HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Rtf

Just finished mine up. Everything is w.a.d. I am getting right at 2700 watts from power combo. AUW=17.5 lbs So I have about150 watts per pound and this should make it a live wire. Should provide unlimited vertical and crisp acrobatic performance. One of the graphics I placed on her says Flying lessons $25 plus repairs. Hope everyone enjoys theirs. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Last edited by menksters; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, WI, Delavan
Joined Aug 2012
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by menksters View Post
Just finished mine up. Everything is w.a.d. I am getting right at 2700 watts from power combo. AUW=17.5 lbs So I have about150 watts per pound and this should make it a live wire. Should provide unlimited vertical and crisp acrobatic performane. One of the graphics I placeed on her says Flying lessons $25 plus repairs. Hope everyone enjoys theirs. donnie
Any pics of the decals

Also what power combo did you use (batt, motor, ESC, prop) are you using, did it the extra weight require and extra work to get the COG right?
jseese is offline Find More Posts by jseese
Last edited by jseese; Dec 12, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
She flies

Took her out for a spin today. Great story on her brief maiden. I had done all my servo set up on a 5s pack. Had mounted both batteries down to the tray before I left for the field. When we preflighted her I simply pluged in one of the batteries set her off the table and taxied out to the fabric runway. Droped flaps a bit and advanced throttle. After about 10 ft I opened up the thottle to rotate and it lifted off but right away I realized I had very little power. I immediatly know I had been beat with the dumb club as I only had one of the packs connected. Was able to maintain about a 15 degree climb out. Very scale like. Got up 50 or so feet, raised flaps and made a nice flat turn to enter downwind leg. Turn,base, final and made a nice 3 point landing. After changing my pants my flying friends and I had a great laugh. So yes with my drive system it will fly on 5s very much like a 120HP J-3. Great maiden!! Dug my series connector out and armed again and now it meet my expectations. Had timer set on 8 min. so for the first 4 I flew her like a wild child. Has unlimited vertical,, will knife edge loop, violent snaps, and even hang on the prop. Next 4 min. flew her in a scale manner and admired low and slo passes, feather light touch and go's. Looks great and flies even better.Uses about 500 ma amps a minute.Got some good photos I will post shortly. Flying friend took them as I am probably one of the few left on planet earth without a cell phone. I am confident every owner of this airframe will really enjoy it. Now to you Master Earl make sure both lungs are firing before liftoff.... regards to all, donnie
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, WI, Delavan
Joined Aug 2012
148 Posts
Sounds like you have tons of power! Great story on the maiden flight and glad to hear it worked out okay. So I wonder if the recommended 8s and the 110 will be a decent setup power wise?
jseese is offline Find More Posts by jseese
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:36 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,823 Posts
OH ! the pressure !
Bearing in mind that I'm an old man,and I hate ARFs,I'm doing okay...The weather is supposed to be decent this weekend,so Sat or Sun we should fly.
I drilled and installed through bolts and 'tee' nuts for the cowl mountings.Glow has habitually rattled the screws loose,so bolts were in order.
I painted the firewall,after the muffler cutout modification,and I have to say it looks nice in there.Multi colored fuel system lines add a little to it also.
I fell asleep on the floor last night,(they won't let me out 'til it's done),and found the screw I dropped,about 2 this morning.
The tailwheel springs are next,then it's the landing lights.
I'll let you know how we're doing after lunch,(if they feed me).
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
MAN review

Says with recommended set up it will loop if put in a slight dive. I am sure that the 110 8s system will fly this model well and I am not power crazed but do expect my 1/4 scale models to at least loop from level flight. E-flite specs state motor is good for airplanes up to 15 lbs. Mine wieghs 17.5 / 18 lbs depending on battery. Take away about a pound for the 10s pack and you will still be at upper limit of this motor and working it much harder then I do with the 160 . Again though I am sure the 110 set up will povide you very scale like performance. For me though I achive same using thottle. Also half the time with this model I am flying at 8K feet altitude. donnie
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
OH ! the pressure !
Bearing in mind that I'm an old man,and I hate ARFs,I'm doing okay...The weather is supposed to be decent this weekend,so Sat or Sun we should fly.
I drilled and installed through bolts and 'tee' nuts for the cowl mountings.Glow has habitually rattled the screws loose,so bolts were in order.
I painted the firewall,after the muffler cutout modification,and I have to say it looks nice in there.Multi colored fuel system lines add a little to it also.
I fell asleep on the floor last night,(they won't let me out 'til it's done),and found the screw I dropped,about 2 this morning.
The tailwheel springs are next,then it's the landing lights.
I'll let you know how we're doing after lunch,(if they feed me).
They didn't insert a glucose I.V. in you as feeding consumes precious time!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,823 Posts
Gene came out,this morning...I couldn't get the receiver to work ...He showed me how to plug the battery in,and it's all good.! Elevator servos,rudder and throttle are perfectly adjusted.
I installed all the glass work with RC-56,and laid it on there..The third windscreen didn't break,when I just looked at it,like the other two did.
Some little piddling things to do after dinner,and maybe fly tomorrow.
Gene bought an on board glow system that works off throttle position..A red light in the instrument panel indicates 'on'.The glow works at part throttle,and shuts off with the receiver.
I'm getting psyched now-I like maiden flights,and we're close.
It's a beautiful airplane,no doubt.
Has anyone inter- connected flaps and elevator,for a starting point? I have a lot of down in my Early H-9 Cub,slaved to flaps.
It's 9:23 PM in MD,and they forgot to lock me in....I'm done for today.....It's looking good for tomorrow........I just became friends with a stupid ARF !
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Dec 14, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Flap-Elevator mix

On mine, great friend of ARF'S I started with to much. Found the sweet spot on mine is 6%. For you this my be + - a bit depending on your C.G. 6% seems perfect with C.G. at the 4 3/4 mark. Enjoy the drive. Last night I mounted a nice euro made glider tow pin with line release mechanism controlled by a small HS-55 servo. One of my flying partners bought a set of Hanger 9 flotes for his cub and has not even opened the box yet so I hope to borrow them and do some float flying with her. We have a great pond close that we race FE boats on as well as float fly a bunch as I have found this very enjoyable. donnie
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,823 Posts
Thanks, Donnie....
Gene made noises yesterday of adding floats to his...Not so much as to fly off water,as to feel the 'presense' of them while flying about.
There's a full scale Cessna 180 that overflys the area once in a while...It sure looks great.! It's an amphibian,and attends an Airshow here and there.
Good stuff !
Off to the hobby shop for some brass tubing-I lost a crimper for the tailwheel cable.Need a servo arm Gene thinks he has.
Trying to organise the wiring,and all my extensions are too long or short.
Attempting to fly today ,if it's safe to do so.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2002
34 Posts
Quote:
No -I was quite surprised when all the hardware was there in the exact amounts...
Would have been nice to have a couple extra wing strut pins though.Gene and I were shivering out side Sunday and one of the lynch pins went flying into the grass to be forever lost...then I lost the pin itself...

Folding wing struts are a good idea,but it's almost as much trouble protecting the wing from them folded,as it is to remove them...We're thinking about getting more pins and just storing the struts separately...

Those are the roundest wheels in any kit I have ever seen !

Earl-ARF hater.
I also lost a pin in the grass and would like to get replacements. No luck in searching the Horizon Hobby web site. Does anyone know where they can be obtained?

Regards,
MDR
mdrossno1 is offline Find More Posts by mdrossno1
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,823 Posts
We're checking with the LHS,which can find everything....In the interim,I replaced the pins at the wing attachment with bolts.(jury struts) We don't need to fold the struts,with a van as transport.

I'm not convinced the pins are BETTER,only different......but I've lost nuts off bolts, as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
We're checking with the LHS,which can find everything....In the interim,I replaced the pins at the wing attachment with bolts.(jury struts) We don't need to fold the struts,with a van as transport.

I'm not convinced the pins are BETTER,only different......but I've lost nuts off bolts, as well.
The part number is HAN4563 (use on the 1/4 scale Cub and the 1/4 Taylorcraft) and here is a link to the HH webpage http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

If you find these available from other sources please let me know - such as McMaster Carr, etc. I believe their proper terminology is 'hitch pin & link' or something like that. I like them mucho (credit for second language) better than bolts. I have done both.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Pin ups

I bought six extras from horizon when I built their 40 size Pawnee. Here is what has worked out great for me. Remove and add pins using hemostats and viola it becomes a simple task. Also Mr. Convert Earl for the first 3 flights I found that 30% rudder/aileron mix seems just right. Have since removed the electronic mix and stick fly her. You will find the airframe makes great flat turns as well as slips with a bit of cross control. Rudder very powerfull and precise. Raining on me today so I am building a big Tom Hunt elipstick that I upscaled from 50" to 100". All of Hunts stuff I have built fly's great and the elipstick is my favorite. Hope not to hear from you Earl till late tonight after you'all have flown her. donnie
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
p-hotos

try to post a few pic's Failed
Last edited by menksters; Dec 16, 2012 at 05:42 AM.