SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:42 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,111 Posts
The old shape looks good. The new one does look more like the pictures that I find. Either one works for me. I am more interested in the style than exact shape. Better yet is whatever it takes to make it fly it's best.

Keep up the good work.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
This the one i built off the vietnam guys plans. Id like to do another for edf
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:12 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
United States, IN, Terre Haute
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAeronut View Post
The old shape looks good. The new one does look more like the pictures that I find. Either one works for me. I am more interested in the style than exact shape. Better yet is whatever it takes to make it fly it's best.

Keep up the good work.

J.P.
That's why I altered the shape initially based on my previous experience was pretty sure it would fly. Now I'm applying what I learned from the first plane to the new plane which is accurate to the Dultsev drawings. I think it will fly just as well. Glide tests were good. I will use the motor and servos from my recently crashed Flanker.
bobdaeronort is online now Find More Posts by bobdaeronort
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:12 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
This the one i built off the vietnam guys plans. Id like to do another for edf
Cool.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:59 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
SO I finished my new and improved Sukhoi Delta PAK FA with Alexander Dultsev's original wing design and not my like my first shaved tail version and took her out for her maiden flight.
Every thing was fine till she hit the parking lot light pole almost completely severed her left wing and broke her right in half.

Delta PAK FA Model B (1 min 51 sec)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:11 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,951 Posts
Ouch!

Bob, I loved your choice to laugh at the whole thing...

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:35 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,111 Posts
I've done the pole thing, but not on the first flight.

Doesn't look too bad from here... A little glue and a little tape and she'll be fine for plenty of test flights.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:59 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAeronut View Post
I've done the pole thing, but not on the first flight.

Doesn't look too bad from here... A little glue and a little tape and she'll be fine for plenty of test flights.

J.P.
She was pretty shattered. The fuse was the only intact part. I've already started her sister.
I also moved the motor aft an inch and a half on this one too.
I did get the nose right this time. It looks less like a toe shoe.
I'm thinking about doing a build video. It's not like one of my easiest "Five Easy Piece" planes.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:04 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave View Post
Ouch!

Bob, I loved your choice to laugh at the whole thing...

Dave-
Well as Tony Soprano often said, "Whattayagonnado?"
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Plan to release any uh plans? My full fuse version is choosing to be a pita so im about ready to move to a profil version. I cant seem to get cog right after my first few flights and just keep crashing
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:10 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
Plan to release any uh plans? My full fuse version is choosing to be a pita so im about ready to move to a profil version. I cant seem to get cog right after my first few flights and just keep crashing
Yes I now had a working template that needs a few little tweaks. I've built two from it now , three total planes. My first was more or less freehand. The pattern is true to Alexander Dultsev's drawings. With my work schedule it will be later this week before I can get it scanned and posted.
Are you using Kline-Fogleman airfoils? My CoG is about two inches forward of the intersection of the tailing edge of the KF with the planes centerline.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Hrm, I never really messed with KF airfoils. I do have the top wing which ends abruptly right before the vertical fins, so I guess it might kinda be like one. On his plans the stacked wing goes all the way to the back and doesn't end like mine. I just didn't do it that way to use less foam and I already had the vertical stab's glued in. In looking at it, I guess its similar to a kf2. As for my CG, if you look at the pic I posted. That piece of newspaper with the guy on it. Well the far left edge of that piece of paper is about where it shows to put it on his plans. It needs to be more forward than that though at least with my specific plane. It wasn't porposing or anything but as soon as I launched the aileron's/ elevators were innefective. It wasn't a stalling issue as I launched it a 2nd time even faster and same thing. I would of moved batt forward but the motor mount popped off after that. The airframe flies awesome, slow or fast, which I really like. It's just got me frustrated and is starting to look like crap after the nose has met the ground 4-5 times now. Makes it worse that his nose design is a bit complicated. Like 6 pieces all coming together to make the front end. Is a pain to reglue.
Edit. Went for another flight today. Just stuck my bat at the nose and it flew great
Last edited by stingeragents; Oct 31, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:04 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Dultev's Sukhoi Delta PAK FA Sortie II.mov (7 min 2 sec)
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:34 AM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
923 Posts
Nice flying plane Bob. Great videos. Looking forward to the plans. I really would like to build this one.

Thanks
Russ
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:35 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ40 View Post
Nice flying plane Bob. Great videos. Looking forward to the plans. I really would like to build this one.

Thanks
Russ
Thank you.
I hoped to get the J-21Snow Owl and Delta PAK FA PDF plan's out this week but it's looking like next week as I start a four day run of twelve hour shifts tomorrow and I'm covered up with other stuff today.
My new Heli-max SQ-1 Quad copter is quite the time sponge too.