SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
I know what a tow release looks like............like I mentioned, I have three tow planes.
The question was how Metskers mounted one in this cub?? I don't know how to say it more clearly..........

I'd like to see a photo and and read a short explanation.......on the tow release in the H9 1/4 scale Super Cub that Menksters just put together...........Please.
roknhs is offline Find More Posts by roknhs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:40 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknhs View Post
I know what a tow release looks like............like I mentioned, I have three tow planes.
The question was how Metskers mounted one in this cub?? I don't know how to say it more clearly..........

I'd like to see a photo and and read a short explanation.......on the tow release in the H9 1/4 scale Super Cub that Menksters just put together...........Please.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers. Just trying to help.

If you look at post #117 and the first sentence of post #118, you might get the idea that Menksters has no way to put up photo's for you.
mewert is online now Find More Posts by mewert
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:49 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,277 Posts
Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknhs View Post
Easy for you maybe............without a picture, I have no idea what you've done. If I was good at 3D visualization I would have been an architect instead of an executioner.
This cub has a latch for the removeable cabin top at the trailing edge of the wing. Behind that, a center spine that goes all the way to the tail. Of course, there is no flat area on the turtle deck area aft of the wing.
I don't think it will be "very, very easy"..........not if the end product is supposed to look good.
Hence, my interest in Menkster's solution to the problem. I've installed tow releases in a Giant Stinger, a Taxi 2400 and a Senior Telemaster. All had their own challenges but, none had a center spine in combination with no flat area in the turtle deck area.
I would be interested in seeing a picture of your design............detailed explanations are wasted on a simple mind.............you know the old wisdom, " a picture is worth a thousand words "
Mr Mewert post takes you to a beautifully constructed one. that I have seen in use. But Mr Earl would be angy as it is a arf'ed mechinism I am going to post some photo's of my construction in a day or so. I did take detailed photo's of the way I built mine.Earl has been kind enough to post for me. Basically a 4/40 theaded one end pushrod,brass tube to carry it, brass cup hook from ace hardware bent and threaded into a brass tube for retainer ,then soldered in and a ply plate for mounting all and servo. There is a great mounting location for it behind to hatch release pin Can't do much right now cause I'm old as dirt and have a kidney stone lodged right now and am so doctor doped up I don't know day from nite. Did Chistmas pass yet? Darn thing has me reduced to tears. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Last edited by menksters; Dec 23, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:58 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,200 Posts
Donnie- sorry you're hurting, man....Feel better soon.

I've started working on another Super Cub-of sorts-it's a crash modified full scale,converted to a Mid-Wing Special,aerobatic plane.

Visit me at the 'balsa builders' forum, under (obviously) 'Mid Wing Special'

If you need help with those pictures, let me know. Earl
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,277 Posts
E-mailed

you some photo's Master Earl
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,200 Posts
This Cub is a 'floater'

Here's some of the menksters' Cub on floats.....I lost a couple Donnie-I'll get 'em back..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Dec 24, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,200 Posts
Grounded water bug...

Mr. Menksters-I am not satisfied with your performance. In the foreseeable future,a picture is required of your Super Cub in flight trim,supported by WATER !
.....send all these disassembled pix on pavement......how rude ! lol
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Dec 25, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,277 Posts
Tow lines

Just to let all know I sent Roknhs detailed photo's and assembly tips of the line release mechanism I installed on my plane. If anyone else would like them I can do same for you. donnie
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,277 Posts
My Overall Impressions

of the model are about the same as Mr. ARF Hater has mentioned BUT two of Earls major dislikes were very simple to remedy. First off what I did with Mr. To Tall Jones was simply from his back side lifted up jacket,.shirt then made a 1 inch horizontal cut. There are two figure support wires in body and I reached in with needle nose pliers and gave each wire a 3 turn twist. Taped up my surgical incision with blendurum tape,droped shirt and jacket and found I now had about 1 inch clearance at wing tube. Perfect and real simple. Next biggie seems to be plastic vs. fabric and I fully agree fabric would be preferable. I really dislike seeing this type of model with the plastic shine. Again for me a simple fix. Rough the film up and spray it with Testors Dull-Cote. Not only does it look like fabric it even feels like fabric. Just can't rave enough about this as the results are simply gorgeous. Used three little cans of it and probably 2/3 was overspray. My cost $15 and it is still repairable just like ultra-cote. Now something that hasn't been mentioned which usually surfaces right away is the hardware package. One word sums it up. Outstanding. Now to price point. 12' ft Telemaster kit $899, Top-flite Stinson 1/4 scale $350. Mind you this is for a big box of wood. It is expensive yes but every other arf this size and quality is too. My Sig Rascal 110 was at the top of ARF overall quality but this one has dethroned it. Lastly we have customer service and this one is a great little tale. My mini longhair dachshund Ms. Avalanche spends time in shop with me. I was snacking on some potato chips, phone in house rang and I went to answer it. Came back to shop and Ms Avie had chewed up my top green house hatch cover. Had been handling it and guess potato chip oil on it. Drat! and worse... Review Horizon spare parts site and wouldn't you know it this part not on list. Everything but this! Called them and was told " gee your right sir but hold for me a minute". Came back and says he has found one. I say price please? He says Merry Christmas and UPS delivers it two days later. Well dog gone think I'll do more business with Horizon! For me I think they have provided us a great product and best thing of all it fly's great as well.. Hope all enjoy theirs as well. donnie
Last edited by menksters; Dec 25, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,200 Posts
Clarity from an ARF Hater.

My reputation has preceded me...It's no secret,my feelings on ARFs.

To prevent bullets through my walls,I'm required to say the views stated are my opinions, alone.

Horizon Hobbies is exempt from my wrath....They are a top drawer Company,with a service department second to none...We had several warranty complaints,each disposed of with dispatch....We ordered extra parts as spares and repairs,and complete satisfaction resulted.

I'll stick to building my OWN models,but I like to assemble the occasional ARF for the updated experience...

My vociferous complaints fall on deaf ears,as far as giving an uncovered frame a chance,but the two guys in charge will eventually be replaced and a newer,more visioned pair will take the reins,and sell a container full to the builders in product BUYER world. Stop draggin' your feet and DO it,Hangar 9.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:33 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Sep 2003
161 Posts
That's a good idea using dull-cote on the covering. I'll have to try that when I get my Super Cub.
Do any of you remember the red and white fabric covered 25% Super Cub that Hanger 9 sold many years ago? Almost everyone complained about the fabric because it would stain from exhaust or whatever and the stains were almost impossible to remove. A lot of people ended up clear coating the fabric to solve the problem.
I guess some things never change.

Steve
Magneto is offline Find More Posts by Magneto
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,200 Posts
I still fly that model-I repainted it this summer...It still has the original covering on most of it.

The problem is,the manufacturers live in a world set apart from ours....They didn't ask for detailed input when they applied the fabric covering.
They used a covering that almost everyone knew needed a coat of clear to seal it........trying to save the almighty buck,we were told a market survey wouldn't support using a better covering...
Now,many years later and hundreds of dollars more expensive,they tell us they can't sell one UNcovered!!....Their ears are plugged....at present-it can't be done.

I'm taking bets that in the future,someone will have an idea...."what if we offered it for sale uncovered?" you just need to wait.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:20 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Apr 2008
72 Posts
Menkster thanks for the photos want to put floats on mine, going to order them after the first .Please let me know how she flys off the water
bladebender is offline Find More Posts by bladebender
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,277 Posts
H2o performance

It does great on the water. A joy to taxi with the twin rudder control. On step quickly and then lifts right off. The floats are one big erector set to assemble and the completed unit is very sturdy. Because of the weight factor aerial vertical maneuvers were greatly reduced. Lot of this also was due to fact I had to prop down from a 20" pin to an 18 for surface clearance. For those using electrons power was reduced for 3400 watts to 2600. Was surprised though the the rolls were still axial. Favorite is stall turns as it rotates super with change in weight distribution and it makes the best tail slides of any model I have flown. Am able to get a straight vertical drop of at least 50 feet. Knife edge is out. Now it also makes fantastic flat slips much nicer then with wheels. Inverted flight requires a bit more forward push. Lots of this acrobatic performance is something the full scale certainly could not do. When I set mine up I choose a drive system that would provide me performance comparable to that of the clipped wing cub acrobat. Each float need 3 oz. of weight to maintain my C.G. at 4 3/4. I would not recommend using these on the 110 drive system as it does fly Much heavier. Enjoy. donnie
Last edited by menksters; Dec 28, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,277 Posts
Such would

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I still fly that model-I repainted it this summer...It still has the original covering on most of it.

The problem is,the manufacturers live in a world set apart from ours....They didn't ask for detailed input when they applied the fabric covering.
They used a covering that almost everyone knew needed a coat of clear to seal it........trying to save the almighty buck,we were told a market survey wouldn't support using a better covering...
Now,many years later and hundreds of dollars more expensive,they tell us they can't sell one UNcovered!!....Their ears are plugged....at present-it can't be done.

I'm taking bets that in the future,someone will have an idea...."what if we offered it for sale uncovered?" you just need to wait.
be called ARC's and they were commonly available in the 70's. Really though today Earl I think the market for ARC's would be very limited. Maybe you and I and three others. I did just finish up a Fokker D- 8 kit from Pat Triddle that I covered in silk. Now though I stand ready for a good trashing from you as I am just starting assembly of a new release WW1 ARF. It is my all time fav of that era. Albatros. It's a 30 size wood framed covered in yes sir your favorite ultra-cote. See you at the whipping post. regards donnie
Last edited by menksters; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:18 AM.