HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:28 AM
Honolulu, HI , United States
Joined May 2000
317 Posts
Discussion
Long Distance Sailplane Transportation

Looking for sources of boxes into which I can fit two Open Class sailplanes.

I have been using a Sportube for the past 10 years, but abandoning this after repeated & recent damage to my planes.

Anyone know of and/or using airline approved boxes? (I think the limit is 80" in length).

Would be interested in manufacturers/models/pricing/etc.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
joesoar is offline Find More Posts by joesoar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:42 AM
launch high, go fast
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined May 2008
152 Posts
Ask us Aussies :-) we travel the world with models.

My Mate Steve has seen his box thrown from a 737 cargo door onto the tarmac. Ouch, it damaged the wing tips. Another mate, with a black sportube had his model left on the tarmac in 50 deg heat in Dubai.... The wings puffed like popcorn :-(

Apart from sportube, I have taken models overseas in 2 ways without problems:
1. Custom made cardboard box within a box with foam between the layers. Model supported by bulkheads within the inner box, or
2. Custom made box with aluminum extrusion edges and hard plastic sides made from a coroplast type material. Again, the model parts are supported by bulkheads ( these were the boxes that Cobra sailplanes were exported from the UK to Australia in back in the '90's)

Another solution I have seen is a simple coroplast box with models packed in plenty of bubble wrap ( Joe W can maybe provide more detail)

The secrets are:
A. Strong enough that luggage packed on top will not crush the box
B. "crumple zones" so that a dropped box from 6m from a cargo door on an airliner either deforms the box (eg the cardboard box in option 1) or has some sort of energy absorbing capability within the box ( eg a hard case with foam and bulk heads inside) the insides must have energy absorbing material at each end eg foam, or bulkhead where the parts are flexibly fixed to them.

Weight is also a consideration - the coroplast solution works well, cheap, disposable and energy absorbing. To my mind, the sportube does not allow enough support inside. Drop it and the parts inside move and smash into the ends.

Cheers,
John
luvF3b is offline Find More Posts by luvF3b
Last edited by luvF3b; Oct 12, 2012 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Typos by trying to do this on a bloomin iPhone:-)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:09 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,434 Posts
I fly all the time with coroplast box. It is strong enough and very nice to handle. And best of all, you can easily make a custom boxes that fit your needs.

Just remember to use enough padding inside to prevent fuses moving. I use mostly spare clothing. Weight of the box with 3 F3J planes, most inportant tools, clothing etc is about 15kg.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:04 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,569 Posts
Stick with the Sportube and ship FedEx. My experience is that TSA is more responsible than the airlines for damage when unpacking/repacking, as they have no concern for what is inside the box they rifle through and will just cram stuff back in. I've had to make claims on TSA the last 3 times I took planes on a flight with me, now just ship in advance and build the delivery time into the trip.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
453 Posts
Tuomo,

do you use 10mm coroplast or are you able to find 8mm?

Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:06 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
Check this out. I am moving from Sportube to this with a coroplast box built inside.

http://www.dakine.com/p/bags/ski-bag...ncourse-double

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:06 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,323 Posts
I took a couple of aeroplanes to Austria this summer and used one of these - http://images.peliproducts.co.uk/3dcases/1770/1770.html
I also use these at work they offer real peace of mind when tranporting valuable and / or expensive kit.
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:45 PM
Finland, Klaukkala
Joined Sep 2011
49 Posts
Peli cases are way too heavy....
janne savolainen is offline Find More Posts by janne savolainen
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:31 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Check this out. I am moving from Sportube to this with a coroplast box built inside.

http://www.dakine.com/p/bags/ski-bag...ncourse-double

Mike
That's an interesting thought. I already have one of those.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:38 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
Tom Kiesling and Oleg have these. Really cool way to go. They are considered Ski bags, so tell the counter agent that there are skiis in there and you are in like Flynn.

M
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined May 2000
317 Posts
Great suggestions.... I like the Coroplast idea!

@ JT: Fedex Ground for a Sportube between CA->HI = $240, HI->CA = $120

However, if I go the Coroplast way, how do I get around the "80" linear dimension" limitation (length+width+height)? Currently, there is no limitation if is a Sportube, as it classifies as "Sporting Equipment" (snowskis in winter, waterskis in summer

Joe
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:04 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Oct 2009
157 Posts
Janne Savolainen makes nice boxes, I have one and have been very satisfied with it. Sturdy and empty weight is reasonable.

Mine is black but next one will be some other colour, it becomes a bit too hot in the field. In Finland ok, but there seems to be warmer climates
Just bought me a 4m Xplorer2, I need to have another box (longer...).

Here is the link to Janne's firm, he is a professional box maker:

http://www.js-case.fi/Lennokit_en.htm

Tommy
Tommy Wee is offline Find More Posts by Tommy Wee
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:56 AM
Joined May 2000
317 Posts
Great - thank you!

Joe
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:29 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,371 Posts
Joe, the DaKine bag is classified the same as a Sporttube by the airlines. It's a ski bag. Bob M and TK brought their models to SA in them.

Bob built himself a gorgeous and lighweight wood box that fit perfectly inside it. He flew Icon 2's and an Explorer. The I2 has a 72" center panel. I think he brought 3 of them.

Tom had a rather ghetto coroplast and tape job that was just as functional...

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined May 2000
317 Posts
Hmmm... Sounds interesting...

I was also thinking of taking two Sportube top halves, shorten one a bit and make a "Supertube" out of it, as the bottom half always has gotten damaged (thinner plastic).

Will check out the dimensions of the Dakine bag... Ideally trying to fit a Maxa 4 and an AVA (dang bent wings). Maybe have to modify the wings to flatten out during transportation.

Thanks again!

Joe