HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:32 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,538 Posts
wow, I set this thread up before I went to bed, wake up and theres 14 replies?! theres some really good ideas coming through. I hadn't considered doing a mount for the keychain cam, I guess the top of the board cam one could be used to house it. but the live video out (I'm assuming im still on the right track here) would allow for a very low profile P&T mount.

As promised heres but a few successful designs I have ready to print. First, some more pics of the P&T mount;

Name: IMG_2651.jpg
Views: 203
Size: 121.4 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2652.jpg
Views: 186
Size: 230.4 KB
Description:

Heres a quadcopter I fly FPV Quite a lot, its completely constructed of friction fit printed parts;

Name: P1030949.jpg
Views: 191
Size: 293.7 KB
Description: Name: P1030950.jpg
Views: 195
Size: 211.6 KB
Description:

This is my dragonlink Tx Module adapter, Currently available for the Hitec A9, Turnigy 9X, Im doing the standard Futaba module this weekend and the JR module the weekend after, So all radios will be catered for. Includes a slot to hold the PPM, power and ground cable from the DL Tx in the right place for the pins on the rear of the radio. I can also do V1 DL Tx and V2 is being polished off as we speak;

Name: IMG_2607.jpg
Views: 204
Size: 158.7 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2633.jpg
Views: 205
Size: 140.1 KB
Description:

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:53 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,091 Posts
I like the mount that comes with the DL for my 9C, but I plan to buy the new 9X, called the 9XR soon to be released. Unfortunately it has this big butt ugly plastic handle instead of the standard metal bar. Hack saw time! I will definitely need one of your DL holders then.
I think it would be nice to have it in two pieces with a friction hinge so it can be upright for use, and fold back to fit in my GS case. I do this now and it's nice to be able to adjust the antenna vertically for maximum range, especially when using the high gain long antenna.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350021197.495172.jpg
Views: 156
Size: 10.4 KB
Description:
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Last edited by iskess; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,538 Posts
Are all the lenses available for it of the same package size? What are people after with this (I put it to the public).
Do you;
1. Want the cam as is, but contained within a separate section to keep it safe.
2. Want the cam out of its case (with or without built in lipo) contained in a printed housing.
3. Want to be able to remove the lower half of the casing, to screw the top half (buttons and all) to a replica of the bottom half which is a P&T unit

And of course all of the above either with a separate FPV cam (housed in the same P&T unit, key fob cam on top) or just a P&T for the key fob cam. Crude napkin drawings are perfectly acceptable :P.

Food for thought.

CJ
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
the existing case sucks bottom not flat, so there is no reason to keep it :-).
With or without lipo really doesnt matter as the overall thickness with lipo have to be the same to clear original lens.
Need access for two top buttons , on the side for micro card and USB, reset button.
once the bottom is flat there is no reason to build it together with case for FPV cam you just simply glue it in if you need or put on sticky tape.
Yes, snap on or screw on bottom or top could be useful in some cases.
The main concern for me is attaching the MICRO lens.
As I stated before the sleeve diameter is large enough to accommodate new typ of lens they are shipping now.
So if you opt not to use "Macro" lens there is no harm done, you can use supplied one, and will have a sort of "sun shield). If you put macro on then it will need to be just pushed in snd secure with a dot of glue :-)
I have to dig out some more pictures if Im not clear here.
If you need sample cam I'll send you one with some option notes.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Disco gimbal
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
the existing case sucks bottom not flat, so there is no reason to keep it :-).
With or without lipo really doesnt matter as the overall thickness with lipo have to be the same to clear original lens.
Need access for two top buttons , on the side for micro card and USB, reset button.
once the bottom is flat there is no reason to build it together with case for FPV cam you just simply glue it in if you need or put on sticky tape.
Yes, snap on or screw on bottom or top could be useful in some cases.
The main concern for me is attaching the MICRO lens.
As I stated before the sleeve diameter is large enough to accommodate new typ of lens they are shipping now.
So if you opt not to use "Macro" lens there is no harm done, you can use supplied one, and will have a sort of "sun shield). If you put macro on then it will need to be just pushed in snd secure with a dot of glue :-)
I have to dig out some more pictures if Im not clear here.
If you need sample cam I'll send you one with some option notes.
Lol sure you wanna send one to the UK? ill see if I can buy one so I'm not that bothered about ripping it apart, some measurements on smaller items require destructive reverse engineering (cut it in half to measure it). The only reason I suggest keeping the top and printing a new bottom integrated into the print so as to keep the buttons etc...

CJ
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
LOL, no problem I have 3 old #6 and they are all the same up to I think #18 LOL, the new lense for HD they supply is the same as HK wing cam. I can send the one already open
with the case all I have to give you the lens (macro) sizes.
As I said integrating is no big deal if the bottom is flat and frees the case for multi use as putting the cam on the wing, tail or anywhere else.
The most important is getting the Macro lens as close to original lens as possible and centering it so you dont have any vignetting.
PM me the address I send it tomorrow am.
here are some more pix :-)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nakelp86; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,476 Posts
#3 sounds the best so far...

Keep it as low profile as possible. (I dont look up so level and down is all i would need, maybe only 5-10 deg up for trimming...)

Since the camera is so light, maybe even a tiny 5g servo for the tilt? they are only 5-6mm thick... Ill try to make a wood or plastic prototype soon...
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chanyote66; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
#3 sounds the best so far...

Keep it as low profile as possible. (I dont look up so level and down is all i would need, maybe only 5-10 deg up for trimming...)

Since the camera is so light, maybe even a tiny 5g servo for the tilt? they are only 5-6mm thick... Ill try to make a wood or plastic prototype soon...
You DO NOT want to use Keychain for yr FPV cam regardless video out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
You DO NOT want to use Keychain for yr FPV cam regardless video out.
Why?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:09 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
it has a lag as far as I know, but for more detail you need to look in the #16 thread.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
it has a lag as far as I know, but for more detail you need to look in the #16 thread.
Good to know. Thanks. I'll go there and check it out. Lag = bad for sure.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Just put it on the credit card
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2012
338 Posts
Hey CJ, I would really like a dragonlink Tx Module adapter for my Turnigy x9. How do go about getting one, how much do I pay etc?
JaeDubbya is offline Find More Posts by JaeDubbya
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,476 Posts
I fly fine from the #16 out... Yes it does not have WDR but with the latest firmware it is much better to configure. The lag is much less than the GoPro so, If people use the gopro so much, why not use the 808?
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:46 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
Choices are many, I like to slap it on top of dedicated FPV cam.
I dont remember exact thread but I read that there are more issues with video out on these cams.
Well, its just me but with $500 + encased in foam I like to use something which is proven for years.
RCG Plus Member