HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Question
First Heli...Dumb Questions(DH9116)

I just ordered a DH 9116 ($50shipped couldn't resist). Battery is charging as we speak. Am I supposed to tighten the main blades? Didn't say in the manual, but it seems weird to me and I think it might be missing something.

Thanks
spstimie is offline Find More Posts by spstimie
Last edited by spstimie; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:00 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spstimie View Post
I just ordered a DH 9116 ($50shipped couldn't resist). Battery is charging as we speak. Am I supposed to tighten the main blades? Didn't say in the manual, but it seems weird to me and I think it might be missing something.

Thanks
see how it flies with the blades loose... kind of hard to advise without seeing how loose they are in person. I'll tell you this, there should be no up and down play at the base of the blade, where it screws into the blade grip. But they need to be loose enough (moving side to side) so that they straighten themselves out when you spool up.

Also, try to tighten each side about the same.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:16 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
I don't think you can make the blades overly tight on the 9116, from memory? Don't quote me though, my memory these days isn't all that good! Just be a bit careful you don't over-tighten and bust the blade grips is all I'm saying...

I replaced a couple of sets on mine and don't remember ever getting them anywhere near tight
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,344 Posts
On any FP heli, the blades should be loose enough that you can push them sideways with gentle pressure. They have to be able to seek their own balance point, but not be so loose they flop around.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
no up and down play, but they move side to side smooth. Went out and hopped around a bit friday night. crashed a few times. held up well. Reading through RADD's training write ups.

it didn't pitch forward very well, but side to side and back were good. Guess we will see if i like this enough to spend some real money on a heli. it is definitely more difficult than my fathers blade quad. I was hovering that after 10 minutes.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:53 AM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spstimie View Post
no up and down play, but they move side to side smooth. Went out and hopped around a bit friday night. crashed a few times. held up well. Reading through RADD's training write ups.

it didn't pitch forward very well, but side to side and back were good. Guess we will see if i like this enough to spend some real money on a heli. it is definitely more difficult than my fathers blade quad. I was hovering that after 10 minutes.
maybe there is some setting up you have to do to it to get better forward cyclic. Maybe your swashplate isn't level.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
maybe there is some setting up you have to do to it to get better forward cyclic. Maybe your swashplate isn't level.
The swash plate is not level. I am reading as much as I can about learning to fly and tuning the helicopter.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:01 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,961 Posts
Helicopters are more of a tinkerers hobby than about flying it seems. How many hours of maintenance does it take on average to achieve an hour (that would be about five flights) of flight time.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Helicopters are more of a tinkerers hobby than about flying it seems. How many hours of maintenance does it take on average to achieve an hour (that would be about five flights) of flight time.
They can fly for 50-100 flights without much maintenance besides checking screws and a couple drops of oil if they are not landed hard (or crashed of course). That's for clones with inexpensive bearings and gears/belts Better quality helis could conceivably run double or triple that I guess. I don't have any better quality helis myself.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:17 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,344 Posts
My 5 year old Hirobo Quark has had about 2 hours of maintenance in total.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Ok, so trying to adjust pitch tonight. If I pitch straight back the right servo doesn't move. straight back is about 5 o'clock on the stick. If I pitch straight Right the left servo doesn't move. Right is about 2 o'clock on the stick. Any thoughts? I know BALR has mentioned the PCB is an issue with these. Is this adjustable?
Last edited by spstimie; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:08 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Since I keep track of that:

Pure preventive maintenance: 15 to 30 minutes per 10 hours of flight, approximately, for fuel powered helicopters. It is a bit depending on whether there is a fuselage that takes extra time when doing maintenance.

Electric helicopters are usually a lot less time consuming, say 5 to 10 minutes per 10 hours of flight

That goes more or less for all types, unless you are doing hardcore 3D with it. Usually hardcore 3D does not require maintenance, it will typically need repair before it is due for maintenance....

Time needed for repairs is completely depending on your flying skills, your mechanical skill and the quality of the helicopter.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
I was only able to fly this a couple times when I first got it. First flight, I hit a cement stair case from 20" up and crashed it a few times in the grass.

Last time I flew it(2nd flight), prior to adjusting the swash, I was up in my loft trying to hover. It got going toward the stairs. I shut it down and it slid down the stairs. 16 stairs and no worse for wear. The DH9116 is pretty tough for the cost.

Did I mention I am not a great rc helicopter pilot?

Adjusting the swash maybe took five minutes.

Finally got in three flights this afternoon after I adjusted the swash(still not perfect but better). All in the house. By the third flight I was hovering okay and keeping it in the air for most of the battery. Once I get a little more control I can take it to work. We have an empty warehouse where I have taken my rc drift car.
Last edited by spstimie; Oct 22, 2012 at 02:44 AM.