HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
Landing lights-ON!

I locked MYSELF into the shop this morning...On purpose.....The landing lights needed to be sorted out,and what we had was too small....Little dinky things that looked out of place in all that acreage..
.So it was off to the 'dollar store' agin,for some manly lights.
I had an old window channel that I cut a section out of,using it for a base for the lights to mount on.
They aren't scale,but they're nice looking.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Dec 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, WI, Delavan
Joined Aug 2012
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Someone asked about the interior quality,and I blasted it.I still feel that way,so rather that cry into my beer,I did something about it.
The plastic interior does serve as great patterns for replacement parts made of1/32 A/C ply.
Gene bought that faux leather,and we began installing an interior.
We aren't trying to duplicate a scale interior, just something nice inside.
I have a sore throat,so I'm just gonna post some shots.It ain't done, but this is where we are.
Nice job on the interior and lights, I also bought the interior and looking at it realized it just won't cut it. I am looking to redo mine as well.

I also was on the fence on the powertrain but being that I had the ESC and the batteries already I went with the 110. Maybe after flying I will upgrade to something else but wanted to start with the recommended gear. Hopefully i will be starting some assembly this weekend. We are supposed to get a bunch of snow so looks like I will be in the shop!!
jseese is offline Find More Posts by jseese
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
Arf Hater

I'm presenting my final impression on the Super Cub.
I don't think it's worth the price,but then too many things are overpriced anyway.
As an example, Gene wouldn't buy it,except he won $300. from a scratch-off.So that put HIS value at $350.Hangar 9 decided right away,it wasn't worth $995,and cut the price by nearly 33%!!!
It would be a much nicer model,fabric covered.To go this far into scale,and plasticize it is just wrong.
They could do a much better job on the landing lights.The navigation lights are spot on,scale or not....Two tiny bulbs in that gaping hole is lazy or non-existent engineering,as far as the landing lights go.....The man who designed the LL cover however,was on the ball.
Any effort to install the optional interior would be better served by another coat of paint,or a gallon of fuel.
The Pilot is too tall,with his head hidden by the wing tube....we had to crush the wires inside him,to shorten his torso to an acceptable height.
Rubber bands on the landing gear are exposed to oily exhaust which will get trapped inside the bungee covers...-which incidentally,have a seal on the bottom end to prevent accumulated oil from draining!
The side door,magnetically held closed,also has a magnet to hold the upper half open,for flying,or cabin access.
AT last,everything electrical is inside the cabin...no outside jacks for charging or switches.
The cowl is a work of art.-top notch,as are the wheels..This is the first set of wheels that run true,in a model,that I've seen.
I've given you my honest opinion,and others will have theirs....
I am biased against ARFs,but this is as fair as I can be.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
Earl, I've built some nice kits through the years..........and still fly some that I built 20 years ago..........the Goldberg Extra 300 is one of my favorites that still flies.
I know what it costs to buy the kit, cover it, put the cowl and wheel pants together, glass the inside, paint the outside, do the inside of the cockpit, maybe a little tint on the canopy, apply some graphics and striping, buy the hardware to finish it off and then stand back and admire the work. Probably better quality than an ARF and very satisfying. And, when you set down and figure what you had to spend for everything it took to finish the airframe.........it wasn't cheap!
Is the H9 PA-18 worth it? Well, If I bought a BUSA 1/4 scale cub, covering, hardware, Robart landing gear, Dubro cub wheels, decent tail wheel, a pilot, some scale guages, a fuel tank, new glue and then set aside a month or two to put it all together.................I'm sure I forgot some stuff I had to buy along the way..............I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it for less than $650...........
That's how I justify paying that much for an ARF..........I passed on the World Models Pawnee at $650 cause I didn't think it was very well done............this one I think is well done for the most part. And, I don't think I could put one together from a kit for the price I paid for this one.
I hate some ARF's.................not this one............and I decided if I was gonna own a 1/4 scale Super Cub, this one was probably the cheapest route to go.

You're doing a nice job on Gene's and providing us with some good ideas along the way............Thanks Earl...........
roknhs is offline Find More Posts by roknhs
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
I need you to consider one point though,-a lot of people would expend their bank account's discretionary funds on the H-9 Arf at one time...

Kits can be funded on a more comfortable basis, smaller payments at a time.,Buying supplies as needed.

I agree that the total cost is approximately the same,but my consideration is based more on the joy of constructing my own aircraft......The contradictions in the ARFs,is that one item is of the highest quality,while another one is less quality than the base level expected.

Each part that goes into one of my builds is built to a high standard.(my level of quality).-Not top of the line by any measure,just to the best of my ability....ARF suppliers offer glowing reports of options,drawing inexperienced buyers in,only to be disappointed with hands-on experience.

For example; the aileron/flap covers melt or soften at a MUCH lower heat level than the Ultracote covering does...One guy,attempting to remove wrinkles from the covering,aimed the heat gun the wrong way,and disseminated the flap cover.

SOMEONE needs to say this !

I'm not being argumentative,but I believe that by the time an ARF gets to the quality of an experienced builder's efforts,kit building will be a much more attractive option.

I said at the beginning,I'm an ARF hater....but what I said is FAIR!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
You could do the same thing with Lay buy Earle.......
Big Nuts 181 is online now Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181 View Post
You could do the same thing with Lay buy Earle.......
Do you mean 'layaway'?...That is a consideration,although I think the only Dealer that does it is Tower Hobbies...and I don't think they sell it....

-Look - I don't want to get into politics here.....someone asked if I thought it was worth the money-I don't......But if you need to be the first to own one,it may be worth it,to you.

This is my opinion,and I have to call it as I see it.
Gene took the airplane,so I'm done here anyway....But it does look and fly nice.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:48 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,238 Posts
agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknhs View Post
Earl, I've built some nice kits through the years..........and still fly some that I built 20 years ago..........the Goldberg Extra 300 is one of my favorites that still flies.
I know what it costs to buy the kit, cover it, put the cowl and wheel pants together, glass the inside, paint the outside, do the inside of the cockpit, maybe a little tint on the canopy, apply some graphics and striping, buy the hardware to finish it off and then stand back and admire the work. Probably better quality than an ARF and very satisfying. And, when you set down and figure what you had to spend for everything it took to finish the airframe.........it wasn't cheap!
Is the H9 PA-18 worth it? Well, If I bought a BUSA 1/4 scale cub, covering, hardware, Robart landing gear, Dubro cub wheels, decent tail wheel, a pilot, some scale guages, a fuel tank, new glue and then set aside a month or two to put it all together.................I'm sure I forgot some stuff I had to buy along the way..............I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it for less than $650...........
That's how I justify paying that much for an ARF..........I passed on the World Models Pawnee at $650 cause I didn't think it was very well done............this one I think is well done for the most part. And, I don't think I could put one together from a kit for the price I paid for this one.
I hate some ARF's.................not this one............and I decided if I was gonna own a 1/4 scale Super Cub, this one was probably the cheapest route to go.

You're doing a nice job on Gene's and providing us with some good ideas along the way............Thanks Earl...........
with your comments here. I say thank good-ness for ARF'S. For me it has allowed our hobby to grow and keep many elderly flying as well as bringing a multitude of new blood in. Like it or not there are just very few quality airplane model craftsmen around these days. I myself still do a nice mix which suits my style but so many others just hate to work the airframe. Now ain't this just a wonderfull hobby. Back on point I think this model is yes expensive but overall it is a great ARF that I would spend for SURE over double this on a full kit or scrach job. Plus why do we build, assemble these? To fly and this one flies with the best. Lastly on this here is an interesting analogy. Shall we continue to power our T.V's with vacum tubes or or should we try these new gadgets called transistors ? SO please assemble, build, and most importantly fly your way into a very merry christmas. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Last edited by menksters; Dec 21, 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:13 PM
Glider Guider
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,711 Posts
Nice lights, by the way, Earl. They look much more realistic.
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:58 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,238 Posts
Float fly

Is on for tomorrow. Light winds, temps mid-60's. So Master Earl now I am carrying another 3.5 lbs. For me this is a big detriment because I believe lighter is better for cubbie's. At this pond there will be for of us flying seaplanes and float planes. Probably 14 different airplanes. For me this will be the largest float plane I have flown although I have a group of 40 size and smaller one's. The four some also all have these fast electric offshore boats. Thought this would bore me quite quick but with four of these things racing we have had a handful of fun. Speeds 40-50 mph and they cast these huge rooster tails 25-30 feet long. I enjoyed reading your summary of this PA-18. Assuming all goes well tomorrow I will have flown my airframe stand alone, towed 3 gliders up, with the largest spanning 4.5 meters and hopefully will be able to report success with the floats. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
How about a couple pictures and a short seminar on how you installed your sailplane release in the Super Cub??? I would be quite interested in that..........
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
Donnie-if you have pix,my finger is poised...........

I'll bet you don't mind the weight of the floats one bit...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknhs View Post
How about a couple pictures and a short seminar on how you installed your sailplane release in the Super Cub??? I would be quite interested in that..........
Very very easily. the way I do i is to make a ply doubler from 1/8 ply at the trailing edge of the wing with 1/4" x 1/2" ply to take a bent over split pin and on the other side of the doubler a piano wire inside a brass tube. I like to mount the servo at the bottom of the fuse with a Z bend and an access hatch cut into the bottom of the fuse. Looks nice and neat and works flawlessly not to mention cheap!
Big Nuts 181 is online now Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
Easy for you maybe............without a picture, I have no idea what you've done. If I was good at 3D visualization I would have been an architect instead of an executioner.
This cub has a latch for the removeable cabin top at the trailing edge of the wing. Behind that, a center spine that goes all the way to the tail. Of course, there is no flat area on the turtle deck area aft of the wing.
I don't think it will be "very, very easy"..........not if the end product is supposed to look good.
Hence, my interest in Menkster's solution to the problem. I've installed tow releases in a Giant Stinger, a Taxi 2400 and a Senior Telemaster. All had their own challenges but, none had a center spine in combination with no flat area in the turtle deck area.
I would be interested in seeing a picture of your design............detailed explanations are wasted on a simple mind.............you know the old wisdom, " a picture is worth a thousand words "
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:53 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
1,029 Posts
http://web.archive.org/web/200801132....com/asher.htm

This might help. http://www.iflytailies.com/store/tow-releases/
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
Last edited by mewert; Dec 22, 2012 at 03:11 PM.