HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,174 Posts
PBR details

This boat has had quite a few things changed, since it's last, Navy configuration. I was able to tour, and photograph, an in service boat, about 15+ years ago. I have also had access to several ex navy, boats that had not been modified yet. The Tamiya, 1/35 PBR kit, is REAL acurate. I figure the Navy must have helped with the making of the kit. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, NY, Gates-North Gates
Joined Nov 2005
25 Posts
Hampboats, thanks for posting the pictures! These are great...are you planning on a PBR build?

I recently purchased a 1/10 scale Dynamic Models PBR from LoyalHanna and hope to start this soon.
Sea_Horse is offline Find More Posts by Sea_Horse
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Jun 2009
159 Posts
1/6 scale PBR

I am retro fitting the 1/6 scale (well almost 1/6 scale) gas model to electric jet drive. I am a waiting my Jet drives from Germany to get the power plant tested ( brushless motors and Lipos. I lighten up my GI Joes by removing much of their bodies so that only a skeleton like frame remains and then filling it in with foam. Their clothes hide the transformation. I have already removed the gas motor and stuff and sold it. I recently ordered new guns to replace the ones on the boat and I plan on stripping the rest of the stuff off and increasing the detail alot. I have never seen a more dumber stand than the one that came with the boat. I have boats a third the size that have stands three times the size of the one in the photo.
hampboats is offline Find More Posts by hampboats
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
The PBR was based on a cabin cruiser hull but I can't remember the company name. Some years ago we were approached by somebody at the Milwaukee Boat Show looking for help with finding or making a model of the CC. He had owned one (full sized) and wanted a model.

Cool pix guys.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Jun 2009
159 Posts
restored PBR

Couple photos of the boat as it is today. It does run and the guns do fire by way of some type of gas firing. Many of Ropkeys tanks and other vehicles have been in movies and on the History Channel in various documentaries. It is nothing to see a huge M1 tank going down the highway on a flat bed.
hampboats is offline Find More Posts by hampboats
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:08 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem View Post
The PBR was based on a cabin cruiser hull but I can't remember the company name. Some years ago we were approached by somebody at the Milwaukee Boat Show looking for help with finding or making a model of the CC. He had owned one (full sized) and wanted a model.

Cool pix guys.
The commercial hull was by Uniflite here in Bellingham, WA. All the original orders were built here and primary testing done ion the bay. Met the designer and have an original rendering of the boats. Also have seen the original model mold and might have to borrow it and build one.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:31 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,613 Posts
Longbike would like this.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,215 Posts
Lots of detail "shots" love it thanks.
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
this is great thanks I need these pics for the build.
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
Rochester NY
Joined Mar 2005
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampboats View Post
I am retro fitting the 1/6 scale (well almost 1/6 scale) gas model to electric jet drive. I am a waiting my Jet drives from Germany to get the power plant tested ( brushless motors and Lipos. I lighten up my GI Joes by removing much of their bodies so that only a skeleton like frame remains and then filling it in with foam. Their clothes hide the transformation. I have already removed the gas motor and stuff and sold it. I recently ordered new guns to replace the ones on the boat and I plan on stripping the rest of the stuff off and increasing the detail alot. I have never seen a more dumber stand than the one that came with the boat. I have boats a third the size that have stands three times the size of the one in the photo.
Hi Dave,
That is the Imex hull right?
I was thinking at one time about doing the same thing that you are doing with yours. I almost bought one.
I am looking forward to seeing your progress. Dave.
Subdave is offline Find More Posts by Subdave
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,174 Posts
PBR hull

The MK 1 boats, were based on a civilian hull, the MK 2 boats, were a custom hull, specially designed for the Navy, for river patrol use. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:11 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem View Post
The PBR was based on a cabin cruiser hull but I can't remember the company name.
Like Keith said, it was Uniflite that used their popular 31' Cruiser as the basis for the Mk1 PBR;

I never liked the lines on the Mk1 boat, but the Mk2 boat is still one of the sexiest boats ever made.

Thanks for the great pics Hampboats, I would imagine that isn't the actual 105 boat is it? I'm guessing they're just paying homage...
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:11 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,672 Posts
The MK2 is definately a better version and looks better. Have both hulls at the museum here so easy to do a comparison. Art Nordvet, the original designer, has also always liked the MK2 as in his words " boat just behaved better with the set up requirements once we knew more about the conditions they were facing". Great looking small arms fighters and the stories i have heard from the vets that servedon them and saved by them make them a valuable peice of American Military history.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S