HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
Hangar 9's earlier 1/4 scale J3 and PA-18 were covered in World Tex fabric. I had the PA-18. So to answer your question...yes...I think they could put fabric on an ''arfy."
I said fabric and painted finish. World tex is an iron on and has edges that will be peeling up in time. Then your chasing that problem, just like plastic covering. I still stand by my statement. If you do a painted finish over fabric like Sig Koverall, you will still be trouble free in the years to come with no edges peeling up or wrinkles to iron out.
Plastic coverings have their place at times in the smaller modeling world. Giant SCALE airplanes should never have plastic on them.
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:45 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,829 Posts
Mewert, I couldn't agree with you more. Painted fabric (i.e., Koverall and dope, with an enamel or Klasskote color scheme) is by far the best finish for any giant scalie, especially this Cub.

That said, it makes sense to me that they cover it in iron-on material, considering the overseas production line skills that put it together, and the need to make a certain rate at the end of the line in order to be profitable.

The question now is, do you strip it right away, or do you fly it for a season or two and strip it after it has gotten a bit dog-eared and dirty. Decisions.

I may have to put my H9 quarter-Cub up on the auction block, and get one of these. Sure is perty.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aero Skyboy 600
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:40 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
923 Posts
Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy View Post
Mewert, I couldn't agree with you more. Painted fabric (i.e., Koverall and dope, with an enamel or Klasskote color scheme) is by far the best finish for any giant scalie, especially this Cub.

That said, it makes sense to me that they cover it in iron-on material, considering the overseas production line skills that put it together, and the need to make a certain rate at the end of the line in order to be profitable.

I agree 100%

The question now is, do you strip it right away, or do you fly it for a season or two and strip it after it has gotten a bit dog-eared and dirty. Decisions.

I believe it is way easier and better to strip it right away if you are going to anyway. That way you can do any mods or extra beefing up here and there. Lack of proper glue in joints and so forth is a major consideration here.

I may have to put my H9 quarter-Cub up on the auction block, and get one of these. Sure is perty.

I was thinking the same.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Roknhs.....how do you get a Horizon 15% coupon? I think the price is ok compared to other models, ARF's have gone up alot in the last 5 years a lot and its right in the ballpark with competition, and Hangar 9 quality is usually top notch. I would think the G26 at least or a heavier motor, or you will be strapping lead on it. Maybe a G38, but definately a DLE 30 would be too light I believe.
hooliganpilot is offline Find More Posts by hooliganpilot
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:44 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert View Post
I said fabric and painted finish. World tex is an iron on and has edges that will be peeling up in time. Then your chasing that problem, just like plastic covering. I still stand by my statement. If you do a painted finish over fabric like Sig Koverall, you will still be trouble free in the years to come with no edges peeling up or wrinkles to iron out.
Plastic coverings have their place at times in the smaller modeling world. Giant SCALE airplanes should never have plastic on them.
Sorry, I overlooked the painted finish part.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganpilot View Post
Roknhs.....how do you get a Horizon 15% coupon? I think the price is ok compared to other models, ARF's have gone up alot in the last 5 years a lot and its right in the ballpark with competition, and Hangar 9 quality is usually top notch. I would think the G26 at least or a heavier motor, or you will be strapping lead on it. Maybe a G38, but definately a DLE 30 would be too light I believe.

The coupon was a gratuity for filling out a survey on Horizon's service and marketing.........I buy a fair amount of stuff from them and occasionally get these requests for feedback........the timing on this one was perfect. Normally a coupon won't influence my purchase decisions..........this time it did.

Assuming the PA-18 will be very similiar to my J3, a motor like the DLE 55 with the Rx and Ignition battery behind the back seat should balance the airframe about perfectly. Something lighter like a DLE 30 will be plenty of power for sport flying............might need to move the batteries forward to get the correct balance point. If this is set up like the J3, there is a fair amount of space under the floor board for equipment. My Rx switch is just below the back seat on the kick board, my Ingition switch is just inside the door on the floor.

I have to believe any motor lighter than a DLE 30 will require some ballast weight on the firewall to balance........your mileage may vary............but I don't think so.
roknhs is offline Find More Posts by roknhs
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:34 PM
Crazy Pilot-gone insane...
United States, CT, Norwalk
Joined Nov 2009
117 Posts
Electric....

Hi guys.

So, one of my Lhs's has one on order for me.

This will be my first shot at a giant electric. Here is what I am thinking of doing.

I have had hacker motors in the past - my hackers have been flawless. Take amps well, and are usually a bit more flexible.

I am thinking of using an a60-5s, 295kv. I choose this motor because I can run it 8s as recommended, but I can just drop in 10s if I ever want to 'go nuts', as the motor will run 3000 watts all day long- I can't bring myself to cut up such a beautiful cowl.

What do you guys think?

Best,

Chris
harttvboy is offline Find More Posts by harttvboy
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:36 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
I also placed one on order and I ordered the new Zenoah ZP 26 engine for power. The new ZP38 is a rear exhaust and requires 182mm from the firewall and the new Cub is 158mm. Rear carb engines will make the throttle tough to hook up but, now I am worried that the ZP 26 may not be enough. FYI if you order the light kit be sure to order the needed extensions.

I also have the H9 1/4 scale Cub which is completed except I am also waiting on the new Zenoah ZP 20 engine. I had a G20ei in the past ans I have to say that it was more reliable than most automobiles. The redesigned Zenoah ignition with much smaller current draw should be a real benefit. Any comments on engine selection would be appreciated.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, NJ, Upper Pittsgrove
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
I THINK Im going with a DLE30 will fit with out hacking the cowl, good power and reliability. I thing electric would not do this beauty justice.
scaleman57 is offline Find More Posts by scaleman57
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
I agree..... Hangar has put a ton of scale detail into this new giant and I LOVE IT!!!!!! One major approvement I see is the folding wing supports....... they added scale lights if you want, which I plan on but not the Horizon option....... One thing I would love to know from you is the wing measurements from your 1/4 cub... I am ordering parts and the new wing bag is needed but I have no idea of the measurements......... Everyone toughts and has the DLE motors but my Super will be sporting the DA 60 - will barely squeeze with maybe a washer or two......... Go Big or Go Home...!!...
Coufalj is offline Find More Posts by Coufalj
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:03 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
923 Posts
Wing bags

I use two 64" Wingtote single bags for mine. http://www.wing-tote.com/1wing.php
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
@ MEWERT - Thank You!
Coufalj is offline Find More Posts by Coufalj
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:56 AM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
subbing to this I think this will be my first giant scale project
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:26 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
943 Posts
Already ordered and recieved the Topmodel CZ 200 mm / 7.87 ich diameter tundra tires... that will fit nice on this 1/4 scale Super CUB.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:05 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
923 Posts
What is the weight on these 200mm? I have the 160mm version that weigh a pound each. Thats allot of extra weight to lug around, but I think the 160mm fit the 1/4 S Cub better. Anyway, let us see the 200's on your Cub when you get it.