SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:46 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_A View Post
That has already happened.
Indeed... + is just one more nail in the coffin... Keep this up and this site will see tumbleweeds around the forums just like RC Universe..

Is it just me or are there more adds now on the screen? Now they brought in google adds? Pretty soon we wont get warned with points, we'll get fined for breaking the rules.. gotta bring in that cheddar!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,463 Posts
I'm pretty new here and have learned a lot. But I am learning from people who are posting freely with their own time and effort. And now they should be charged for building content and driving traffic to this site? If anything, these "experts/contributers" should be paid, not have to pay. Without their contributions (and all of our's) there would be no one here to view the ads.

Then again, I don't even know what "+" and classic views are, but have been doing just fine here, ignorant and all...
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:40 AM
Glitch Master
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
2,018 Posts
Perhaps I am missing something, but I am not seeing anything being taken away from any of the general membership if you were to choose to keep on participating as you always have, and not elect for the "plus" membership. Some of you are taking this way too personally IMHO.
Jim Varley is offline Find More Posts by Jim Varley
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:43 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
7,221 Posts
the problem with running a site with more traffic unlike rcuniverse
the more bandwidth used per month... costs more, hence more adds here to recover costs
if more users paid, there could be less ads needed to recover costs

i only speak from experience from being a part owner in several large community websites in the past
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:17 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irun4fundotca View Post
the problem with running a site with more traffic unlike rcuniverse
the more bandwidth used per month... costs more, hence more adds here to recover costs
if more users paid, there could be less ads needed to recover costs

i only speak from experience from being a part owner in several large community websites in the past
That's fine, so make something that's worth charging for, then charge an appropriate amount.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:44 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
7,221 Posts
im only reffering to more adds being put in place

if you want less, pay.. otherwize we have to deal with it (tho understanding why)
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:49 AM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,071 Posts
The main thing I don't understand is why $50? This has always been a free forum. The vast majority of users will never pay to use this site. At $50/year, you may be lucky to get 1% of 439,000 users to sign up thus generating $219,500. At $25/year, that percentage would probably jump to 3% ($329,250), and at $10/year, I would guess membership could jump as high as 10%, generating a whopping $439,000/year. In this economy, $50 is a lot of money to pay for a "free" forum.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:29 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irun4fundotca View Post
im only reffering to more adds being put in place

if you want less, pay.. otherwize we have to deal with it (tho understanding why)
I see it differently, if I want less adds in my face, I won't pay, I'll go to another site! Terry the transmitter just made a terrible mistake!

I agree, at $10 a year, I don't think this even becomes an issue! This is already an expensive hobby but $50! People fly those subpar 3d planes from hobbyking to save $50, what makes you think they will take that $50 and give it to a free forum?

It worrys me that these guys have lost complete touch with their users. Defending one sponsor who rips off multiple schemes from another sponsor, deleting posts to cover tracks, closing threads to avoid scrutiny! These are all things that have been done recently, I'm shocked this thread is still open! Normally big brother quickly deletes any negative PR... Hey guys, who was the plus member of September?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:38 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Varley View Post
Perhaps I am missing something, but I am not seeing anything being taken away from any of the general membership if you were to choose to keep on participating as you always have, and not elect for the "plus" membership. Some of you are taking this way too personally IMHO.
I don't think anything was taken away, but google adds was added to your screen!
The reason it's being taken personally is because it's just another questionable move by RCG. While the majority of users don't have a clue what's been going on, the 3d community has dealt with this head on since copyking decided it was a good idea to rip off 3dhs and pretend like nothing happened here on the forums! I actually didn't care at first until hobbyking blatantly lied on the forums and had RCG go back and clean up the trace... I'm sure they pay a bit more than $50 a year to get that kind of service on here!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:45 AM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
Id hate to see this site to have the same fate of RCU, I agree with many members that and think the $10 would be an adecuate fee.
bushpilotx1 is online now Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:52 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
it seems its about the money now and not the hobby. All hail the mighty dollar!
Santoneski is offline Find More Posts by Santoneski
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilotx1 View Post
Id hate to see this site to have the same fate of RCU, I agree with many members that and think the $10 would be an adecuate fee.
With hundreds of thousands of loyal users, if this site goes down like RCU, it will be at nobodies fault but their own... Yet another self written tragedy in the RC world!

But honestly, even at $10, what are you really getting, a bigger mailbox, some carbon fiber by your classifieds add...? two days ago i was interested in RCG+, now I'm chuckling on the inside every time I see a post by a plus member, wondering to myself if they actually paid $50 for that tag! My interest in RCG+ is at zero after this stunt!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:12 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
The main thing I don't understand is why $50? This has always been a free forum. The vast majority of users will never pay to use this site. At $50/year, you may be lucky to get 1% of 439,000 users to sign up thus generating $219,500. At $25/year, that percentage would probably jump to 3% ($329,250), and at $10/year, I would guess membership could jump as high as 10%, generating a whopping $439,000/year. In this economy, $50 is a lot of money to pay for a "free" forum.
+1......for $10 or $20 a year i would be more apt to give my support for rcgroups. Im sure ther are 1,000s more out ther that would also jump on board for that fee...However if they did change the fee, the ppl that payed $50 would want a refund and /or feel cheated. Must be some reason why they started at $50 and not say $20. But dont ask me, Im a simpleton.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:21 AM
Let's get low, let's get fast.
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Dec 2009
311 Posts
$50 a year? Not. Going. To. Happen.
kilgore_trout is offline Find More Posts by kilgore_trout
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Looks like most agree $50 is likely too steep a price. Especially for what you get. Now, what if you got something of value for your money? What if the money went towards more flying events throughout the country? Or flying events in countries that don't currently have many if any at all? What if the money went towards saving or creating more RC clubs? What if the money was donated to charity? Any or all of these ideas (and more) would make RCG+ worth sooooo much more then it is currently.

But, it appears they are more interested in profit then the hobby. Would love for them to prove me wrong.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie