first foam build with Foam-tac. Had previously used Goo. Foam Tac is much easier to use and much lighter than Goo. Love it!
Very nice!!! I love WMparkflyers.com planes, go together real easy with Foam-Tac and they fly awesome. Looks like your in the running, and you are entered, if you know what I mean, getting close to the end of the month when Beacon Adhesives shows their appreciation to one of the lucky people that posted pics of their Build, repair, or tech tip, very nice indeed....

Thanks
Eric G
Beacon Adhesives