HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:36 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesoar View Post
Great suggestions.... I like the Coroplast idea!

@ JT: Fedex Ground for a Sportube between CA->HI = $240, HI->CA = $120

However, if I go the Coroplast way, how do I get around the "80" linear dimension" limitation (length+width+height)? Currently, there is no limitation if is a Sportube, as it classifies as "Sporting Equipment" (snowskis in winter, waterskis in summer

Joe
American airlines, United, Alaska, Lufthansa and British airways and air canada are all at 102-105 linear inches so a 76 inch long box by 16wx16h works out perfectly for most. You can fit 7 planes in a box that size and still be under 50 lbs if you use the 10mm coroplast.

I have been using the coroplast and bulkheads and it looks like my box was dropped by fedex from a significant height on the trip back from the WSM. One fuse fin got a tiny dimple. The extruded edges of the box were damaged, the auluminium bent but the planes survived.

Coroplast rocks -
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:43 AM
Honolulu, HI , United States
Joined May 2000
309 Posts
When you get a chance, can you post some photos of the Coroplast box?

Thanks!

Joe
joesoar is offline Find More Posts by joesoar
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,965 Posts
Quote:
When you get a chance, can you post some photos of the Coroplast box?

Thanks!

Joe
Sure here are two designes I did. One has a traditional hinge (piano hinge) which I am not a fan of but never failed me. That box has 90 degree plastic extruded molding on the top of the lid and 90 degree aluminium on all other corners. The extra extrusions add a lot of weight but this box with 5 planes is still under 50 lbs.

The second one was made differently and I like it a lot more. I dremmelled out the seam on the inside of the 10mm coroplast so I could get a 90 degree fold along the bottom of the entire box. The virtical 4 pieces of extruded plastic are riveted the corners through the coroplast and into small section of extra aluminium 90 degree corner material.

The top is an extruded aluminium 3/8 inch 90 with an extra channel which accepts the lid that slides on. CHeck otu the product details here on that piece because its an essential portion.

http://www.tchweb.com/tchstore/produ...ble-Angle.html

The value of this slide on lid is several. 1) The box is much stronger from a side load scenario than with a traditional lid. 2) It makes for a lighter case with far less hardware and there are no clasps or latches to stick out and tear off. 3) you can put a virtial flute down the middle and create a box that you can stand on and not crush a model. So stacking luggae is no threat at all.

I have attached a picture of the fuse shelf - fuses are retained with a thich section of carbaord tube which has holes for the tow hook and two on the sides for heavy zap straps. The fuses cant slide around at all. When they tip the box on its end nothing can move. The stab box has the stabs taped inside them and is sandwhiched by the fin shelf shelf that covers that stab box and retains the tips and fuses from moving.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined May 2000
309 Posts
Great box... Very nice. Thank you for all the details.

I think I will do something similar, but sized to fit inside a Dakine ski bag - best of both worlds!

Joe
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,965 Posts
Quote:
Great box... Very nice. Thank you for all the details.

I think I will do something similar, but sized to fit inside a Dakine ski bag - best of both worlds!

Joe
I also have a coroplast insert for my sport tube that allows a single x2 3.4 or 4.0 but im not sure if the fin would survive so I have not used it yet.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:19 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
Here is my build thread from 2008.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876781

This may be larger than you need, but it's easy to adjust the dimensions.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:52 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanoc2 View Post
Tuomo,

do you use 10mm coroplast or are you able to find 8mm?

Stefano
Sorry, I was away... Travelling - without models

We use 5mm material. It is actually not Coroplast, it is Vikuprop. Just different brand name. Material is 100% same.

There is no need for thicker than 5mm material. Our boxes have survived so many flights that I am not worried anymore. When packed and closed by tape they are strong enough to sit on, although I would not recommend sitting in the middle if you are a big an, ends are ok.

The idea of a Coroplast box is to make it from one piece material without any hinges etc. Just fold, glue and tape. This gives lightest and strongest result. However, 8mm or 10mm material is very difficult to fold. I think you cannot use thicker than 5mm without special tools, and even that takes some practice and helping hands.

I do not have any internals in the box. I lay down wing in the bottom as webbsolution. Then I have bubble plastic and clothes that I need. On top I lay the fuselages with a layer of something soft - packing material or clothes. To other end I pack my tools in soft pouch. Ballast rods are taped to bottom corner of the box.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Last edited by Tuomo; Oct 22, 2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:12 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,421 Posts
This is what my latest box looked like when it was new. Now it is very worn out.

This box is barely wide enough for 3 planes (wings limit). I made it little higher since I anticipated the new higher rudders. In practise the extra height is not needed but if I need, I can transportsome wing parts flat beween main wing packing and fuselages.

I suggest you to make the box nice and tight. Allow some room for the xtra stuff and clother you might need. By doing this you can avoid having separate luggage - I fly often without any extra fee. If you ned a bigger box one, a new one costs just 30-40e.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:37 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
I have started on this box today. It is made from an aluminum composite and hope to keep it at arround 9Kg 1600x600x400
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:41 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
1600mm long. I assume this is for F3K because F3J, F3B, and F3F planes won't fit.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walter View Post
1600mm long. I assume this is for F3K because F3J, F3B, and F3F planes won't fit.
It has been built specifically for a trip to NZ in December with a number of 1.2m and 1.6m gliders and wings, but it will fit my double carbon faser fuse (that will eventually have a 3 piece wing)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined May 2000
309 Posts
I was able to obtain a second Sportube top only as well. Will try to make a "Supertube" by using two top halves with a modified bottom half to hold it all together. Then, Coroplast box inside.... Well, thats the plan at least...

Thanks again for all the suggestions, photos and construction advice!

Joe
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
After trying to save weight on the box I ordered some really heavy wheels that are to big.

I had been searching for recessed castors, much like on suit cases. Found what looked ok online but on arrival the are over 600g each
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined May 2000
309 Posts
Auselectric,

How about a set of wheels with an axle that you can order from Sportube for $25? They are just the right size and not heavy. Look under replacement parts / Sportube III.

Joe
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSELECTRIC View Post
After trying to save weight on the box I ordered some really heavy wheels that are to big.

I had been searching for recessed castors, much like on suit cases. Found what looked ok online but on arrival the are over 600g each
wheels plus baggage ramps...= velocity

velocity+fixed objects = broken parts

detachable wheels - better solution.

You have to remember that we are building these boxes for the worst scenarios - baggage handlers who toss them onto a ramp which may be a full story high...

I was at an airport this morning and I watched a guy pickup his Pelican case which was actually broken! He said it was in perfect shape before he handed to air Canada.