HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:55 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,873 Posts
Discussion
Current drain of Hobby King LiPo moniitor

Anyone knows or has measured the current drain of this Hobby King LiPo voltage monitor?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7224
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
IMO, don't buy it. 6v is way too low for a cutoff on a 2s pack. You want something more like 3.4v/cell, or even higher if you run high C packs.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,873 Posts
I already have it, and the different led conditions make it possible to stop way before the 3 volts. I don't let it get beyond flashing blue light anyway, and certainly won't drive till it starts buzzing.

But the reason I wonder about the current draw is that the connector is under the body of the car, and if I can keep it connected I don't have to remove the body when I go drive for 10 minutes in my morning break, and then later that day in another coffee break or so.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:44 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
As a general rule, you shouldn't leave the battery plugged into anything when not running it.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:09 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
I agree that you shouldn't leave a battery plugged in regardless. That said, and if no one knows the answer, you can do your own sort of test. When you get home some night, plug it in and record the battery voltage with a voltmeter. Come back an hour later and check the voltage again. If it hasn't changed much, check it again an hour after that. It should only take an evening to figure out if it's going to drain to quickly.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:34 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,873 Posts
It's not that the car is out of my sight during the pause, where it is deactivated until the next coffee-break. But there is a risk letting it plugged in if something comes between me and driving my car. I could opt for a small switch between saver and battery, that way I can still leave the saver connected but not powered and I can leave the body on, but have all the electrics unpowered.

Measuring voltage drop can be a little deceiving, it's hard to determine the used mAh as the voltage drops very slowly on a LiPo. I think it's better to measure amp draw directly, or in this case probably milli-amp draw...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined Sep 2011
44 Posts
I don't know specifics but my summit originally had one on one 2s and i would notice after every run the one it was on since you only connect to 1cell was always. .10 lower than the non monitored side and this was usually after a 30 min run. I would advise against as it unbalances your cells. If need one get one that checks all cells, or upgrade to a lvc esc, or even a novak smart stop, its what i run on my summit now
raw111 is online now Find More Posts by raw111
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:21 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,873 Posts
This one looks at the tota voltage, not a single cell. That is why you need to buy a seperate one for each type of battery, 1S, 2S, 3S, etc. So no risk of unbalancing the lipo. But so far I end up driving only once a day, so I don't leave anything plugged.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:00 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I have a couple of these units and I use them in some of my boats and my sons 1/16 Traxxas before switching to brushless. Couple of things here.. They do monitor the whole pack not just one cell, They blink before they go solid red and the alarm although faint does sound.. And lastly, do not leave it plugged into the battery for an extended period. I did one and forgot it overnight.. The used battery that was at 3.6 volts fell to well below 3 volts when I remembered the next day. Thankfully it was a smaller cheap pack and nothing but a lesson learned.. Don't leave lipo's plugged in ever when not using them....I can't say they will drain a larger pack if left on for a long period, but smaller packs you have to be aware.
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:46 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,873 Posts
Thanks for the insight. What do you consider a small pack, what capacity? From 3.6 to 3.0 isn't that much in capacity usually, as 3.6 unloaded voltage means the lipo is already over 85% drained, probably more close to 90%, and voltage tends to drop much faster in that stage then going from full state, at 4.20 volt, to considered pretty empty, 3.7 volts. The current drain of a regular SMD led can't be that high.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
The small pack i was refering to was a 1300 mah 3 cell lipo in one of my small heli's.. I unplugged the esc, but forgot the lipo monitor was still plugged in. just in too much of a hurry I guess.. It was raining and had to run inside.. Thankfully, discharging the battery usually kills the battery but didn't in this case lead to anything else.. Puffed or worse.. Battery looked fine, just wouldn't take a charge after that
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1