HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
[QUOTE=maxxnut;23167338]Just bring your wife a bunch of flowers wrapped in paper and when she takes them out to put in a vase, a package of welder falls out of the bottom. "Look at that, honey, I will take that back to the store !! "[/QUOTE lol I was married once for 23 years and that was looooong enough for me .joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:47 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
I'm a lucky man. My wife looks better and weighs the same as when I married her.

(She can't say the same about me.)
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:45 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
I'd guess welder glue is this stuff http://www.shop3m.com/62449526318.html repackaged in a smaller tube. The 3M 4693 has almost doubled in price in the last few years but it works just like welder and the educated noses in our club says it's the same. It also smells the same as UHU por plastic adhesive.

It's what holds chrome trim on cars and works great on EPP since it holds and stays flexible. It's know in the body and fender shops as snot in a tube.

It's less expensive than welder, you do the arithmetic. All of them have a limited shelf life. After about a year they start to thicken.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:31 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,469 Posts
I use Beacon Quick Grip. Drys faster than Welders and seems a little stronger. Get it at Walmart or Michaels.
bigbobed is online now Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Oct 2012
15 Posts
My local Lowes here in Alabama still carries welders. Just picked some up a couple of days ago. It was in the epoxies and glues area of the store. Maybe its not all Lowes that have stopped carrying it.
drand1020 is offline Find More Posts by drand1020
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:37 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
It was my understanding after talking to Lowes corporate, that they will not carry Welder after current stock expires. Get it while you can, I bought 13 tubes.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:20 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
The lowes i go to near the lhs showed 3 packages left when i went there a while back(we found two)They like to play hide and seek and move it around a lot for some reason to different areas of the store. Welders hasn't been recalled or anything but once the supply is gone lowes wont have it anymore. The guy working the department where it was last was cool and i spoke with him months ago when i bought quite a few packages of it,he was unaware of its use in the hobby and inquired what its used for and i explained we use it for building epp foamies etc. When i bought the last of the stock at there store he ran a check of surrounding area stores.. anyone near the bollingbrooke area lowes.. they had 20+ packages left at the time. I called the manufacturer of welders early on and was told it wont be available at lowes in the future. Take it for what its worth but if lowes corporate and the manufacturer of welders(Homax) both confirm it will no longer be carried by lowes.. once the stock at the stores is gone its gone. Whether or not homax will still produce it is still uncertain.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:33 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
773 Posts
hey bigbobed,
i don't think anyone even noticed what you said.
i've been touting beacons quick grip over welders and foam-tac for a couple of years. it's $3.99 for a tube at wallyworld it sets up very fast. apply to one or both surfaces, stick and pull apart 3 or 4 times in 60 seconds and handle 10 minutes later and fly in an hour. the new foam-tac is $11.99 for 2 ounces and according to the "deacon of beacon" the old foam-tac was suggested at $11.99 but no place i ever bought it had it that high and stores that sold it cheaper than the suggested $11.99 may not be getting new stock to sell. (that may change) the newer foam-tac is improved over the old f/tac, less stringy, dries faster etc... but now will be more expensive than uhu-por. foam-tac does seem to work with every foam but, for EPP NOTHING BEATS BEACON'S Quick Grip. beacon employees seem to be pushing hard on foam-tac's new release and the $11.99 price tag. rcfoam has put their price at $11.99 now but are showing the old bottle in the pic. so maybe beacon was serious about selling their product at what they suggest or...
as long as they don't improve quick grip because for epp there is nothing better, it makes foam-tac, welders, stick and seal, e6000, goop, hot glue and uhu-por go to the end of the line, but ONLY ON EPP, no eps, depron or redi-board, but then real men use epp anyway, no girlie foam. depron, sounds like something to hold up the waistline of your expanded polystyrene panties or blue bloomers...ha. DISCLAIMER- i do have a couple of get real's owens pink 48"'s that i used foam-tac and uhu-por on from a year or two ago that i still fly.
so for all welders addicts when khen runs out of his stock you have a less smelly alternative with Beacon's Quick Grip Adhesive, at least at wallyworld. joanns and others want $6-7 for a $3.99 tube.
long live beacon

michael-quick grip-clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Nov 24, 2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: cuz...
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:49 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
773 Posts
hey fastfwd,
it has you listed as "join date-march 2012" and total post of 1,445. you must type very very fast. you don't give lessons do you

impressed,
michael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:41 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
Now I am down to 12 tubes, but I understand that Beacon has a new formula that has a picture of a model airplane on the package, for about $12 a bottle, is this what you are talking about ?? would be willing to try it.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
We just got in a large shipment of Welder for those in need! We lowered the price to $2.49 per tube (we split the tubes for those that just need one).

We are also bringing in a case of the newly formulated Foam Tac. I'm excited to give the new stuff a try.

Welder Link on RCPB
You might want to stock up even more. While you can...
STLAV8R is online now Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:17 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Now I am down to 12 tubes, but I understand that Beacon has a new formula that has a picture of a model airplane on the package, for about $12 a bottle, is this what you are talking about ?? would be willing to try it.
RCPlaneBuilder is suppose to have the new formula to currently or soon(was a while back when i inquired about it so im not sure),i'll get some on my next order for sure and build something with it to see what its like to work with. Someone local gave me a half bottle of the old formula but the cap was cracked and it was way to thick to use after sitting like that for months,i watched some videos of others using the same formula and it looked to have similar viscosity to welders with faster curing time.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:44 PM
Springboro
Joined Sep 2004
148 Posts
I bought last 5 packs of Welder glue at the local Lowe's store, and they even dropped the price to $2.50 for a pack since it was discontinued product.
Smoke7 is offline Find More Posts by Smoke7
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:50 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
RCPlaneBuilder is suppose to have the new formula to currently or soon(was a while back when i inquired about it so im not sure),i'll get some on my next order for sure and build something with it to see what its like to work with. Someone local gave me a half bottle of the old formula but the cap was cracked and it was way to thick to use after sitting like that for months,i watched some videos of others using the same formula and it looked to have similar viscosity to welders with faster curing time.
Yep, still waiting on my shipment after a month. Hopefully this next week.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:13 AM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,154 Posts
Lowes carries an adhesive called GOOP which is an industrial adhesive much like Welders It works fantastic on foam and the only drawback being a wider nozzle with several other advantages. And it's only $3.49.

I built one using Goop last week and another today using Welders.

Goop = Strong, Sets quickly(don't wait around like with Welders), Easy clean up with alcohol.
The build with Goop wasn't nearly as messy as the Welders build and the bond seems just as strong. Even with the wider nozzle the build wasn't nearly as messy given the excess glue wipes away so much cleaner. Bonds quick so you can do your cleanup without worrying about breaking the bond.

Welders works fine but it was apparent after the first few minutes working with it that I preferred GOOP. It's just easier to work with.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest