HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:04 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,618 Posts
We didn't make it today...My starter won't cut it,on the Saito 1.50. So I called Gene to bring his Heavy Duty starter...He slipped on his garage steps and hurt his rib area.
Trooper that he is,he delivered,and his batteries were low.-Turned it a bit,but by the time fuel got there,it was a no-go.
This is where the electricians get to say-"we don't have any trouble starting ours"!.....Go ahead-I'm waiting!.........."-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------" Feel better?lol....
By this time,I'm too tired to care,and I'm concerned about Gene,so we shelved it for today,put every last battery on charge,and settled in for the night.

Gene wasn't satisfied with the interior,so he went to a fabric store,and bought some dark blue faux leather.Weighs about as much as koverall per yard.
We're about to class up the cabin on this baby.I'm doing the interior,but he don't get it 'til I see a 'tee' shirt on that pilot.!-Push ME around!

Sorry we didn't fly today,but maybe it was best we didn't.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
Earl,
You said you installed the optional lite kit. What did you think of it? Is it worth the $80 or $90 bucks they want for it?
roknhs is offline Find More Posts by roknhs
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,618 Posts
Here's the thing-I'm a contract builder....I can't get into the politics of whether something is worth what the buyer wants to pay for it.(Gene's reading this).

But,not knowing what it cost,I'd say the light kit is a good investment..We're going more scale each time we build,and the plane was well received at the Christmas party.The lights are 'unusual' enough to grab attention at the field and various shows.They add another dimension.
I don't believe many folks are happy with the landing lights,as delivered.Two miniscule bulbs in an acre of blue expanse just don't cut it...But a couple of "Dollar Store" lights yielded a pair of reflectors that gave better scale appearance.However-the navigation lights are as they SHOULD be!.Well made bezels,well fitted,and if not exact scale,still notable.The rudder light is a real gem...All this is operated off the receiver,and you can't accidentally leave them on.Any extra radio channel controls them (on and off)and receiver off kills them too.
There's a controller that just plugs into that channel,and you're good to go..They're LEDs so the flight pack won't know they're there.
Yuh hafta' understand-I'm an ARF hater,so if I give it a thumbs up,it's pretty good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Sorry

to hear about the injury of your client. All good things come in time. My partner brought by the Hanger 9 1/4 scale floats. Huge box and big floats inside. Glass work is very nicley done. Will work on them after Chistmas. Wanted to ask a favor. I have some nice photos of mine in my E-mail file but simply can't figure out how to post them to this thread. If I were to forward them to you could you post them for me? Hang in there and regards to Gene. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Last edited by menksters; Dec 16, 2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
lites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknhs View Post
Earl,
You said you installed the optional lite kit. What did you think of it? Is it worth the $80 or $90 bucks they want for it?
I also installed them and think they are super on this model. I only bought the controler and lights. Made my own wiring harness using max fine servo wire with control lead striped off.This allowed me to insure all lengths were correct plus saved a few bucks on system although to build the entire harness system it took about and hour and half. Wouldn't be without them on this model. donnie
Last edited by menksters; Dec 16, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:39 AM
Crazy Pilot-gone insane...
United States, CT, Norwalk
Joined Nov 2009
120 Posts
Power system -

Hi All!

I have not started my build yet, since my LHS is taking forever to return my Spektrum A6030's (I brought them to the LHS on November 6th, and the servos have not come back). I crashed the servos in another plane, and while the servos looked fine I wanted a trained professional to look at them and put their approval on them - I was willing to pay for it.

I choose the Hacker A60-5s -
https://www.aero-model.com/8_72_1127...0-5S%20V2.html

This has the same KV as the Eflite power 110, but should be much more efficient - I also like the fact that if I need more power (more like want ) I can drop 10s in without a prop change and still be within what would be acceptable limits for power, with throttle control of course (what's that???),

I also opted for the Light Kit, and like others on the forum I am using different wire, but I found some wire at Radio Shack that actually will work very well - for 8 dollars I get a 50 foot roll which should wire the whole plane over 2 times!

I am using an ICE HV2 120 and a Castle BEC Pro for my electronics.

VERY excited!

Does anyone have before and after shots particularly of the interior kit? I am interested to see how much a difference it will make, and if it complicates an electric install. Thanks!

Best,

Chris
harttvboy is offline Find More Posts by harttvboy
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,618 Posts
We finally got our ducks in a row,and there are two very happy old men today.

We had an interesting chat on the way back home,to get the wing tube so we could fly.Ha hA..
We've been to the field TWICE today.
As is our norm,we set the throttle to 4,000 max rpms and gave it a go....At about 1/8 throttle the tail was coming up,and about 3,500 r's she was off and flying!,something she loves to do.
The airplane flys "light",.......lighter than I like,but we'll add a couple of details,and a little weight.
We don't use aileron/rudder mixing,preferring to fly with our thumbs....She wants a bit of rudder with aileron,and like the full scale Super Cub,you should initiate rudder first. Aileron -only turns are sloppy,and you can see that....
The Saito 1.50 4 stroke is a good match for our style of flying,(which is slow cruising),but we can keep the tailwheel on the ground with full flap/full power take offs.
This day was worth the wait.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,618 Posts
I have earned the right to speak my mind on the 'interior' kit.
Piece of crap. Spoken like a true "ARF hater"...Very little changes inside the aircraft when it is installed ,save the baggage compartment area.
The rest of the interior is covered with plastic,cut to the same shape as the original interior,which is then glued into place.
The plastic is brittle,and can crack when you tighten a screw,even...Nothing is marked,and you can spend an afternoon organizing the puzzle before you get to install it.
The brittleness displays itself when you attempt to install the curved "upholstery" over the baggage compartment,just behind the rear windows.It needs to be 'worked' into place,and pieces snap off,before you realize it.
Use the money to buy fuel-you'll get your fun flying this airplane,not looking at a high gloss plastic wall set.The FLOOR BOARDS are plastic for Pete's sake..
They must have found a LOT of bad plastic somewhere.....so there!

The aforementioned testimonial has nothing to do with my hating ARFs....the interior earned that right itself.

Before and after pix coming when we make a real interior.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
994 Posts
Looks very nice, Earl. Congrats on the succesful maiden flight.
mewert is online now Find More Posts by mewert
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,618 Posts
Our apologies for no flight pictures-We aren't qualified or tooled to take good pix.
Our club photographer wasn't at the field,or he would have posted some.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Yes Sire,

Bob ! Glad you got her airborne today. Looks like it was play misty or a tad foggy . I feel the excitment sparks from here. Regarding the interior cheapo plastic I didn't buy it because my batteries wouldn't allow a fit. I did buy one once for my 1/4 scale Top-Flight Stinson { a huge kit build} and it was the same sort of deal. Sent you a P.M. with my photo's. Thanks for the help. donnie
Last edited by menksters; Dec 16, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,618 Posts
menksters pixturs

These pix are of menkster's Super Cub,Hangar 9 1/4 scale.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Thanks Master Earl

for helping me display my model on the thread. Your client list is growing. The dull-cote finish eliminates the plastic look and the pinking tape is solortex and makes a real nice scale offset on the ribs. My flying friend insisted that I quit cutting ribs on the elipstick and get crackin on the floats. They are nicely done with scale rivet work, floats themself are painted silver, 2 large stainless steel rudders, rubber billows boots, and great supporting struts painted white. They state the the added weight is about 3lbs. $ 279 american so now we have an airframe alone for right at $1000. But for sure it is that sweetest 1/4 scale PA-18ARF I know of. I still have a Dave Patrick done in orange and white but this Hanger 9 cubbie flys noticeably better using the same drive system.
Last edited by menksters; Dec 16, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Floats

Finished assembly of hanger 9's float set. Around 20 hrs. to assemble them. All hardware is stainless steel so little rust. Stainless rudders are on a spring loaded piviot point so debris in water shouldn't damage them. Pond we fly out of has quite a few big turtles in it. Think a few more flights with land gear then I will try them. Regards, donnie
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,618 Posts
ARF Hater

Someone asked about the interior quality,and I blasted it.I still feel that way,so rather that cry into my beer,I did something about it.
The plastic interior does serve as great patterns for replacement parts made of1/32 A/C ply.
Gene bought that faux leather,and we began installing an interior.
We aren't trying to duplicate a scale interior, just something nice inside.
I have a sore throat,so I'm just gonna post some shots.It ain't done, but this is where we are.
RCG Plus Member