HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,835 Posts
True... My long range Wing cruises at 60mph and hits a max of 120mph, any problem or lag on that one is a big deal. That one I trust my RMRC700XVN with WDR and 127deg lens hard mounted with no pan tilt.

But on my little 15 mph drone, even a 1/2 sec lag (Way more than any video out) is nothing to deal with.

Maybe a case with integrated FPV cam and servos for bigger planes? The one I drew up is for a little 400g flying wing I have or any smaller plane.
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:42 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,706 Posts
Well I've settled on the pan servo ill be using, the Hitec HS-5085MG, I know it's a bit of a heffa at 22g, but its programmable to do 180 deg rotation, it's got lots of torque, a 3 pole motor, it won't jitter after 5 mins of use and it will reliably do 180 degrees with good resolution, some of the 180 deg servos I've had in the past have had such awful resolution, rotation speed and jitter that they were either unusable from the word go, or after a month of use they've just given up the ghost. These servos will be included with the pan & tilt mounts preprogrammed for 180 degree rotation. Normally I wouldn't bother but the crash proof pan & tilt I've designed has very specific tolerances for centring the pan servo shaft. It'll drive the cost up a bit (as the cheapest I can find those servos is 22) but I don't like buying cheap tat, and I certainly don't intend on selling it.

For delta and flying wing users, I'm almost done designing a replacement nose tilt only camera mount with crash protection struts ahead of the camera that will be as deep as your wing, imagine a rolling barrel, this will keep the camera safe, and keep your aerodynamics stellar. Nothing worse than going inverted with a pan and tilt mount to find that you need full down elevator to keep her level because your camera is causing so much drag. It will accept any standard 9g style servo and it'll be light and tough as anything . Stay tuned.

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:48 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
471 Posts
This is just what I have been wishing for with my mates! Really hope this eventuates...

Could you make to bottom of the "box" contoured to suit the bottom of the cam casing, so we dont need to strip down the already small camera, simply pop it in the new box and we can then hard mount that to the airframe. That same "box" could be incorporated into the p/t if reqr'd or use it as stand alone. For me, I want it for multirotors, so I don't want/need pan/tilt, just a box so I can hard mount it to insulate the vibrations easier.

I believe housing of the #16 is slightly different to the old #11, even the #18 is a different family again to the #16 (not sure if the housings are the same)
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,835 Posts
Awesome! cant wait to see the prototypes. Im designing a wing now so I could build this new Tilt into it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,835 Posts
The 11 and the 16 are the same, the 18 is thicker by 1-2mm
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Jun 2007
3,706 Posts
Haych, I can make the box to be any shape you can imagine, Nakelp86 has kindly offered to ship me one of his older unused keyfob cams for measuring and design. I'm not sure we're all on the same page here. I had imagined the P&T mount pictured at the start of this thread with a section on top of the camera housing to accommodate a keyfob cam. Some are after just a tilt with just the keyfob. And if your just after vibration elimination I can make a flat bottomed housing that holds the keychain camera between some cut down disposable in-ear defenders (quite good for vibration reduction). So vibe reduction is built in. But I can't see how this is different to just gluing some in-ear defenders onto your plane, then gluing the keychain cam to that. If I've got your idea all wrong please do a simple sketch and ill see what I can do.

CJ
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Jun 2007
3,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Awesome! cant wait to see the prototypes. Im designing a wing now so I could build this new Tilt into it!
What camera are you planning on using, I believe there's only two sizes of board cam, I can accommodate for both. The wing tilt mount would simply be driven off a 9g size servo of your choosing. Unless requested (a programmed Hitec servo) it will not come with a servo (and be all the cheaper).

CJ
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,835 Posts
I have the RMRC 700XVN. its in an aluminum housing 30x30mm.
I have another that is around 15x15mm but it doesnt have WDR and all the fancy stuff of my 700XVN I use that for "sunny day" Flying
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:35 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
here u go :-)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
here u go :-)
Nice!
Add a pan tilt option and you are set... (If you dont want the 808 as a flight cam, you could setup dual pan tilt so it looks where your primary flight cam looks... Helps with recording things)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:43 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
The 11 and the 16 are the same, the 18 is thicker by 1-2mm
rgr
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:51 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Well what if you dont want to use yr #16 on pan and tilt anymore??
then you FPV cam pan/tilt will be like an air brake ).
I would go for larger surface on top of P/T so you can just slap on the case for #16 ( u can use velcro or two sided tape) and this way the cam case can be more practical ( u can use it anywhere else on the plane, u can actually point it at P/T and see how it works LOL)
I think this way you kill two birds in one shot :-))

Oh #18 got some extra pizza??!! oh well, CJ could make the case 2mm higher to accommodate #18 you wont even notice extra "pounds"
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Jun 2007
3,706 Posts
Unless I have sneakily designed a snap on module that universally clips atop all of my P&T designs for different cameras, removable depending on your usage . And separately purchasable (and cheap) fixed hard points to snap your keychain cam onto that will pose little to no aerodynamic obstruction when not in use, and weigh about 5g each, so you can fix hard points where ever you fancy on the airframe, and fix the keychain cam on the airframe to your preference for that flight. And if the #18 is bigger then its a good idea that I designed a height adjustable keychain camera housing that will securely hold all versions of the camera including a 2mm height deviation.

Tomorrow I will upload sneak preview shots of my designs for some user input, obviously a work in progress as I don't have a keychain cam to model from, but I've done my best to rough it out.

CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Well what if you dont want to use yr #16 on pan and tilt anymore??
then you FPV cam pan/tilt will be like an air brake ).
I would go for larger surface on top of P/T so you can just slap on the case for #16 ( u can use velcro or two sided tape) and this way the cam case can be more practical ( u can use it anywhere else on the plane, u can actually point it at P/T and see how it works LOL)
I think this way you kill two birds in one shot :-))
Last edited by Carlos230023; Oct 12, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:04 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
LOL sneaky one LOL
whatever, I have 5 cams and only one p/t LOL so taking it off P/T and putting the cam on the wing nose tail or upside down would be the most useful.
Haha, Im not alone on this :

Report This Post to a Moderator #33
Haych

This is just what I have been wishing for with my mates! Really hope this eventuates...

Could you make to bottom of the "box" contoured to suit the bottom of the cam casing, so we dont need to strip down the already small camera, simply pop it in the new box and we can then hard mount that to the airframe. That same "box" could be incorporated into the p/t if reqr'd or use it as stand alone. For me, I want it for multirotors, so I don't want/need pan/tilt, just a box so I can hard mount it to insulate the vibrations easier.

I believe housing of the #16 is slightly different to the old #11, even the #18 is a different family again to the #16 (not sure if the housings are the same)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,835 Posts
Even better! Hard mounts would be great... even for non Plane stuff... Put it on a hat for ground recording!
RCG Plus Member