Thank You.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:33 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
Yes he mills his own wood! He had an arraignment with a local lumber yard that they would save some scrap wood from projects and he would come by to pick it up for nothing. Only problem was his arraignment was with an older owner. The grandson had started to run the business and was reluctant to give away something for nothing. He has a supply of assorted wood types that he would mill to fit his projects. Besides his band saw, he would use a thickness planner to make consistent material to use for hull construction and planking. Some which you see in the following pictures.
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:48 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
ken_nj, thanks for your effort to show us Dave's work- it is a real pleasure to look at and read about. Amazing stuff.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
Great pics Ken. I'm trying to understand the component arrangement. Does one battery pack power the drive motors, and the other battery pack powers the radio? I didn't know that scale boats had gone the LiPo route. I thought they were still using NiCads.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:16 AM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
Your looking at the drawing in post #4? Looks like to me he has two batteries plugging into the bus bar. On the left he explains 2-2800mah and on the right 5600mah total so he must have them in parallel, one pack portside and the other starboard. There is also a 7805 in the lower picture to supply the receiver.

I'll add these photos. This is not the boat that is associated to the drawings. This boat had a gas engine in it and he rebuilt this on commission. The hull need to be stripped and he yanked out whatever was inside the boat, left a lot of room. I don't have any pictures of the rebuild, maybe I can get them later. The brushless motor in this thing is massive, about the size of my fist, as well as the Lipo battery pack. And for an electric motor, it was fast!!!

You should be able to see a video of this boat running on our Facebook page. It should be the lower left video on the FB page that comes up.

http://www.facebook.com/GSMB.NJ/videos
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:10 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
I get it. Thanks.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,834 Posts
Sorry duplicate post removed
sound sailor is offline Find More Posts by sound sailor
Last edited by sound sailor; Oct 13, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,834 Posts
I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Dave at the WRAM show. He was very gracious with his time and advice and I spent a good part of my day, at the show, admiring his work. He told me then about making his own figures and suggested I give it a try. (something I have not dared to try) He certainly was a master craftsman !
Hope you don't mind me postng one of Dave's works I drooled over that day.

Bill
sound sailor is offline Find More Posts by sound sailor
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:45 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
Hi Bill, I was there as well. Thanks for adding those photos. Here are a few more of the Katherine. And of course you can see a figure piloting the boat. Certainly adds to the realism.

When Dave displayed his boats, he had a sign board for each one describing the boat and the model. His wife was also into scrapbooking and they had a scrapbook people could page through to see how each model was constructed.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
Thnx

Now were cookin...

Thanks Ken.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:35 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
I was wrong on this... I guess those thin strips that are thumb tacked to the stations are used to check the trueness of the stations before adding the planks. And they are removed before planking. Frankg told me at our monthly meeting that those thin strips are ledger strips.

As far as I know he did not have books related to modeling. He did have books related to boat building. Specifically wooden boat building. In a previous set of pictures he used a tree branch for the forefoot and stem, so you can see he appears to be following traditional boat building methods.
Last edited by ken_nj; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:14 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
Amazing intuitive skills, only seen a few people in my life who could look at something ~

and build from that.

Thanks Ken.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,732 Posts
Wow what fantastic workmanship, Love his drawings, you can see how the meticulous planing makes his work what it is.

Sorry to hear this and my sympathies to his family.

Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
Getting really interesting at this point. I tried to educate myself further by reading a few online articles about lapstrake construction. Too many terms and methods for me at this point especially since I will not be building a model with these methods. BUT, it was interesting reading. I found this link, http://www.selway-fisher.com/clinker_ply.htm which follows the way Dave is building the Nixe.

The last photo looks awesome!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:02 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
Cool clamps ~ ( he probably made them too ! ).

Any idea how long the build took ?