SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:25 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,124 Posts
Absolutley amazing ...

Look at those hose clamps !

And knowing all the gearing inside the casings, So fortunate to have this recorded in pictures.

Wish I could get some of the green stain he used in the bottom of the hull, wonder what it is specifically ~
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:42 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,853 Posts
Don't know what his preference was for paint and stains. I do know he did not use rattle cans, maybe on occasion. His boats all have brushed paint from what I can recall.
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:32 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,825 Posts
Looks to me like Cuprinol wood preserver like we used to use in the big boat bilges.

bill
sound sailor is offline Find More Posts by sound sailor
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:15 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,543 Posts
Hi Ken,

Thanks so much for posting his work. We surely lost a master for sure. Dave's attention to detail was impeccable.

His work will live on.

-Rich.
RICH404 is offline Find More Posts by RICH404
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,823 Posts
KENNY- I think that Dave and I used the same water based acrylic paints which we purchased at either Michaelís or A.C. Moore. The paint can be thinned out with water to what ever thickness you want, for staining wood, air brushing, or just brushing out the paint.

I also started using mixed acrylic paint samples from both Home Depot and Lowes.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,853 Posts
Rich, now that you said that I remember you both talking about the paints from Michael's or AC Moore in one of the meetings. Thanks for mentioning it.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:47 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,853 Posts
Sorry to say this is the last group of photos that I have from Dave's wife. All pictures of the completed boat in Dave's shop.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:50 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,152 Posts
What amazing work. Thanks again for posting this series of pictures- an inspiration to us all.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,124 Posts
Thx

Thanks very much Ken for doing all of this, without your effort we would not have had the benefit of seeing this mans work and the experiencing inspiration that comes with it.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:12 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,853 Posts
One photo I missed posting. Building his captain.

Dave used everything from wood, plastics and sintra. He probably used foam core poster board from craft stores as seats.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
I just stumbled across this and I have to say Wow! Dave did an incredible job recreating an early to mid 1950's Hubert Johnson sea skiff built in Bay Head New Jersey!
Ned l is offline Find More Posts by Ned l
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:02 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,853 Posts
Welcome to RC Groups Ned I.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:32 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,618 Posts
Truly mind blowing, exceptional work. Thank you very much for sharing!
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:22 AM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Here is a picture of one of the 'real' ones.

Again, just beautiful. I also love his Hubert Johnson Blackjack! (Oh, and Miss Belmar is dead on as well.)
Ned l is offline Find More Posts by Ned l
Old May 10, 2013, 02:58 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,853 Posts
So we lost our club Commodore and friend Dave Kammerer in August of 2012. Sandy swept through the area in October. So his wife Joan had a double tragedy that year. Dave and Joan lived about less than a half mile from the coast, beach, water, whatever. That area was pretty devastated by the storm.

On May 5th, Californiakid (Larry) and myself went to visit Joan to do a few things and see how she was doing. Her street looks pretty good except for the house across the street which is condemned and up for sale as the basement collapsed. Joan had to removed the entire contents of the basement, and get a new water heater, washer, dryer and HVAC equipment. Lot's of things in the basement were a total loss, that is where Dave spent his time building his boats. Joan graciously gave me a few pictures showing the basement filled with water. One picture is his shop area, and another is where Dave kept his completed boats in cabinets. After the storm a few people from the church helped remove the boats and they were stored in someone's basement. Joan told me the boats were back home and said it was fine to come over and take pictures of them. My thought was I will never see these masterpieces again.

So over the next week or so I'll be posting pictures of all of his boats. Some he had sold or did on commission so these will only be the boats he kept.
Last edited by ken_nj; May 10, 2013 at 03:22 PM.