Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Aros, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Discussion
FMS 1700MM F4U-4 Corsair and P-47 Hub Issue

This is a video of my FMS V2 1700MM F4U-4 Corsair in a fatal crash due to an improper hub design. This video has been making the rounds and showcases the importance of properly developed and designed parts to RC airplanes. There has been numerous strides in quality and technology in our hobby recently, but this is evidence that there can always be more attention to detail and safety.

FMS has been notified and they have already responded that they are already working on a new hub design with superior quality to ensure this doesn't happen again. I'm very fortunate this took place away from the flight line and the crowd that was there watching the flight.

The 1700MM F4U Corsair and P-47 are the two planes in question as far as the hub design goes. For those of you who have purchased these planes, the replacement hubs should be available very soon. Talk to your distributor about getting that hub replaced. I would not trust the version you have.

Fatal Crash of the FMS 1700MM V2 Corsair (3 min 18 sec)
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
my Head is Spinning!!!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
937 Posts
Dang! I'm happy nobody got hurt. I hope FMS replaces your plane.
Helldiver is online now Find More Posts by Helldiver
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:00 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Yes me too. And they are replacing my plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:44 PM
Finally made a maiden flight!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2008
369 Posts
alpinemike is offline Find More Posts by alpinemike
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,578 Posts
Aros -

I've read very little of the Lx/blitzw. Corsair thread but I don't recall any big problem like this showing up on it. Looks like, from what I see it's a simpler design and incorporates assist from the hub nut to hold clamping pressure. Is that correct?

Jack
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:17 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Jack, do you mean the LX hub or FMS hub?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:13 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Jack, do you mean the LX hub or FMS hub?
The Lx hub. Any probs. show up with that prop assbly.? Check post #5 again...
Last edited by gnats82; Oct 12, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:51 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Jack I wish I could remember. I haven't had it for several months (sold it out of frustration). But yes, from what I recall the design was similar but the main thing is the props were much more heavy-weight with more clearance from the cowl. Although I do think the FMS hub needs to be strengthened, I think the main problem has stemmed from a lack of clearance between the base of the hub and the cowl/dummy engine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,578 Posts
Aros -

O.K. It's in the hands of FMS now and I wish them the best to process this to the best conclusion.

This is a 'golden opportunity' to get such issues resolved for the ongoing benefit of everyone including future users, new folks to the hobby, and to the industry. This event has brought this aspect of the hobby into intense focus and I want to add what I can so that the treatment is as thorough and accurate as possible.

I can't recall an incident where one of these devices, internal combustion or electric, where the blades from the propeller were flung from the unit to become projectiles and capable of danger to those nearby like this has been.

Whether contact was there against the cowl or not, these units meed to be constructed with the objective that if such contact were to occur, a breakup like this would absolutely not be the result. Blade strikes on the outer parts are another thing - grinding forces against the hub like you're suggesting should not do this. My concern was also piqued when there began some comments of construction issues with the 1400mm range of planes. In short, if there's a pattern here with FMS, or any other maker for that matter, I wish it to be 'nipped in the bud' as one might say. It's the most opportune moment.

I don't feel like I'm overreacting. I hope I'm not.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Great post and I agree 100%.

I feel confident in FMS to resolve this safety issue. Their very business is at stake.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
That was kinda awesome, purely from a visual stand point
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:34 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Indeed!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Okay I received these new hub photos from FMS. All I have is the descriptions that came with them. Here they are...

"It is made of special material and it is much stronger than before. The position of screwing on the new hub is thicker and deeper."
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:50 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
definitely beefier.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:09 AM
How's the wind today?
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
797 Posts
Wow Aros!!

I am walking around with qwerty stamped on my jaw because it fell onto my keyboard after watching your video.

As with other comments, great no one was hurt.

And I must say that we are all fortunate to have great spokes-poeple such as yourself to share and act in the name of this amazing Hobby.

Thank you Sir,
Steve
Rcbyair is offline Find More Posts by Rcbyair