HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:28 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
973 Posts
Discussion
New Horizon PA-18 Super Cub

Just got the announcement on this today. It looks like a carbon copy of the DP Super Cub. Maybe the parts will interchange. Not too bad on the price either.
Check it out.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...age1-_-HAN4540
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:45 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,039 Posts
Covered in ultracote....disappointing.
WCB is online now Find More Posts by WCB
Last edited by WCB; Oct 12, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
William from Windham NH USA
United States, NH, Windham
Joined Apr 2005
160 Posts
Horizon 1/4 scale Pa18

Greetings from the North East

Wow this looks Great to me anyone Know when they will be avalabel.

Say at the local hobby shop!

Whats the thought on power Gas or electric?

Post your options for this new member of the fleet!

Will
saltydog56 is offline Find More Posts by saltydog56
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, NE, Grand Island
Joined Dec 2009
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
Covered in ultracote....disappointing.
Heck of a lot better then Monocoat
So strip it off and be happy
Jim409 is offline Find More Posts by Jim409
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim409 View Post
Heck of a lot better then Monocoat
So strip it off and be happy
I agree... I would rather see a fabric on a giant-scale Super Cub, but if you are going to have to put a plastic film on it, it had better be Ultracote/Oracover.

Or, now this is a foreign concept, but why not just build a Super Cub and build it to suit. I know that's crazy-talk for most "modelers" these days. Sigh.....
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:42 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboycpa View Post
I agree... I would rather see a fabric on a giant-scale Super Cub, but if you are going to have to put a plastic film on it, it had better be Ultracote/Oracover.

Or, now this is a foreign concept, but why not just build a Super Cub and build it to suit. I know that's crazy-talk for most "modelers" these days. Sigh.....
I'm working on my 1/3 BUSA Super Cub. Been building my own models for 40 years and not going to give it up.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:18 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,141 Posts
Will,
In upper right corner of Hangar 9 page on this new Super CUB that say "Due Mid November, 2012"

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdId=HAN4540

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert View Post
I'm working on my 1/3 BUSA Super Cub. Been building my own models for 40 years and not going to give it up.
You're my kind of guy! [DISCLAIMER: I say that in the most straight-man way possible]
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:41 PM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,039 Posts
My point is that scale detail is the big selling point and they go and cover it in plastic film. Face palm.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:34 AM
William from Windham NH USA
United States, NH, Windham
Joined Apr 2005
160 Posts
super cub

Thanks for the Due Date Very small print but your right due mid
November so Its my xmas gift

I intend to run her on a g26 mag and after a season change the covering and ad more detail to look like this
saltydog56 is offline Find More Posts by saltydog56
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, NJ, Upper Pittsgrove
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Great looking Super Cub.Should however be covered in fabric.I have the H9 Cub the Cessna 182. These are great looking and fly great they hold up very well my Cub is over 10 years old and the fabric is still tight and has no holes in it.Im not sure if it is worth$650 Ill have to think about it before I order.I do have a DLE30 sitting on the shelf looking for a home.
scaleman57 is offline Find More Posts by scaleman57
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:08 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
My point is that scale detail is the big selling point and they go and cover it in plastic film. Face palm.
Do you really think that they would put a fabric and paint finish on an arfy? I'm just totally happy with the junky plastic covering job they do. It comes off easy!! All those iron on cloth coverings are just as bad as plastic in my book. There is just nothing better than a painted on finish and your never going to get it on an arfy.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
I think it's worth it.........can't think of a quality PA-18 for less. If you don't like the covering......take it off and recover or put a paint job on it. Aeroworks asks close to a $1000 bucks to get theirs to your door.........now that seems over the top to me.
I had a 15% coupon for Horizon so, I took the plunge. With the discount and the free shipping (oversize charge $22 bucks was not waived) , it was like $575 shipped to my door.

Compared to the Aeroworks cub and the Dave Patrick cub prices........I think Horizon has hit the sweet spot for pricing...........their quality is better than most and their customer support is great.

I've got their 1/4 scale J3 and have been more than happy with it........I'll sell that to make room for the super cub.

Might power it with a Brison 40 or possibly a DLE 55..........kinda think I want to tow some gliders. The Brison is on my J3 and it has been a great match for that airframe...........the PA-18 is pretty much the same.

I was very happy when Horizon introduced this super cub.......I think it will be well received and should show up at flying fields across land. Can't imagine it won't be a hit.
roknhs is offline Find More Posts by roknhs
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,582 Posts
I'm going to run an ASP 160 4 stroke twin converted to gas, nice and reliable and sounds oh so sweet, perfect match of power too.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:53 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert View Post
Do you really think that they would put a fabric and paint finish on an arfy? I'm just totally happy with the junky plastic covering job they do. It comes off easy!! All those iron on cloth coverings are just as bad as plastic in my book. There is just nothing better than a painted on finish and your never going to get it on an arfy.
Hangar 9's earlier 1/4 scale J3 and PA-18 were covered in World Tex fabric. I had the PA-18. So to answer your question...yes...I think they could put fabric on an ''arfy."