HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RHTizzy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Build Log
Flashing ESC's with SimonK

I tried to flash my ESC's after getting pre flashed ones from RCTimer but ran into a problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy View Post
Hi guys,

Just recently I bought a few pre-flashed 30A ESC's from RCTimer and the difference was so noticable I thought I'd flash my other ESC's too. I've flashed a bunch of other stuff using a CRIUS USBASP and thought I had the pinouts clear so I made a new cable for doing the ESC's. But I can't get it working.

As soon as I touch the pins to the ESC the USBASP quits and cannot be found by avrdude anymore. The status light on the asp blinks when I touch the pins to the ESC but it doesnt talk to the USB port anymore. Unplugging the ASP and then pluggin it back in will reset it again, but that's as far as I can get.

Have I got something backward? All input is welcome, thanks people.

Cheers,
Rick

In the first pic I test the USBASP without touching the ESC to see if the driver is recognised. After that I touch the pins to the ESC and the ASP cannot be found anymore. I made the extra connector after the problem arose so I could easily swap the connections but everything seems to match up to spec and it still freezes the ASP.

Simonk replied the following, which was right on the money!
Quote:
You are probably trying to flash an unpowered ESC. Depending on how sensitive your USB port is, and the ESR/size of the capacitor(s) on the ESC, it might just draw too much current when you first touch it, and bounce the USB port. If you power the ESC from a current-limited supply first, you should no longer see this.
I hooked up an 1800mAh 20C lipo to the ESC and retried: Success!
Noticeable result: immediate throttle response as opposed to the spungy feeling. There are said to be other benefits but this was immediately noticable.
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Last edited by RHTizzy; Jan 16, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts