HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Nov 2010
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celltech View Post
Does some one have a disscount code to bring the price down a bit?
Red Rocket is a HH distributor. They have an 8% code for the weekend.
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....D4cIAn29AdM%3D
They don't have the Super Cub listed, but if you email them I'm sure they'll be glad to get one for you.
OldMerc is offline Find More Posts by OldMerc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jun 2007
22 Posts
Bungee Setup

I am starting to assemble this ARF and am very impressed. However, I do not like the way the bungee for the landing gear is done. I am hoping that someone has a better method of doing ths rather than using rubber bands. I think the obvious solution is to use O-rings. Has anyone tried this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
deggleston is offline Find More Posts by deggleston
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
DANBURY CT.
Joined Apr 2010
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggleston View Post
I am starting to assemble this ARF and am very impressed. However, I do not like the way the bungee for the landing gear is done. I am hoping that someone has a better method of doing ths rather than using rubber bands. I think the obvious solution is to use O-rings. Has anyone tried this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
On my Cub i use this : http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/1007.htm

Very strong and i can make any size i want. " O " rings will brake, they are made for sealing not to stretch on landing gear.

Edi
EDI PAULO is offline Find More Posts by EDI PAULO
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Jun 2007
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDI PAULO View Post
On my Cub i use this : http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/1007.htm

Very strong and i can make any size i want. " O " rings will brake, they are made for sealing not to stretch on landing gear.

Edi
Thanks for the info. What size (diameter) do you use and how do you join the ends to make a loop out of it?

Thanks,

Dave
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:19 AM
DANBURY CT.
Joined Apr 2010
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggleston View Post
Thanks for the info. What size (diameter) do you use and how do you join the ends to make a loop out of it?

Thanks,

Dave
I think they come in 3/16 dia, to join, you can make a loop and wire or this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=nicop...w=1280&bih=621
EDI PAULO is offline Find More Posts by EDI PAULO
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
Man I want to see some photos out of the boks !!!!
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:48 AM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
954 Posts
Just buy it. You know your going to anyway............
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, NJ, Upper Pittsgrove
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
.Do you boys think this new Super Cub is worth $649? Im not sure if it is or isnt. I have or have had all H9s big stuff, Cessna 182 ,Super Cub ,Cub,PT19, Taylorcraft. All were great but were acouple hundred dollars cheaper.Than what will happen is H9 will discontinue the thing in a year or 2 then you wont be able to get parts then you will be SOL and sorry you bought it for that price. Then some Bozo will be selling one on RCU for $1000 and hell get flamed. Just my take guys
scaleman57 is offline Find More Posts by scaleman57
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:43 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
954 Posts
Five or six years ago, I paid $550. for my D Patrick Super Cub. I would think this one is in the same circle of worth. Times are changing fast and prices are going up. Live for the moment in this hobby and forget the "what if's".........
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,197 Posts
I don't think it's worth $650,but I didn't buy it-I'm just building it.
The wise thing to do when a new kit comes out,is to buy an extra cowl and windscreen,while they're available.Cowl's $30,WS $19-good investment.
If YOU don't need it ,some dude will in a little while...

I make a pattern of the wing ribs,(copying the root) and make drawings of all the flight surfaces as if I'm drawing plans...If something breaks,I have accurate outlines to use for repairs.

I used to wish they'd cover them in fabric,or sell them uncovered.....I have my dreams.

And I hate the light shining through the covering-just hate it.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, NJ, Upper Pittsgrove
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Hey Earl sounds like you and I think alike.
scaleman57 is offline Find More Posts by scaleman57
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleman57 View Post
Hey Earl sounds like you and I think alike.
We may think alike,but I'm a liar !the Cowl cost me $21 and the WS $11.

Earlier,we were talking about bungees and rubber bands on the L/G.I'm going to Ace Hardware tomorrow and to get some springs...I'm concerned about the rubber deteriorating-springs won't...
Remember -This is a contract build,and I want to make the owner happy with the airplane.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Jun 2007
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
We may think alike,but I'm a liar !the Cowl cost me $21 and the WS $11.

Earlier,we were talking about bungees and rubber bands on the L/G.I'm going to Ace Hardware tomorrow and to get some springs...I'm concerned about the rubber deteriorating-springs won't...
Remember -This is a contract build,and I want to make the owner happy with the airplane.
If you find springs from Ace that work well, will you please post the item numbers of the springs?

Thanks,
Dave
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,197 Posts
When we inspected (inventoried) the parts we found a couple of damaged ribs and torn covering on the left wing tip,and the windscreen has two cracks in it.

Gene (the buyer) called HH and they said to send them back for replacement.
We opted to repair the wing panel,and just return the W/S..The plastic used is very brittle and must be handled with extreme care.....I cracked it again packing it !
The interior kit is comprised of many pieces of unmarked plastic,with no instruction manual.Luckily,I'm an experienced builder,and can probably decipher their locations-install what you can identify easily,then figure out the rest..There is no identification sheet for locations or description of parts-that's frustrating...

I still wish it was fabric covered.I told Gene -the first time he crashes it.....lol.

As you can see-I'm not 'gushing' about the 'kit',and I'll admit that I'm biased against ARFs. But I am honest,and on completion,I'll give you a fair evaluation.

I bought springs for the landing gear for longevity.3 each side seems to be adequate,so I'll install 4 per side,to absorb hard landings.(see pic.)
The springs fit with NO modifications,and give me peace of mind,when the owner takes the airplane away.
If I'm the only one with problems with the plastic,consider yourselves blessed.The windshield and interior parts are so brittle they split with little provocation.I'm painting and installing 1/64 ply in most cases.I'm just using most of the plastic for patterns.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,197 Posts
Don't buy those springs just yet-when the complete weight of the model is loaded,they're marginal...let me regroup and get back to you.
-Learning curve....
Maybe when the other two get here,they'll be adequate..The info on the tarp bungees is helpful,and balsa USA sell lengths of bungee also.
These bungee covers need to be taken into consideration-there's only so much room inside.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Nov 30, 2012 at 06:12 PM.