HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:13 PM
bleisch43
Joined Oct 2012
15 Posts
Question
rc heli simulater

how close is it practicing on 6 chanel flight simulater to flying the real bird? is it a good idea? new to 6 chanel flying first flight a complete mess... lol... any help or ideas apreceiated.............
bleisch43 is offline Find More Posts by bleisch43
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,441 Posts
A decent sim is a considerable help.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleisch43 View Post
how close is it practicing on 6 chanel flight simulater to flying the real bird? is it a good idea? new to 6 chanel flying first flight a complete mess... lol... any help or ideas apreceiated.............
I have always found hovering to be pretty darn similar, especially for someone starting out. Sims aren't easy, I'll tell you that much. Anything other than hovering around I've found to have a totally different feel from reality, but you end up still getting more than a general idea on a sim. There are some free ones you could start out on... check out HeliSimRC. Or Clearview is free to try, $40 to buy. For the most part all the top sims have a demo that you can at least see how it runs on your system and get a good idea of how the sim itself looks.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:35 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,130 Posts
It obviously doesn't handle cyclic exactly like in real life, but orientation, handling, throttle control, and all the basics are close enough that it shouldn't take much to adjust to a real heli.

I'd be progressing a lot faster if the GeniusCP motor doesn't keep burning out. The last one melted my airframe! I spend more time in a simulator than in an actual heli.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:00 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,979 Posts
A good Sim is helpful but you can get careless as you just hit reset and start over. Real life a bad crash is going to cost you. Comon problem with Genius c/p is having to much pitch and frying motors. I may convert mine to brushless.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:06 PM
bleisch43
Joined Oct 2012
15 Posts
i have a genius also.. way to much pitch and when i start it up it wants to spin vilontly to right and just go around in cicles.. cant go to full throtle it totly bogs moter out. why is this heli going around in circles.. how can i fix this
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,130 Posts
Quote:
i have a genius also.. way to much pitch and when i start it up it wants to spin vilontly to right and just go around in cicles.. cant go to full throtle it totly bogs moter out. why is this heli going around in circles.. how can i fix this
The gyro isn't really as good as the ones on the larger helicopters. They will holdthe helicopter steady in strong wind but aaren't sensitive enough to totally cancel the helis natural torque. You will need to hover the heli for a moment and then adjust the trims while trying to hold it steady in front of you. I usually have the transmitters rudder trim a bar on the left (about 15 left clicks?), before plunging in the battery on the heli. The heli will take the value it sees on start and assume that to be the center rudder (which of course it'll instantly start deviating from), and from there I center the trim and that's usually enough to hold the tail steady.

You can also try ST1. The tail seems more stable if the head speed isn't changing constantly. You can also try brushless, the high head speed keeps it steady even in normal mode, tho it burns out ESCs after a day of flying.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
bleisch43
Joined Oct 2012
15 Posts
thnx for the tips.. really helpfull..
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,130 Posts
Ah, you may also want to check the gyro settings. It has to be at 65 and above. Anything at 50 and below turns off the gyro completely.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
A decent sim is a considerable help.
this ^
Read: not free
you have 3 options for sims Phoenix, Realflight, and Aerofly
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
how close is it practicing on 6 chanel flight simulater to flying the real bird? .............
I tried helisimrc (free). - It might help train muscle memory for side in etc, but it's not very realistic.

Clearview is only marginally better. In my oppinion it's much more stable and easier to hover than the real thing, and when you get to forward flight it just doesn't feel right to me. I uninstalled it a long time ago.

Invest in one of the 3 options elios listed. You can edit parameters and make it feel and handle (and maybe even look) real close to your heli.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
Hands on is always the best experience. Phoenix 4 simulator looks real good. A good practice heli for 3d is a Blade mcpx v2. It's light and wouldnt break much in the right environment (grass, yard).
08charger3.5 is offline Find More Posts by 08charger3.5