Is the attached picture a stick?

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I just can't believe it's taken me over 25 years to finally get one. I flew my Big Stik 60 again yesterday and really can't say enough good about it. I'm upgrading it from the 80 to a 91 4 stroke so we'll see what it's like with a bit more power.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
Deleted
burlesontom is offline Find More Posts by burlesontom
Last edited by burlesontom; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
lets keep it on track with the original message.
Mark
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I agree, no bashing. It took me 25 years just to decide I'd like one, always thought they'd be too fast for my taste. Try one Zor, you'll love it! There is a couple every week on Ebay, Chinese ARFs for sure but a good way to have some fun.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
Deleted
Last edited by burlesontom; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:21 PM
Torino, Italy
Joined Oct 2010
38 Posts
I think that what defines a stik are not the general proportions or some specific aerodinamics , but rather having, along with the basic simplicity of a boxy, squared design, the added character of a ww1 german plane look alike, that is what makes everybody recognise it at a glance.
For istance, the german plane video with the 3 cyl engine, is a basic simple plane, but not a stik
IMHO
latinRClover is offline Find More Posts by latinRClover
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:29 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Really? We're going to reinvent the wheel here? Are we really going to go down the road as to what the definition of "is" is?

The link that latinRClover gave us in post #41 said it all. Simple - all one has to do is read it - case-closed. Bringing the horse to the water, so to speak. Toysareforkids brings some exerts to this thread from the link in post #41. So now, the water has been brought to the horse...

The theme of the post is: "Lets see your Stik Planes Dead or Alive". S-T-I-K - Stik. I know that our spell checkers automatically correct s-t-i-k into s-t-i-c-k. In the heat of typing we don't catch it. No big deal. As a matter of fact, when the Stik was still in production, there were several "Stick" kits on the market, including the 'c' in the name to stay away from Copyright infringement. again, no big deal.

The "Stik" has made it into the glossary of generic R/C terms just like the term "Cub". There are many, many models that are Cub-like, but not Piper J-3 (et al) Cubs. Relax, that's okay. Modeled after the original Das Ugly Stik, tons of Stik-like plans, kits, and Arfs have spawned from this design, some following the round vertical stab/rudder and scalloped ailerons, and some not. When I first saw the Quickie 500, I thought "Stik on steroids". And as the saying goes, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Nuff said.

Now, can we get back to enjoying this time-proven and fun design?

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:22 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
Really? We're going to reinvent the wheel here? Are we really going to go down the road as to what the definition of "is" is?

The link that latinRClover gave us in post #41 said it all. Simple - all one has to do is read it - case-closed. Bringing the horse to the water, so to speak. Toysareforkids brings some exerts to this thread from the link in post #41. So now, the water has been brought to the horse...

The theme of the post is: "Lets see your Stik Planes Dead or Alive". S-T-I-K - Stik. I know that our spell checkers automatically correct s-t-i-k into s-t-i-c-k. In the heat of typing we don't catch it. No big deal. As a matter of fact, when the Stik was still in production, there were several "Stick" kits on the market, including the 'c' in the name to stay away from Copyright infringement. again, no big deal.

The "Stik" has made it into the glossary of generic R/C terms just like the term "Cub". There are many, many models that are Cub-like, but not Piper J-3 (et al) Cubs. Relax, that's okay. Modeled after the original Das Ugly Stik, tons of Stik-like plans, kits, and Arfs have spawned from this design, some following the round vertical stab/rudder and scalloped ailerons, and some not. When I first saw the Quickie 500, I thought "Stik on steroids". And as the saying goes, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Nuff said.

Now, can we get back to enjoying this time-proven and fun design?

EJWash
agreed. I believe the question has been answered more than thoroughly both directly and indirectly.

there have been, are now, and will continue to be MANY off-shoots and re-imaginings of the "Stik" theme. my U-Can-Do is one of them. I think there is no real concrete definition of a "Stik" or "Stick" type plane, and what qualifies as a stick or not a stick is rather nebulous and open to interpretation. which is the general idea that has been expressed here.

im sure the "what defines a stick" posts are not directly meant to be troublesome, though they are rather tangent to the discussion at hand. I think some people find that kind of redirection - when the solution to the question is obvious - to be trolling or even overtly quarrelsome when the question is re-asked with pictures of an object that is clearly nowhere close to being similar to any of the airplanes or designs being discussed. which is understandable i guess.

I don't, as i simply ignore posts that aren't relevant to what I am interested in reading about or discussing (no offense Zor.) Though I think there are others that don't find that so easy to do.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
Wish deletion of posts here were possible.
Trying to keep on subject here.
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:45 PM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Not mine, But this is a whole alot of stik!

Pat
Toysareforkids is offline Find More Posts by Toysareforkids
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Yeah the Uproar is a lot like a stik but it's not. Love those giant Stiks by the way!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
381 Posts
Don't have any pics of my Glow Stiks - all have met their demise long ago. Das Ugly, Sweet-n-Low, and Canard Stik. However - have a NIB Canard Stik that will be my winter project.

Here are my modified Slow Stiks - I think they qualify even though this is a fuel forum. They definately are made in the same vein as the original Stiks. If you look closely - you can see these are from the dark ages - no brushless and NiMH batteries.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Yup, those are Stiks too in my book.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiedrg View Post
Wish deletion of posts here were possible.
Trying to keep on subject here.
All my post have been deleted. Good luck with your thread.
Closed Thread