HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:58 PM
United States, AL, Theodore
Joined Mar 2005
299 Posts
I dropped over here to see if there were any Dragonlink modules made up for JR Tx's as I thought it would be nice to have an enclosed case that snaps into the back. For the price of a 9XR though I may just pick one of them up if there is going to be a module made. Quick question though... what is the "feel" of the Turnigy radios? I don't want something that feels cheesy for a transmitter. I like a little weight to it and a feeling of good build quality. Anyone held the 9XR yet?

Cheers,

Paul
ppridday is offline Find More Posts by ppridday
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:27 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
It looks like the 9XR has spots on the back where a metal handle could be attached...if you have an old radio with a handle it can 'donate'. Of course, the plug in Carlos module is neat.
Yes, I just noticed there are two little screw holes on the back with threaded metal behind the plastic case. I'm not sure what this is for, could it be for a metal bar? Would one fit? I'll take some measurements and photos.
Still looking forward to Carlos's design photos. Although I wish they were a hinged design so I can adjust the angle of the antenna and fold flat for storage.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:45 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,234 Posts
Carlos, I just bought another Sony 600TVL and need a case to protect it. It's the most popular FPV camera in the world! Can you fire up your printer?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:00 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,661 Posts
Right, quick update. Things are moving faster and slower. The issue is, it's snowing here, and its really snowing :P. being a heating engineer in the snow = mega busy at work. Thursday and Friday I set off for work at 6AM and didn't get back till between 10-11PM. On the plus side, I now have a much faster computer to hash out these designs. I was using my fantastic little MacBook Air. But when you get above 300,000 vertices it can slow down a little. So now I've got myself a top spec 27" iMac . Also a recent firmware update for the UP! Plus printer means faster print times, stronger infill-wall joins and I can print down to 150 microns. My super universal crash resistant P&T is almost done, able to accommodate just about any size board and metal cased cam on the market. It's taken a fair bit of investment (as I've had to buy one of each, plus a mega range of servos to make sure they are all compatible as well.

The new 9XR radio has a slightly different sized slot compared to the 9X, the pins are placed differently, and the pitch of the pins has changed. So adjustments are being made, as well as a floating hinge, that can have an adjustable angle, height and module depth settings.

Bare with me guys, I'm fighting the weather, I've got two young kids and the Missus to keep happy. Not to mention orders for the DOSD cases are going up. Once I've finished all this stuff I may have to consider getting a second UP! Plus printer :P. Oh yeah, and the keychain cam cases need a bit of smoothing, some internal geometry removal and a few test prints, then were ready to rock and roll!

Thanks for your patience guys. I know I've promised a lot, and I do plan to deliver!

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:39 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos230023 View Post
oh yeah, and the keychain cam cases need a bit of smoothing, some internal geometry removal and a few test prints, then were ready to rock and roll!

Thanks for your patience guys. I know i've promised a lot, and i do plan to deliver!
Cj
hmmm :-)))
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:50 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,661 Posts
lol, dont worry nakelp86. you've got first dibbs .

CJ
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:30 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,234 Posts
Humble project status update request.
Last edited by iskess; Feb 03, 2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:41 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
I'd be interested in a flight camera and Gopro pan/tilt type mount once you get them done.
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Jun 2007
3,661 Posts
Status update is looking good. Finally cleared the New Years backlog of work so no more leaving at half 5 in the morning and getting home at 11pm :P. I still leave at half 5 but I get back at a reasonable time. The daughter is starting to sleep through the night better so I'm getting more than 4 hours sleep.

Right, that's the personal update done. Now for 3D design.

Finally had a chance to setup my super swanky top spec iMac. Designing speed has been greatly increased! The keychain cam mount has been done for a few weeks. Just waiting for my 'D' lens to show up for measurements (not just its physical size, but focal length and the best angle in relation to the cam unit). Once that is done everyone will be througherly pleased (I hope). The super universal camera mount now fits any standard 9g sized servo package. Features a mount position for the large board cams (I.e. WDR 600) the smaller board cams (bogo standard hobbyking cam) and the 3g board cams. As well as the mid sized cased cam and the Kx-171 style cased cam. All in the one mount! It won't take a super starlight cam but there's a seperate adapter for that.

The pan servo is no longer on the axis of rotation. That's a 3mm threaded bolt as the rotation spindle (to take stress off the servo). Looking at the drive train for it (geared, belt driven or pushrods). The impact tray tolerances have also been tightened up a little, so in the case of a crash there's alot of supporting material to ensure no mount or camera damage occurs.

Tilt servo is pushrod driven but also looking at options for geared to reduce slop, ill probably end up with ball joins though, zero slop in thoes.

There will also be a redux version for thoes looking to save weight and space at the sacrifice of strength (it may well be that the mount is in a fairly well protected place already). The camera enclosure won't change though so your cam won't get crushed.

Lots of things coming nicely. And I've also now got free print time to do the last few prototypes (that are now, instead of being dropped to see if they stay together, are having weights dropped on them :P).

The gopro mount has stalled for a short while as I'm looking at getting a few bits CNC'd out (in combination with my printed ABS) as the mount is bigger to fit the gopro and flight cam. Outsourcing that as is but am looking to do it in house when I've picked the machine for me .

CJ
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:07 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Hope you make it by spring :-))
Oh did not say what year LOL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:10 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,234 Posts
I was really looking forward to that 808 #16 camera housing.
I've been holding out.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:18 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
I lost all hopes :-(

.............and the old camera :-( not that its important , but great disappointment is ..........
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nakelp86; Mar 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:47 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
I was really looking forward to that 808 #16 camera housing.
I've been holding out.
Iv started building my own CNC to mill my cases. but it will probably take a while. My main goal is to build a dual 808#16 case with an IPD of 68mm Im going to work on a 3d fpv setup for my Tricopter...

Id still love to see the cases he is building... My DOSD case is awesome!
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What does the FAA think of FPV?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Jun 2007
3,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
I lost all hopes :-(

.............and the old camera :-( not that its important , but great disappointment is ..........
Hey dude. I've got your cam measured up. If you'd like it back ill post it to you. I suppose apologies are a little hollow now. Again family and work life have taken over as the cold snap in the UK doesn't want to give up. The DOSD case sales are keeping my printer occupied and any other snippets of time I get are spent perfecting the P&T systems as Dragonlabs.EU are keen to stock them. All I can say is the keychain case is on the cards. The hard point locking system has been perfected. It's just finding the time to finish up my mesh work and polishing the shell.

CJ
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:10 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,198 Posts
Hey CJ will the holders for the #16 work with the camera upside down without pressing its buttons?

PS where's me DL/9x holder !? :-)
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash