WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:50 AM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
641 Posts
To enter, does Foam-Tac have to be the ONLY adhesive used? I have some gap-filling needs and Foam-Tac hardly seems appropriate. (FFF/Bluecor flying wing with a KFm3 air foil.)

FTR, using the "NEW" directions suggested by Eric with "OLD" purple-card Foam-Tac yields good results. I glued some FFF/Bluecor wing-halves together with it and if I had the time, I could have gone on with the project. A strong but flexible bond was had. Similar to my favorite Welders on EPP, but I needed/used less glue (and thus less weight).

Seems like good stuff. I think I will buy out my LHS's supply of OLD Foam-Tac. (LHS new management brought in old stock from another location out in BFE.)
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:39 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,578 Posts
Gap Filling=Foamtac+ plastic gift card
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:10 PM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.E View Post
Gap Filling=Foamtac+ plastic gift card
Still not seeing how this will fill gaps like Gorilla Glue. I have done small gaps with CA gel & baking soda, but still not seeing the Foma-Tac gap-filling solution.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post
Still not seeing how this will fill gaps like Gorilla Glue. I have done small gaps with CA gel & baking soda, but still not seeing the Foma-Tac gap-filling solution.
Hey Roo,
You will have good results filling gaps with Foam-Tac if you layer it, a bit at a time , it is time consuming and if you have a better way to do it or if you use another brand of glue that's fine, But the best way I have found to fill gaps with Foam-Tac is to use it like spackle, I trowel it in with and old gift card. I would appreciate if you don't show the other products in the pictures you post for the contest on this thread if at all possible. I am not so naive to think that guys will use only Foam-Tac, like you said you needed something to fill a gap and you had better results using the other glue, that's fine there are some situations where Foam-Tac may not be the best way to go because it's wasteful or just not practical, I get it, so to answer your question, yes anybody can submit pictures of their projects even if you did not use only Foam-Tac, just let us know how and on what you did use it for on your build, and post it so you can get in on this month's contest, and remember that if you were not picked for this month your submission is still good for future contest. I would also urge you to cross post your entry to the Foam-Tac.com web page as this increases your chance of winning.
Regards and good luck,
Eric G
The Deacon of Beacon
Eric Giorgiantonio is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:06 PM
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post
To enter, does Foam-Tac have to be the ONLY adhesive used? I have some gap-filling needs and Foam-Tac hardly seems appropriate. (FFF/Bluecor flying wing with a KFm3 air foil.)
Is the gap filling for the inside of the KF step.... If so you don't need it.....

Foam tack is flexible and does not create a stress point on the glued joint

Is gap filling for esthetics... If so there is no added strength to it, look for something that would flex just like the foamtac joint...I would just use foamtac and microballoons....

*******(actually I got a spice/coffee grinder and I put chuncks of EPO or EPS from the shipping crate and grind them, then I mix them with foamtack and apply to the gap)

How'd you like that Deacon
Last edited by dr.E; Nov 24, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
641 Posts
Okey dokey, a mid-build report on my FFF/Bluecor 36" WS KFm3 flying wing. (12" cord in the center, tapering to 8" at the tips; 30deg crank back from the nose.) I plan on using it for some airborne photography & video.

I like it.

Using EG's suggestion of laying the glue on one surface, pushing the parts together, pulling them apart for 10-20 sec, then pushing them together, you can march on though more steps than with most glues, excepting CA + kicker (or baking soda) or hot melt. The bond at that point is relatively secure, so that if you are not putting the bond under load, you can move on. For instance, I was able to march on through building the KFm3 airfoil almost to completion(1). Only the last step, which puts the whole deal under load, I was unable to complete in one sitting. I will have to let it cure to go any farther, though.

My favorite glue for EPP & EPO has been Welders. Foam-Tac is kinda like FFF-safe Welders that stiffens a bit more early on and lets you keep building longer.

More to come after what I have done cures.

(1) I included a carbon fiber arrow shaft in the first step. To get them to join at the center, I cut off a 1.5" bit of cf shaft and glued that down with FT, making a small triangle in the center. I then slathered JB Kwick (5min epoxy) all over the little triangle junction, spooging it inside the shafts. Hopefully, it will form a good, solid join.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:58 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,284 Posts
well, im still here guys, MPF came wed night and i been on a building frenzy to get me foam tac and mpf FIX!!!!

2 mini drangos
1 133% polaris
1 Pak Fa T-50(rcpowers ) for the sandman, he bought the plans an d wanted one, man that one took 4 sheets of my precccccccccccccciss )

telling you, foam tac sets up fast that you can continue your build faster then most glue out there

hope everyone had a great holiday!!!

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:07 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,523 Posts
The magic elixir

Hi Eric,

A friend sent me an alarming email today about our magic elixir...

Our supplier "RCFoam" was selling Faom Tac for $3.99 for a 2oz. bottle - we would go in together on orders for 15 to 20 bottles at a time and would get the shakes if our supply got below a 3 - 4 bottle stash limit.

It is fantastic glue!

It was time for a re-order - he informed me this morning that the price has gone from $3.99 a bottle to $11.99 a bottle. OMG!!!

http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...fbb0f35f007f6b

Is there something going on that we should know about? Is there a world shortage of key ingredients or something?

Is there any reason the price would go up 300 percent with in a few months?

UHU Por was the glue of choice before Foam Tac came along and now it's cheaper!

http://www.rcfoam.com/index.php?cPath=90&osCsid=58a0ab5ee18f09203afbb0f3 5f007f6b

Please let us know what's going on!!!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Last edited by GLM; Nov 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:13 AM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
[QUOTE=dr.E;23345459]Is the gap filling for the inside of the KF step.... If so you don't need it.....

Foam tack is flexible and does not create a stress point on the glued j

Is gap filling for esthetics... If so there is no added strength to it, look for something that would flex just like the foamtac joint...I would just use foamtac and microballoons....

*******(actually I got a spice/coffee grinder and I put chuncks of EPO or EPS from the shipping crate and grind them, then I mix them with foamtack and apply to the gap)

How'd you like that Deacon[/QUOTE

The Deacon gives his blessing to this great tech tip, Carlos you are anointed the Friar of Foam-Tac, and the Guru of Gap Filling!!!!
What a great idea. grind up some EPO, or EPS and mix with Foam-Tac..Awesome Put that in your gap and fill it!!!!!
I approve
Eric
The Deacon of Beacon
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:18 AM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam-Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Hi Eric,

A friend sent me an alarming email today about our magic elixir...

Our supplier "RCFoam" was selling Faom Tac for $3.99 for a 2oz. bottle - we would go in together on orders for 15 to 20 bottles at a time and would get the shakes if our supply got below a 3 - 4 bottle stash limit.

It is fantastic glue!

It was time for a re-order - he informed me this morning that the price has gone from $3.99 a bottle to $11.99 a bottle. OMG!!!

http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...fbb0f35f007f6b

Is there something going on that we should know about? Is there a world shortage of key ingredients or something?

Is there any reason the price would go up 300 percent with in a few months?

UHU Por was the glue of choice before Foam Tac came along and now it's cheaper!

http://www.rcfoam.com/index.php?cPath=90&osCsid=58a0ab5ee18f09203afbb0f3 5f007f6b

Please let us know what's going on!!!

Gary
Hi Gary,
Apparently you have not been keeping up with what is going on, and I won't go into it here. You can find all your answers on the" Where to buy Foam-Tac" thread started by Bilbo. This is the contest forum for Foam-Tac. You can submit your build, repair or tech-tip photos here for a monthly contest where you could win a $50.00 Visa cash card and a bottle of the new formula Foam-Tac,
Good luck and enter often,
Eric
The Deacon of Beacon
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:41 AM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
400 Posts
Tuff Cub Trainer plane

Designed a tuff EPP trainer for some indoor flying this winter. Foam-Tac really holds the dihedral in the wing tips and yet the wing is still flexible. Last night I flew into a steel pole at half speed with no damage!!
Has a KFM airfoil, 32" wing span and 6oz auw.
aircontrol is offline Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:34 AM
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontrol View Post
Designed a tuff EPP trainer for some indoor flying this winter. Foam-Tac really holds the dihedral in the wing tips and yet the wing is still flexible. Last night I flew into a steel pole at half speed with no damage!!
Has a KFM airfoil, 32" wing span and 6oz auw.

Looks good....Will plans be available?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:08 AM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.E View Post
Looks good....Will plans be available?

As soon as I can get the templates so I can get them into the cad we will be offering kits / plans and all the rest of the goodies to go with it.

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Giorgiantonio View Post
Hi Gary,
Apparently you have not been keeping up with what is going on, and I won't go into it here. You can find all your answers on the" Where to buy Foam-Tac" thread started by Bilbo. This is the contest forum for Foam-Tac. You can submit your build, repair or tech-tip photos here for a monthly contest where you could win a $50.00 Visa cash card and a bottle of the new formula Foam-Tac,
Good luck and enter often,
Eric
The Deacon of Beacon
I guess you're right - my supply kept me insulated from the storm...

Went in search last night after I had my little rant and found the thread you mention - and you're right - it's all there... I realize your position and having the job of speaking to the crowd is not always fun. For that I commiserate.

Sorry to muddy the wrong thread.

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM