SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:25 PM
Chris Craft Corvette
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2006
210 Posts
Thanks aerominded. Is Monterey Bay close to Los Gatos? Our son along with his wife and children just moved to Los Gatos lsast January and we are going to their home for Christmas. It will be our first time in northern California. We are looking forward to it. Will we be close to Spreckels Lake?? If so when do the model boats show up? I would love to see them and I'm sure my grandson would as well.
Thanks,
Dick
42Corvette is offline Find More Posts by 42Corvette
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:34 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Yes, Monterey Bay is just "over the hill" from Los Gatos- a half hour drive will get you to the north end of the bay- Lots to see and do around the bay between Santa Cruz and Monterey. Spreckels Lake is about an hour drive north of Los Gatos. Highly recommend a trip to both! Re: events at the lake, there is ususally some activity at the lake on weekends if the weather is good and often our clubhouse is open. Boats typically show up around 9 am and things start to wind down mid-afternoon. The SFMYC will be having a Lighted Boat Parade at the lake the evening of the 15th of December.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:40 PM
Chris Craft Corvette
Joined Mar 2006
210 Posts
Thanks aerominded. I will try to make it to Spreckels Lake for sure. I think we don't arrive until after the 15 th unfortunately.
Dick
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
You're welcome!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:56 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Corvette View Post
Hi Tim,
Here are some pictures of the 21' Chris Craft Monterey. I built the boat in
1955 give or take one year. Do I get the "OLD" trophy??? Dick
Man, thats The coolest thing I've Ever seen, I think thats VERY well done and it's in amazing condition ( almost 60 years old ??? )

I Gotta wrap up the boat Im on now so I can get started on something like this ~

And Certainly, yes, you get the Oldest Model Trophy !

I hope that if you come to vistit Spreckels that I hear about it and can vistit as well.

Tim
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:08 PM
Chris Craft Corvette
Joined Mar 2006
210 Posts
Thanks Tim,
I did redo the boat about 30 years ago. Gosh, I must be old---30 years doesn't seem that long. I meant the trophy for being the oldest guy. It kinda sounded like a contest about who was the oldest. I guess I don't want to be the winner.
It sure feels good to be back in touch with everyone in RC Groups.
I will get you a message if and when we plan a trip to Spreckels Lake. My grandson is only 3 so I'm not sure he would be up to the trip. I sure want to go.
See you there hopefully.
Dick
my cell is 317-258-5511
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:23 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
You still get the trophy for the boat.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:41 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Nice job of building her, 42Corvette. Your pics show the inside of her, which I have never seen before.
One thing, though. When you get all settled in and have time, you might want to have a good look at your bow navigation light. Starboard green and... well, you know.
Don't feel bad; my latest eBay Sterling acquisition, a motor yacht, has a red port nav light and a red starboard nav light. I guess the long-ago builder was saving paint and had a good supply of red on hand.
I do like the 1:12 scale a lot. Again, thanks for sharing her.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:29 AM
Chris Craft Corvette
Joined Mar 2006
210 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I never caught it. The interior is all home made as you can tell. Really quick and dirty. When rebuild time comes, it will have to go. One of Mack's stuffing box for the prop and maybe one for the rudder. When I had the electric outboard, I built what looked like bunks in the cabin for the batteries. The long rod was to steer the boat. There has to be a better way to do that.
Tim, I wonder if an outboard would be the way to go or if you go with an inboard, would a 380 motor motor be better and require smaller batteries. Would aft benches cover the batteries. I really eager to see how you go about this. I'll keep watching.
Dick
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:08 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
The Plan...

I can tell ya now, I dont have the skills to build it as -is !

At 21 inches I dont think I can fit it all in there.

I am going to scale up the plans to get a boat big enough for me to build WELL, really detail as best I can.

Inboard config, LiPo batts. and I will try to fit an aircraft servo aft instead of running a long servo rod.

Havent done Anything like that before but thats the fun of it.

This all works out well as I can get it done and Very importantly the original kit will be preserved ( I plan to do this with the Berkeley, it's only 18 inches ! )
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:24 AM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Oh, I be scared of LiPo battery power. Fire fire on board.
Gravman is online now Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:23 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Fuego ?

Not too worried with LiPo's, have 5 planes and 17 LiPo batts, a good charger and a few years using them, no fires ever ( typically this happens during charging ).

Low voltage cut off establishment is wise, but we can do that.

I won't plan to use them though unless its neccesary, any batt. in a model this small will be part of the ballast arrangement so we'll see.

If I get these scaled up to 28 / 30 inches I may be able to make it.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:09 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Today be a Lucky day, two very rare old Sterling kits arrived courtesy of Santa ...

Step one is to copy the plans so they are not handled any more.

Both kits are 100% complete, got some rersearch to do.

Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:12 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
Tim,
What kind of shape is the wood in ? Is dry ?

Manny
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:35 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Its all dry, well cared for, the boxes are a bit worn but fine.

No mildewy smell when opened, just smells like when you walk into a Very old library ..

I dont currently plan to use this wood, I think the right thing to do is copy everything, and I mean trace out frames and all, not just the plans ( I have heard that some plans arent exactly an accurate representation of the parts ).

Fittings kits are %100 percent, all the decals are here.